What is your most valued Japan/Sylvian item?

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

What is your most valued Japan/Sylvian item?

Postby Blood of a Poet on Fri May 12, 2006 9:39 pm

I thought that it would be interesting to find out what valuable and/or collectable Japan/Sylvian items the forum members owned.

For me I would say the Weatherbox or Ember Glance - I'm not really much of a collector... I just happened to like David Sylvian at the time and bought them when they first came out. (Got the Weatherbox on sale at Tower for something like 30 or 40 bucks.)

Oh yeah, I've also got "Interview 87" which is a CD of an interview with David Sylvian from the radio along with a few black and white postcards - all packaged in a black 7" box that looks like it might have been a reel-to-reel tape box.
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

rare stuff

Postby dj_explain on Sat May 13, 2006 1:37 pm

in am an obsessive japan/sylvian collector
(not wanting to sound bigheaded!)but i do have a pretty huge collection of
rare vinyl/cd etc.....
just a few of my choice items are;
Life In Tokyo 7" Italian pic sleeve
1st LP New Zealand issue with unique sleeve
Gentlemen take Polaroids 7" autographed fully
I Second that Emotion portugese 7" i also have the sheet music
all the LPs and singles on Japanese import (much superior to UK issue esp.Oil on Canvas
witch comes with a fab 12 page booklet)
got Blemish on vinyl only 2000 of those babies around
Gods Monkey retrospective Cd
i also have many US promos Tiwanese tapes pic discs coloured vinyl & god knows how much else
when i get round to it i'll post a few choice pics on this site

dj
dj_explain
Noob
Noob

Most Valuable item

Postby Art of Parties on Wed May 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Also a huge collector of anything Japan and ex members and reckon i have nearly everything out there which over the years has cost me a fortune - curiously my most cherished item was free, it is an autographed drumskin from the last Japan concert in England, i was fortunate to get backstage and Steve Jansen just gave it to me - I don't think i even said thank-you, just stood there open mouthed - it has pride of place on the wall in my study
Im Burning!
Art of Parties
Noob
Noob

Postby dj_explain on Thu May 18, 2006 3:18 pm

jealous!!!!! I WANT THAT DRUM SKIN!!
i have never met any of the band ,but i can safely say i too would stand there open mouthed!
dj
dj_explain
Noob
Noob

Postby sylvian girl on Thu May 18, 2006 3:39 pm

ive got a signed (by david) visions of china single, so i think thats my most valued japan related item. i would love to be a collector of more things but im afraid money just doesnt allow it at the moment. Maybe one day.
sylvian girl
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu May 18, 2006 11:12 pm

My most prized possessions .... well I have a japan book that my Japanese penpal sent to me back in the 80s. That means a great deal as it was a gift and marks a period of time in my history.
I'm a photographer and my absolute most prized posession is my Perspectives book of David's mosaic polaroids. What I'd desperately love to aquire some day is the Japanese polaroid book. It sounds so lovely just to touch.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 19, 2006 12:26 am

Never tracked down a copy of Perspectives - but that's probably because every copy I have come across has been massively expensive.

When I read the question i immediately thought 'Weatherbox' but then thought a bit harder and came up with some others.

Like Blood Of A Poet, I too have Ember Glance, unfortunately it is one of the many that are split.

I think my most prized item is an autographed 12" of Taking The Veil - it was a UK promo, exactly the same as the retail version, but (funnily enough) autographed.

Other things are precious to me too - like the Red Vinyl of Second Thart Emotion (First Japan single I bought) my copy of Trophies, the Everything & Nothing Tour CD. There's probably more I'll remember lately.

Sonic

Oh and a copy of Flame autographed by Tim Bowness & Richard Barbieri.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 am

I have to say my copy of Tin Drum on cassette----the first Japan item I have ever owned.

As far as recently acquired items would be Weatherbox and two books called Japan Photostory and Sons of Pioneers.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 10:22 am

Ive only really recently started collecting stuff. I've just bought a Japanese magazine from 78 (Ongaku Senka) with 100 pages on Japan... (flippin heck I cant wait for it to arrive!)...and with the huge girly rush I got buying that I think I could get sucked into the collecting side of things.... :D

My prized possessions (and things I would probably save if my house was on fire) are things like my tatty old original Japan 7 inchers and LPs I bought in the early 80's and (sorry to sound big-headed) my drawing of the Tin Drum cover I did when I was 16 (in 1982) which is testament to my undying love for the band... 8)
Last edited by kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 3:49 pm

Never tracked down a copy of Perspectives - but that's probably because every copy I have come across has been massively expensive.

The reason these books are so expensive is because they are incredibly rare. I believe only 5000 copies of the book were printed in the first edition. Normally, first editions are worth more in general. And, I know that there were only 500 of the Japanese version of the book were done. The Japanese version is a piece of artwork unto itself as its an accordion style book. Would love to have it.... I've never even seen it up for sale.

If I were to ever meet David I would like him to sign my book and leave an inscription. That would be a dream for me....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:02 pm

I don't have too much Japan/Sylvian stuff, but I would say my most prized things are:

-Prophetique box set
-All of the remastered albums (Including the Tin Drum boxset)
-My Moonshadow comic (Should be arriving this week! Not really Japan/Sylvian but it's still too cool!)
-"The Last Romantic" (So much information, and a whole section of pictures!)
-And like Kinki, my sketchbook which is filled with drawings of Japan and David Sylvian! (Though none of my drawings are nearly as good as her drawing of the Tin Drum cover- It's fantastic and you should check it out in the photo gallery!)

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 19, 2006 11:02 pm

ah the Moonshadow comic - never did try to track that down either - if it's not too rude - how much did you have to pay for it?

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat May 20, 2006 9:38 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:ah the Moonshadow comic - never did try to track that down either - if it's not too rude - how much did you have to pay for it?

Sonic

Hi!

No, not rude at all! It was about $20.00 USD

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat May 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Not too crazy money then - hope it finds you in good condition

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Rob on Tue May 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi,

my collection is mostly made up of stuff most other people have but I do have a print of a caracature drawing done of band members and signed by them. I brought it in a record shop in Birmingham, UK in the early 80's. I have no idea who actually drew it. Has anyone elso come across this?

My other prize possesions are signed copies of Stone To Flesh by Jansen/Barbieri and a signed copy of Mick's album Each Eye A Path.

My most treasured Sylvian item is Trophies volume one. I gave it to a friend for his birthday one year. He knew how much I loved it and that it was out of print so gave back to me for my birthday the year after. I could never sell it as it has personal inscription to my friend and the one he wrote it in when he returned it. Worthless in one respect but priceless in another.

Rob
Rob
Noob
Noob

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia