Who Else Do You Collect....And Why ??

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Who Else Do You Collect....And Why ??

Postby Despair on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:44 am

Me, apart from Sylvian/JAPAN, im a David Bowie collector. Been into Bowie since 1980, closely followed by JAPAN, so been trying to collect evertything and anything by these three artistes.
Its bloody expensive, but hugely enjoyable.

So, who else do you collect ??
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:49 am

Nobody else!!! Unless you count PT, but they will be forever linked with Japan in my mind.

You'd have to be really on the ball to collect more than one band imho...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:00 am

well... Sakamoto, wich is kind of horror.
too many releases never reach out of Japan.
but sure it's fun.
and yes, it's kind of linked to Sylvian.
and I do have every Vocal Studio recording of Chet Baker.
became a fan after seeing him live in 1984.
David and Chet carry the only male voices i adore.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:49 am

i collect duran duran items as well.... but weirdly enough it is connected to japan/ds because it was nick rhodes guest vjing on mtv in 1983 selecting to play a japan video as one of his favourites....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 am

I collect some Japan but mainly Duran Duran and Presuntos Implicados (my fave Spanish band). Of DD I have some rare releases that might be worth some $$$. Also Porcupine Tree and related, though just want the main stuff, don't collect all editions and such (knowing Steven Wilson that can make you VERY poor!)

On cinema stuff, Kenneth Branagh is my fave actor and also collect his material. :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:55 am

style council singles. stopped years ago though. i would never pay more than £ 2.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby E.T. on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:31 pm

I collected Culture Club / Boy George things in late 90's. I bought everything I found it holds Culture Club and Boy George... CDs, LPs, Ministry of sounds compilation albums, other DJ mix Albums, Pierre et Gilles picture book, magazines, Viva Rock, etc. some of those become very useful again now, because those magazines holds a lot of articles of Japan, David Sylvian, Mick Karn, Richard Barbieri, Steve Jansen and Dolphin Brothers.
I bought then "Virgin In The Air Tonight" ( Virgin 20th anniversary memory) compilation album, it contains "Ghosts" by Japan, but I didn't notice Japan. I didn't listen to it at all.

Now I collect Phoenix, but not so many. also I collect their friends Daft Punk and Air (Album only), then I found Japan in "LateNightTales"... at first, I liked Scott Walkers, soon I became crazy about Japan.
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:35 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:i collect duran duran items as well.... but weirdly enough it is connected to japan/ds because it was nick rhodes guest vjing on mtv in 1983 selecting to play a japan video as one of his favourites....

I probably have a good numbe of dd items that are worth money now... I recently obtained Nick Rhodes photography book... That i'll never sell it took me over 20 years to get ahold of a copy of it... Same with david's polaroid book... will NEVER sell my copy... I love it so much.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:53 am

Besides DS and Japan, I also collect:

1. Arcadia - my favourite Duran era, besides Rio. Something about it just fascinates me, (and no, not just Nick!!)

2. Dragon, Pink Flamingos and Hello Sailor - Legendary Kiwi bands, often referred to as Ponsonby Reggae, classic pub rock. And their stuff is getting rather highly prized!!

3. A book called "17 ways to eat mango" by Joshua Kadison, (remember him from the 90s??), anyway it is a great uplifting book, and I find myself collecting it in different languages... Chinese is most amusing.

4. Anything and everything I can find on my favourite historical figure, - Dr John William Polidori MD, (Byron's physician and travelling companion of 1816 - and also the godfather of the modern vampire movement!). I can't help but feel sorry and fascinated by him at the same time....

I also feel sorry for my bank account balance at the moment!...
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:12 am

Thanx for the replies.

That Nick Rhodes book .... i remember SMASH HITS giving some of those books away in a competition ....was it called `Interference` ??

How did it compare to Sylvians `Perspectives` book. I love the Sylvian book.
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:51 am

Despair wrote:Thanx for the replies.

That Nick Rhodes book .... i remember SMASH HITS giving some of those books away in a competition ....was it called `Interference` ??

How did it compare to Sylvians `Perspectives` book. I love the Sylvian book.

Yes it is titled "Interference".... one can't compare the two really based on artwork. Nick's is very abstract and almost without meaning or depth in the conventional sense compared to david's. Nick's are abstract polaroids taken very close up to television screens so what is rendered is more of a colour block study. David's too is abstract in a sense, but definitely has an easier way about looking at it. However, I could very easily go into david's very deeply in critique (critique not being a negative or positive). Nick's book was a softcover and of course that means if you spread the book open entirely it breaks the spine and ruins its structural integrity. David's is a hardcover. Nick's is very postmodern ... David's , to me, falls in the modernist era but was created in a post modern world. Nick's is very stylishly... almost trendy... in its layout. David's is definitely a more traditional art book... "coffee table" layout... however it by no means is a coffee table book.

I very much enjoy both these books for entirely different reasons.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:04 am

I'm not a mad collector or a total completist , basically because I don't have enough money to do that... :wink: lol But apart from Japan/Sylvian, I collect DD ,Placebo and Suede items the most, and lately I'm getting deep into artists like The Raveonettes, Delays and Patrick Wolf.

Most of my items are just music releases (and DVD's) since I don't have much money to spend in other stuff, except for Placebo and Suede, because they've been two of my favourites since I was a teen and in such a long time I've been collecting another stuff such as books, posters, etc
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:51 pm

gee i didn't even think non musical stuff... I do collect photography books and Polaroid cameras.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:24 pm

I got a copy of Interference not that long ago. Weird book, but nice anyway :)

Cause someone mentioned Arcadia, one single by them that I've looked for all around is El Diablo, Spanish promo pressing, just 300 of them were made. Sadly I never got one, but a friend showed me his (and I took a pic of him getting it signed by Simon ;))
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:26 pm

How much does `Interference` go for now ??
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia