What's on your turntable?

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby krausy on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:26 pm

You know, considering his voice objectively, I can see how it would not be everyone's "cup of tea". David Sylvian is definitely an acquired taste. I must admit the reason I bought my first Japan record was for "Visions of China"---I thought it was the ultimate in funk song I had heard at the time, and still love it. It was "my song" for a long while, but that is as far as the fascination went---other than "Ghosts" I had a bit of a time getting into that album, and pretty much thought David was the only one worth looking at.

Zoom ahead twenty some years, and I can hardly believe I was so lukewarm on them as I had been. Yeah, Tin Drum really grew on me, and from time to time I would drag it out for a listen every year or so, but now, heck, I can't imagine a day going by without listening to something of theirs or David's. Just the way things happen I guess.

I can say Morrisey's voice used to grind on my nerves when I first heard it, but I acquired a taste for his voice too.

Your Mum may never acquire her taste for David, but you never know---she very well could to your surprise!!!!

Heck, my Mum surprised me plenty growing up----she likes David Bowie, Boy George, Haircut 100---I was impressed. In turn I loved some of her favorites like Judy Garland.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:04 pm

totally agreed... my mom even took me to see power station, duran duran and sting in concert.... and you need to understand my mom was probably in her late 50s when power station toured.... 60 something for duran and sting. And she is now 80 and planned to go see duran with me last year on tour (last minute i decided i didn't feel like driving to florida). If david were to tour i'm sure if i had no one else to ask to go with me she would gladly come. She is up for anything once!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Wow - there are some cool Mums out there. My parents despaired at my taste in music as a teenager and would never have DREAMED of taking me to a gig other than a classical one...

--

Im still into Adolescent Sex at the moment. The album, not the activity, in case you were worried :twisted:

And my rucksack has an ever growing CD collection which is ferried from home to work to home again so I have all manner of Japan/Sylvian/JBK etc at my disposal for whatever mood I am in!
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Sweet!! Are you still going to get "Everything and Nothing" and "Alchemy..." I can't wait if you do!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby kinki on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:12 pm

Oh yes! Im getting the whole lot - I just have to let my bank account/credit card recover for a bit before the next mad spending spree. :D :roll:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:39 pm

krausy wrote:You know, considering his voice objectively, I can see how it would not be everyone's "cup of tea". David Sylvian is definitely an acquired taste. I must admit the reason I bought my first Japan record was for "Visions of China"---I thought it was the ultimate in funk song I had heard at the time, and still love it. It was "my song" for a long while, but that is as far as the fascination went---other than "Ghosts" I had a bit of a time getting into that album, and pretty much thought David was the only one worth looking at.

I can say Morrisey's voice used to grind on my nerves when I first heard it, but I acquired a taste for his voice too.

Your Mum may never acquire her taste for David, but you never know---she very well could to your surprise!!!!

Oh, I completely know what you mean, Krausy. Of course, once I get out of my "obsessive fan" mode. ;-) I loved David's voice from the first minute I heard it (Morrissey's too, at that), but I do see how one would have to get used to it. Judging from reviews and other things I've read online, David's voice is definitely in the "love it or hate it" category. That reminds me of some user review I read on rateyourmusic.com (I think it's called that) that said Japan were great but they needed to sack David as lead vocalist and give the job back to Mick. Ouch, poor David, ha ha.

I'd like to think that mummy has a nice David Sylvian collection that she listens to only when I'm not around. :-D
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:49 am

lastgoldstar wrote:I'd like to think that mummy has a nice David Sylvian collection that she listens to only when I'm not around. :-D

She probably has, and a secret David shrine too! ...heh...

I've never really considered how others might find David's voice...Personally I cant see why anyone could dislike it - it's so lyrical and gentle and expressive. But obviously he has his detractors...I think I can remember fellow schoolmates saying things like 'he sounds like a big fairy' or words to that effect...

And Mick, much as I love the bones of him, cant sing THAT well. Ho ho ho(sorry mate!)
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Oh yeah, kinki----I used to hear the exact same words throughout high school----"they are fags" , "they sound gay", "he is queer"---back when every one of my fellow classmates were totally obsessed with homophobia. Thank goodness I don't see as many of today's teenagers being that uptight about the subject---we have managed to make some progress in twenty-plus years.............

But back then if it wasn't Lynard Skynard, then most peeps around here wouldn't listen. Now, you hear these people calling up the radio station during retro hour and requesting new wave, and I'm thinking, "yeah right, you didn't listen to it twenty years ago, why start now?"

okay okay, I'm getting off my soapbox!!!!!

"And THAT's what I like about the South!!" :lol:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Hahaha, if you have a local band around here, and you don't play "Freebird" at every show- You may as well just quit now!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby kinki on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:12 pm

krausy wrote:Now, you hear these people calling up the radio station during retro hour and requesting new wave, and I'm thinking, "yeah right, you didn't listen to it twenty years ago, why start now?"

Because it takes time to appreciate good music!!! They're probably the same people who called them 'fags' back in the 80s. :wink:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:43 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Hahaha, if you have a local band around here, and you don't play "Freebird" at every show- You may as well just quit now!!

-K-

Noooo, not Freebird! :roll: Same here, ha ha. Sadly, it was almost our class song...
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Krishna-Lila on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:46 am

I was called a fag simply for listening to Japan's music. I had the misfortune of going to an all boys school, where the acme of musical expression was considered to be Iron Maiden or Def Leopard etc. My reaction was to play on a Bowie-like image of ambiguous sexuality. I wore make-up. I styled my hair like Steve Jansen's on the cover of Quiet life. I even shaved my eyebrows once (I looked a prat and not at all like Mick Karn, or David Bowie!). I hung out with other like-minded 'pretty young things' and even had 'experimental' relationships with other boys. The funny thing was that, much to everyones envy, I got quite a lot of interest from the girls at nearby schools.
In a curious way, however, the musically challenged bullies might have had the last laugh since nowadays I actually quite like 'freebird'!!!!!
'deconstruction is the possibility of justice' j. derrida
Krishna-Lila
Regular
Regular

Postby kinki on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:30 am

Krishna-Lila wrote:I was called a hairy fairy simply for listening to Japan's music. I had the misfortune of going to an all boys school, where the acme of musical expression was considered to be Iron Maiden or Def Leopard etc. My reaction was to play on a Bowie-like image of ambiguous sexuality. I wore make-up. I styled my hair like Steve Jansen's on the cover of Quiet life. I even shaved my eyebrows once (I looked a prat and not at all like Mick Karn, or David Bowie!). I hung out with other like-minded 'pretty young things' and even had 'experimental' relationships with other boys. The funny thing was that, much to everyones envy, I got quite a lot of interest from the girls at nearby schools.

Wow - Id have fancied the pants off you I think!!! Excellent rebellious behaviour. We love it.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Krishna-Lila wrote:I was called a hairy fairy simply for listening to Japan's music. I had the misfortune of going to an all boys school, where the acme of musical expression was considered to be Iron Maiden or Def Leopard etc. My reaction was to play on a Bowie-like image of ambiguous sexuality. I wore make-up. I styled my hair like Steve Jansen's on the cover of Quiet life. I even shaved my eyebrows once (I looked a prat and not at all like Mick Karn, or David Bowie!). I hung out with other like-minded 'pretty young things' and even had 'experimental' relationships with other boys. The funny thing was that, much to everyones envy, I got quite a lot of interest from the girls at nearby schools.
In a curious way, however, the musically challenged bullies might have had the last laugh since nowadays I actually quite like 'freebird'!!!!!

That is so cool! Do you have any pictures of yourself from those days? If so, please post them in your personal gallery! I would love to see them!!

Also, I'm not slamming Freebird or anything- It's ok! Its just it's basically my schools theme song!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Krishna-Lila on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Im not sure Ive got any photographs of me with my Jansen locks. But Ive got plenty from my university days when I went blond and tried to look more like David. It really didnt work, I looked terrible (who was i trying to kid thinking i could look like David)!! I'll see if i can dig them out for a laugh!
I havent grown out of my obsession with fashion, although these days my icon is Bowie 1978 (french crop hair, skinny jeans, red-wing boots). What i really want is for double breasted shirts to come back into fashion.
'deconstruction is the possibility of justice' j. derrida
Krishna-Lila
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia