"Sons of Pioneers" book

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

"Sons of Pioneers" book

Postby Savoy on Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Someone mentioned in a another thread that they were scanning in pics from "Sons of Pioneers". I'm actually going to buy a copy of this off of eBay, but since it's fairly expensive, I was wondering if there's any feedback on it from you guys. Is it worth the cash? Does it feel fresh every time you look at it? Which boys get the most photos? Is most of the book up on the albums already? haha. Anything would help - for $56 it should shoot fireworks, project holograms, prep lunch, and give me a 90-minute Swedish massage. w/ or w/o happy ending.
"I will not move my army without onions."
Ulysses S. Grant
Savoy
Regular
Regular

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:21 pm

I don't have the book , though I'm thinking of buying it when I save some money.
There are some pictures already scanned at the gallery and they are really beautiful. Take a look , they're great.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: "Sons of Pioneers" book

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Savoy wrote:Is it worth the cash?
For the price you mention, if it's the Japanese version I think that price is good (I would be willing to pay that). I think it's an okay price for the British version too, but that version has less pages and no color section. Compared in general to photography books of bands, I think these are nicely done. As far as collectibility is concerned, I have no clue if these are rare or desireable, so in that sense I'm not sure what would be considered a good price.

Savoy wrote:Does it feel fresh every time you look at it? Which boys get the most photos? Is most of the book up on the albums already? haha.
I've had it for about 20 years, don't know about it feeling fresh anymore, lol. As for who gets the most photos, maybe a slight edge to David and Steve; it's really pretty evenly spread between them. Very few band pics though. A few shots of Masami as well, plus pics of venues. In general, there is one pic per page, very few have multiple pictures.

From what I've noticed in the albums, maybe 20% of the book has been scanned, maybe less. (One or two on the Mick/Steve/Rich boards, a few on the Japan and a few on David's.)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:21 am

Just wanted to add that several of the photos have a grainy and/or soft-focus quality to them.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:56 pm

i would definately pay that for the japanese version.... i'm with hearts
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Savoy on Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:55 pm

Bad news: I slept through the auction end. X| Although I'm significantly less sad about it than I expected, I guess because it wasn't the Japanese version and I can make $56 last 18 months on eBay on other items. It still stings though. :cry:
"I will not move my army without onions."
Ulysses S. Grant
Savoy
Regular
Regular

Postby lastgoldstar on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:31 pm

I found a copy of the British version on Amazon Marketplace for $20, so of course I bought that instantly. And it fell through because the buyer said the book was damaged in storage or some other bull, meh. :roll:

But I did see the Japanese version floating around on eBay a while back for $25. I was flat broke when this came up, otherwise I would've bid.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:21 am

yeah i saw that too and had the same issue.... i want the japanese version big time!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:29 am

I ordered the English version off ebay over a month ago. It still hasn't arrived!! Does the Japanese version have more pictures? Or just more text.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:51 am

The Japanese version has more pics. There isn't any text in either one, except for captions beneath the pictures and some headers.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:59 am

Hmm... If I never recieve the English version (granted that I get my money back!) I will try to get the Japanese version- Sounds much better!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:12 am

It's a weird thing about the two versions, and I mentioned this in answer to a comment on a pic.

Although it has fewer pics, the English version does have some pics that the Japanese one doesn't.

Therefore, both are needed! LOL!
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:15 pm

heartofdavid wrote:Although it has fewer pics, the English version does have some pics that the Japanese one doesn't.

Therefore, both are needed! LOL!

Another ploy to get more money! Although it's definitely worth it.

Kera, weren't you talking about how you were still waiting for that book early last month? :shock: Have you contacted the seller about that? Very odd.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Well, speak of the devil. Just as I was sitting in school pondering about that book, and hoping it wouldn't arrive so I could get the money back and get the Japanese one- It arrived today!! It is so beautiful but it has a lot less pictures then the Japanese one! It would be so kind for someone who has the Japanese one to scan the extra pictures for us! :-)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:19 pm

Silver Moon wrote:It would be so kind for someone who has the Japanese one to scan the extra pictures for us! :-)

That's what I've been doing, thought I'd scan the whole thing actually, don't know how many people are familiar with or have the English version.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia