Proposal for Virgin era rarities compilation

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Proposal for Virgin era rarities compilation

Postby djshelf on Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 pm

As the remastered albums were lacking in bonus material, and the best of also failed to deliver promised single edits, any chance that Virgin/EMI will dip into the vaults and release a compilation of odds and ends? This is what I'd expect to see:

Japan “Rarities: 1980 – 1983”
Gentlemen Take Polaroids (single edit) [3.28]
Burning Bridges (b-side) [3.59]
The Width of A Room (b-side) [3.14]
The Experience of Swimming (b-side) [4.04]
Some Kind of Fool (original) [7.31]
The Art of Parties (7” single mix) [3.49]
Life Without Buildings [6.34]
Ghosts (single version) [3.55]
Visions of China (extended version) [4.20]
Taking Islands In Africa (remix) [4.57]
Nightporter (single edit) [5.01]
Ain’t That Peculiar (alternate version) [4.49]
Canton (live single mix) [5.15]
Voices Raised In Welcome, Hands Held In Prayer [3.31]

Anything missing? Obviously, some of these tracks are readily available, others have appeared on out-of-print compilations, and a few have never been on CD. You'd think EMI would be looking to cash in on the back catalog. I'm sure many of you have already assembled such a collection.

By the way, if anyone would care to share that single edit of "The Art of Parties" from the "Dance The Alternative Vol. 2" CD, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Gandhi
djshelf
Noob
Noob

Re: Proposal for Virgin era rarities compilation

Postby karnsculpture on Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 am

If they could licence the Japanese 7" edit of Quiet Life it would make the set a more attractive proposition for the casual buyer and collectors.

There were also '82 tour rehearsals of things like Rice Music and All Tomorrow's Parties that might exist, as well as the "Music from the October Gallery" AKA the Penguin Cafe tapes; 90 minutes of instrumental music put together by Sylvian & Barbieri wih all of Japan playing. None of the above are in the possession of Virgin so would require the ex-members involvement. The list you presented (and the Japanese Quiet Life single) would not.

Maybe there is a need for 2 different things - a rarities compilation and (my preference) a compilation of unreleased material including early versions of the Rain Tree Crow tracks etc.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Proposal for Virgin era rarities compilation

Postby deadbees on Thu May 27, 2010 7:53 am

I am confused by the original list and the statement 'the remastered albums were lacking in bonus material';

The Width of A Room (b-side) [3.14]
The Experience of Swimming (b-side) [4.04]
Taking Islands In Africa (remix) [4.57]
(surely these were included on the GTP remaster)

Life Without Buildings [6.34]
Ghosts (single version) [3.55]
(and these on the TD remaster)

Whilst I am as much of a completist as any huge Japan fan, it is not a necessity to have single edits re-issued on CD (where there is no difference in mix or instrumentation).

Visions of China (extended version) [4.20]
(for people who haven't heard it, it is really just a re-edit of the sections to increase the length slightly)

-the ones below I agree should be re-issued but perhaps as part of a CD/DVD compilation of Virgin era singles/B Sides with OGWT appearances added.
Burning Bridges (b-side) [3.59] - I assume you mean the alternate mix
Some Kind of Fool (original) [7.31]
Ain’t That Peculiar (alternate version) [4.49]
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia