Adolescent Sex 30th Anniversary 1st April 2008

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby japanfan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:34 am

Adolescent sex is awesome, it has so many great tracks such as the unconventional, lovers on main street, performance, suburban love i could go on. This album is my joint favourite with Quiet Life every song is musically very strong, when listening to it i never skip a track. I also prefer Sylvians singing style on Adolescent sex to any other Japan album.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby anortherncod on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:48 am

japanfan wrote:Adolescent sex is awesome, it has so many great tracks such as the unconventional, lovers on main street, performance, suburban love i could go on. This album is my joint favourite with Quiet Life every song is musically very strong, when listening to it i never skip a track. I also prefer Sylvians singing style on Adolescent sex to any other Japan album.

I've already emailed the Pioneers group about this, but now thinking about The Unconventional, I agree with you, Japanfan, that's another great song.

I think I have mentioned elsewhere here (if I remember correctly Liberty Boy started a thread called 'AS album - reappraisal') that the style of AS and OA is comparable to what groups like Razorlight are doing today - only I'd much rather have Japan of course :D . But I think that's a relevant point. I spit in disgust - well, metaphorically at least - when I hear people raving about Hard-Fi, because all I can hear is The Clash, who again were so much better at doing it.

And what about that remix someone did of the title track? I think I saw on the website of Manchester's Vinyl Exchange that they have a promo copy of that (they're good for promos in general). Now watch someone gazump me and buy it!

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:17 pm

I dont know how some people can say AS is crap. I think maybe they need their hearing tested!
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Well, I'm humbled at being the first person quoted on the page in question! I'm not worthy, etc etc...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:43 pm

karnsculpture wrote:You were the first one to email anything in!

Well, nonetheless... I got rather excited!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:19 pm

So its 30 years old !!!

Id like to tell you all about how i bought it, but i can`t , cos i never bought it, i pinched it , nicked it, as we say here in Manchester. I basically shoplifted it from Woolies in Piccadilly Manchester.
Why ??
Well i went through a bit of a phase in the early 80`s of pilfering things.
My Older brother bought home the Quiet Life single, and i fell in love with it, and so i pilfered the Quite Life album first. Again, i say album, it was the cassette on the `fame` label. And a few weeks later, i did the double deed of pilfering Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives together, both on the `fame` cassettes.
I thought there was something wrong with the tape at first. Sylvians voice sounded so strange, but i could hardly take em back could i ???
But, that summer, those tapes came everywhere with me, and a long-standing love arose for songs like Suburban Love, Television and Transmission.
Later, i bought, legally, a copy of an illegal record :D the Live From Budokan album, and i love the version of Suburban Love on that.

I have an original cutting from the NME, June 24th 1978 JAPAN: NIGHT FEVER FOR THE GEISHA BOYS, basically scathing of the band, but you gotta love em havent ya ?

Paul, if you need a scan, let me know.

But in hindsight, no-one could`ve guessed where we all would be now, 30 years later, Sylvians latest release being NAOSHIMA.

From GEISHA TO NAOSHIMA

Its been an exhilarating journey !
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Astronaut on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Despair - you really live up to your name dont you? You really make me despair - You 'nicked' tapes from Woolies? How could you? Tut! Tut! Tut! SHAME ON YOU! Depriving poor old David and Mick and Rich and Rob and not forgetting poor little old Steve of their 2p of royalties! The shame of it! :lol: It certainly has been an 'exhilarating' journey and an extraordinary one too ...

30 years eh? Wow! Such a long time has elapsed. But the album still sounds fresh and new to me. When compared to other acts that were around in 1978, AS sounds amazing, contemporary even? Maybe? Perhaps my critical faculties are clouded by my overall love of anything connected to Japan (the group - obv!) I appreciate comments by those who do not like the album very much, but admit there are at least one or two tracks worthy of commendation, but to slate the whole album as being a load of s**t is not only insulting to the people who produced it (altho' they may well agree!) it also shows a remarakable contempt for music generally. I didn't buy the vinyl version of AS - I only purchased it very recently, but I love it. Simple as that. I love it. It doesn't matter to me one iota that David's vocals are a bit, er, how can I say this politely? A bit - unexpected! High pitched and screeching - but that suits the songs perfectly, and also the age of the guy singing them (I hope that didn't sound patronising?) I just think the whole thing reflects the time and the guys who created it and what they were trying to do perfectly. Can't say more than that really ... :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:27 am

Despair - you really live up to your name dont you? You really make me despair - You 'nicked' tapes from Woolies? How could you? Tut! Tut! Tut! SHAME ON YOU! Depriving poor old David and Mick and Rich and Rob and not forgetting poor little old Steve of their 2p of royalties! The shame of it!

Ok ok, dont rub it in :cry:
Since then, i think ive contributed quite healthily to all members respective bank balances...honest guv !!
But at £2.99 a pop, they were out of my range, being a poor council estate dweller.
I had my Ipod on today, and had another listen to Transmission & Suburban Love....both sounded great, but lets be honest...dated !!
Its easy to see why the boys got fed-up very quickly with Ray Singer and their general direction, but they did still perform the odd track from this album up till their final tour.

Anyways, as a final defence, all art should be free...so there :P
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Despair on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:11 am

With Polaroids, the last 2 tracks recorded were Taking Islands In Africa and Burning Bridges - again both not TOO unlike Tin Drum

Hiya Paul.
I agreed, and read with interest, the whole post there, but disagree with the last paragraph. I dont hear much similarity with those last two trax, and Tin Drum. Perhaps its the lack of Mick`s Bass playing on those last two trax.

Do you have dates of actual recordings Paul ??
And when are you doing a book on JAPAN ?? :P
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:06 pm

karnsculpture wrote:About a book, it was talked about, working with an established author who is also a fan, but since we heard about Mick doing a book the idea has gone on the backburner. I think I'd rather contribute to or collaborate on a book than write one alone.

If you ever change your mind, I'll co-write with you!!!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia