Who Else Do You Collect....And Why ??

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Mine wasn't too cheap, $35+postage, but I've seen it go for a lot more, so I'd say it was quite a bargain, that's why I got it!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Let's see...
When it comes to Sylvian's solo career, I am a thorough completist.

I am a completist when it comes to Massive Attack : Every album, every single, every contribution and every remix.
why? Because they groove in a cool manner. And they function well on two distinct levels - different sides of the spectrum, let's say - they come across as simple yet at the same time very deep, strangely sophisticated and intelligent. they collaborate with a wide range of artists and have not been afraid to allow their sound to incorporate a wide array of styles in order to merge with this unique thing that the critics have called 'trip-hop'.

I am an avid collector of pianist Philip Aaberg : All of his album releases, all of his collaborations, as well as his many contributions to Windham Hill compilations and samplers - about 50 CDs in total.
why? Because his playing is moving on an emotional and technical level, his facility on his instrument is awe inspiring and his compositional skills are of a high quality. he can convincingly play in any style of music.

I have tons of cds by Sting : Every album, every single, a lot of contributions and a whole boatload of live bootlegs - yet not complete by any means.
why? Because he incorporates so many diverse styles and musical genres into his pop music, he surrounds himself with world class musicians and he can usually write pretty decent songs that i more often than not enjoy.

Frank Zappa. Everything from 'Freak Out' to 'The Yellow Shark' - which is a h*ll of a lot of music.
why? Zappa was in a class of his own and I enjoy being challenged by such genius.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Despair wrote:How much does `Interference` go for now ??

I found it used on Amazon about 3 years ago.... believe i paid around 40 for it plus shipping. It is in very good condition. LOL in fact I think it actually sold for more when it first came out... that is the only reason i can think of that i didn't buy it back then....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:02 pm

baht habit wrote:I am a completist when it comes to Massive Attack : Every album, every single, every contribution and every remix.
why? Because they groove in a cool manner. And they function well on two distinct levels - different sides of the spectrum, let's say - they come across as simple yet at the same time very deep, strangely sophisticated and intelligent. they collaborate with a wide range of artists and have not been afraid to allow their sound to incorporate a wide array of styles in order to merge with this unique thing that the critics have called 'trip-hop'.

Totally agree with you on that. I'm a huge fan of them too :)

About the photography albums, I really want to get them both. I hope I'll find them for a nice price someday :wink:
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:41 pm

I guess I have all Cocteau Twins
including some really rare things.
and all Portishead too, I guess...
but wouldn't really call myself a devoted collector
Last edited by Chet on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:49 am

I loved Massive Attack and saw them at the Hacienda (before it was turned into flats...) but haven't bought anything of theirs for a good while...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:47 pm

They have a new one expected to be released later this year or early 2009. From what I have heard, it seems as though they are attempting to step away from the icy ambience of their last few releases and are trying to incorporate more groove much like their work in the 90s.
I had mentioned this before and I still think a Sylvian/Massive Attack collaboration would be a good one.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm not so sure of Massive Sylvian. the Massive Bowie thing was dull.
but always curious to hear what old Bristol brings
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:39 am

Ryuichi Sakamoto and Bill Nelson; a huge collection of virtually everything in both cases
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Chet wrote:I'm not so sure of Massive Sylvian. the Massive Bowie thing was dull.
but always curious to hear what old Bristol brings

I assume you are referring to the cover of Nature Boy which was included on that ridiculous Moulin Rouge soundtrack. Since that cut was basically a collaboration that Bowie did with orchestrator Craig Armstrong, which Robert Del Naja and Neil Davidge then added an incongruous rhythm track and some incidental electronics, I would hardly consider that a reason to doubt the merits of a possible collaboration between Massive Attack and David Sylvian.
Not that I intend to question the overall logic of your comment or anything....
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 am

Porcupine Tree - though that with a limited budget is quite a futile quest. Even being in from earlier on. :(

Anything else SW related - which pretty much is in the same boat as above - the man seriously needs to take a year off when he says he's going to take a year off. FFS, my bank account can't take it!

Got all Echolyn's stuff - but that's not too difficult. :P V much looking forward to the new album.

Marillion - I make sure I have all their stuff and they along with Duran Duran were responsible for flaming this collector addiction in me and probably why I have no savings to speak of. Tho, I've kinda gone off having everything with the marillion name on it cos they are far worse than SW/PT for oversaturating the market with crap they can rape their fans with.

Duran - suppose they still get a mention. Still have to have all the albums, but not so much everything they ever touched.

Loads of other bands I at least need their full discography - too many to list. It's kept me practically in the poor house. One day I'll figure out how to get ahead, but until then, I'll keep listening happily. Music discovery totally fuels me. :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:40 am

Progrl
Duran - suppose they still get a mention. Still have to have all the albums, but not so much everything they ever touched.

hey girl that is so funny.... when they did their last reunion tour i went wild on ebay collecting all those things i never had money for as a kid. Now i'm like... WTF do i do with it all. LOL I SO didn't need this stuff. It is just more to store up my arse with all my other sh*t. HA HA HA
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:14 pm

About Duran, I started to collect again in Pop Trash times when I discovered Ebay. :shock: Good thing, because since the reunion everything is a lot more expensive! I wanted to at least get all the tour books and now the older ones are awfully expensive!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:59 pm

sisterlondon wrote:About Duran, I started to collect again in Pop Trash times when I discovered Ebay. :shock: Good thing, because since the reunion everything is a lot more expensive! I wanted to at least get all the tour books and now the older ones are awfully expensive!

yeah i had all these to start with. Well not all the tourbooks. But the ones I wanted. To be honest I didn't follow them when they made warren a member. For me it was always the original duran up to big thing. I did buy liberty and followed them a while during that... I always bought their cds they put out except for pop trash and medazzaland. WORST THINGS EVER LOL Then during the reunion i managed to collect the rest of the collection of the british fanzine ... I then needed some money and sold one issue only. I think it was a john cover and sold for about 25 bucks. Ugh seriously now I just have a lot of things of theirs. I wish I had more on David and Japan to be honest. LOL
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:29 am

I have always liked tourbooks, so that's what I started to buy. The first thing I got on ebay was the 1984 one but then that's the easiest one to find! The 1st two were the reluctant ones and they weren't that cheap in the end (though according with John, what I paid for the 1st was a good deal).

I do like Medazzaland and Pop Trash, but I was quite lost on the Medazzaland era because it was never released here. So I have to ctach up when I discovered it on internet! Also then I started to be around TTP and buy John's solo stuff... so many things more to buy, LOL!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia