Where to look for 'Japan' vinyl rarities?

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Where to look for 'Japan' vinyl rarities?

Postby The Nightporter on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 am

In the late 80's I had built up an exhaustive collection of 'Japan' vinyl but.........regretting it more as time has moved on..........I sold some really rare and prized items off arond 88/89.

Now, although I still have 70% (ish) or so of that collection remaining, I keep thinking that I want to replace those vinyl gems and reestablish my collection.

The question I have is this. Back in my heady collecting days, the only sources of Japan rarities were:

'Record Collector' magazine
Music Press Classified Ad's
Record Fairs.

So in this high tech age, where I know that things have really moved on, where is the best place to find some of the rarer end of Japan vinyl rarities?

I have not looked as yet, but how is e-bay for these? Does anything at all rare turn up? Can anyone recommend good vinyl dealers or good and trusted on-line dealers in these items?

All help really will be well received people......... :D
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:08 am

Dunno where you live, but I would still say record fairs are the way to go. I no longer have a turntable, but when I go to fairs I see quite a lot of what I would call desirable - some of which I used to have myself and some of which I didn't.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Nightporter on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 am

A few years ago while living in Norwich I used to regularly attend Record Fairs and although they were always well attended, the demand for Japan (and related) material meant that there was virtually no pieces present. In fact, the only Japan items on offer were very common and not the ones of rarer value which I am looking for.

I am looking specifically for things like:

7" The Japanese Red Vinyl Flexi

7" Don't Rain On My Parade - German Picture Sleeve

7" Don't Rain On My Parade - Italian Sleeve

7" Adolescent Sex - Italian Promo Picture Sleeve

7" Life In Tokyo - Italian Hansa SIR 20213

.......and the like.

I fully understand that some of these are 'Holy Grail' items however, if you do not ask the question then you will rarely find the answer.

The sad thing is that I once owned all of the above items and I am now determined toat least investigate getting them back.

Hopeful in anticipation.
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I have seen some - although not all - of the items you listed in fairs in Manchester.

If you still live in East Anglia, you need your head testing... sorry, that's a joke. I grew up there and would rather stick pins in my eyes than live there again. Anyway, what I was GOING to say was - if you do still live there how about going to fairs in London?
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Nightporter on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 am

As I now live in Cornwall I may well have to forego the Record Fair element however, if any arise I will make the effort to get there.

I was pleased to read that you saw some of the items I listed for sale at a Manchester fair, did you by any chance notice the prices at all?

I think my main area of attack is going to have to be through Vinyl dealers.........

So, come on guys and girls, how is good for the rarer end of collecting Japan vinyl and who should be avoided?

All help will be well received.
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 am

I didn't but can keep an eye out in the future if you like...?

Record Collector still do the listings of fairs don't they? There must be some in the South West, even though there might not be as much choice as there would be in a metropolitan area...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Nightporter on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:50 am

I would indeed appreciate it if you could keep an eye out for me, it will undoubtedly help in the long run.

So, that aside can anyone spread some info on vinyl dealers that may hold these type of Japan rarities?

I know all the ones I listed are rare however, they do exist and they are out there................. :)
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:23 am

The Nightporter wrote:I would indeed appreciate it if you could keep an eye out for me, it will undoubtedly help in the long run.

Np :D
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Nightporter on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 am

With fingers crossed that anortherncod may turn up some Japan rarities at the Manchester Record Fairs.........

Where do you guys buy your rarer Japan vinyl? What on line vinyl dealers are good and who should be avoided?....

Your help will be well received... :D
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:05 pm

I really have no clue what's really rare on the Japan vinyl world. I have a few records, not that many really, so dunno if I have anything of value. Probably not! The one I like better though is the Cantonese Boy double 7", signed by all except Mick. Me likes that one!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Holmewood on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:28 am

The Nightporter wrote:I am looking specifically for things like:

7.......and the like.

I fully understand that some of these are 'Holy Grail' items however, if you do not ask the question then you will rarely find the answer.

The sad thing is that I once owned all of the above items and I am now determined toat least investigate getting them back.

Hopeful in anticipation.

I've got the red Jap 7" flexi with the spoken A/Sex lyrics - if that's the one you mean (there was another if I recall too). If you're still after it, let me know.

I've got a fair bit of Japan vinyl, inc some rarities, and have no use for it anymore but trying to sell is difficult nowadays as most people don't own turntables - and even if you only collect, most like to play some of their collection every now and then, and the hard collectors have mostly complete collections already...

But if anyone desperately needs the blue "LFB" 7" Trouser Press flexi, "Taking the Veil" 7" picture disc or blue or black vinyl japanese "The Singles" amongst others etc etc let me know ;-)
Holmewood

Postby The Nightporter on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 am

Holmewood wrote:
The Nightporter wrote:I am looking specifically for things like:

7.......and the like.

Hopeful in anticipation.

I've got the red Jap 7" flexi with the spoken A/Sex lyrics - if that's the one you mean (there was another if I recall too). If you're still after it, let me know.

I've got a fair bit of Japan vinyl, inc some rarities, and have no use for it anymore but trying to sell is difficult nowadays as most people don't own turntables - and even if you only collect, most like to play some of their collection every now and then, and the hard collectors have mostly complete collections already...

But if anyone desperately needs the blue "LFB" 7" Trouser Press flexi, "Taking the Veil" 7" picture disc or blue or black vinyl japanese "The Singles" amongst others etc etc let me know ;-)

A good start to the day!

PM sent...... :D
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Postby Uponthisearth on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:02 am

I usually go online to find something rare or unofficial, but I don't collect vinyls. When I was looking for unofficial DVDs, I found a site deals a lot of vinyls, 12 inches, and 7 inches. If you haven't checked this before, it might be at least worth a try.

http://www.cdandlp.com/index.cfm?lng=2
Uponthisearth
Noob
Noob

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia