The Only Daughter Album

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

The Only Daughter Album

Postby Despair on Tue May 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Ive not done bad with this. Playing it occasionally over the last 4/5 years, hated it at first, but slowly....slowly, its becoming my most played Sylvian album of late, along with Plight & Premonition.
Interestingly, a few weeks back, when seeing Sweet Billy Pilgrim live, i managed to speak for a short while with Tim Elsenberg. He was telling me about the remix he did for Sylvian, `The Heart Knows better`, and he was telling me, to hear Sylvians voice over studio monitors was very intimidating.
Reminds me of Ian Maidman, who played bass for Sylvian on Gone To earth, and toured with him in 1988, saying something like,"when Sylvian hits the low notes on stage, you can hear the voice rumble thru the stage". I think that was in the programme for the Shamans tour.
Anyways, just wanted to say, if you`ve neglected this album, cos like me, you considered it `watered down`, then give it another go.
My fave is still How Little We Need To Be Happy :P
Indeed.
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Only Daughter Album

Postby Simonp on Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 am

I play this album a lot myself. I love the SBP remix of The Heart Knows Better and opening track The Only Daughter is beautiful
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Fri May 08, 2009 4:00 pm

i hated these interpretations of Davids work at first and considered them to be totally pointless but as time moves on i have warmed to them, in particular the tracks where Derek Baileys contributions have been marginalised. As much as i love Blemish they (Baileys contributions) almost make the tracks unlistenable for me and hearing them in a new light on this record becomes a refreshing alternative to me.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sat May 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Bought this album a long time ago, but haven't really bothered to listen to it until now. which is a good thing, cause that means I almost have a new David Sylvian album to listen to!
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia