Favourite Tin Drum track

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Favourite Tin Drum track

The Art Of Parties
11%
Talking Drum
10%
Ghosts
16%
Still Life In Mobile Homes
17%
Visions Of China
25%
Sons Of Pioneers
17%
Cantonese Boy
2%
Canton
1%
Life Without Buildings
1%

Total votes : 89

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:51 am

Ghosts! so random, but this track atracted me to listen to more Japan.
I could put Canton and Visions of China in the 2nd place, but yeah, Ghosts is the top :)
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby VaporTrail on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Sons of Pioneers. This was the song I was listening to when Japan "clicked" for me and I freaked out! :-D, Silver Moon I'm sure remembers that day!
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby liberty boy on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:47 pm

I have to say I think Tin Drum in general is a great album throughout. I listened to Oil on Canvas the other day- which contains most of the material from Tin Drum. I came to realise just how unique and inventive Tin Drum was- the attempt to programme synths to reproduce the sounds of imaginery instruments.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby The Nightporter on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:41 am

The Art of Parties....................

It was a very close call in between this and 'Sons Of Pioneers' but 'The Art of Parties' just edged it for me.

'Tin Drum' for me was a marked point in decline for Japan's output. I could never get my head around 'Visions Of China' or 'Cantonese Boy' yet, on the other hand apart from the 2 already mentioned above, 'Ghosts' and 'Talking Drum' still retained a unique Japan feel and I have never thought all the tracks 'matched up' as a album (wheras 'Quiet Life' and 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' did seamlessly), rather just a compilation of tracks put together.
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Re: Favourite Tin Drum track

Postby Rain on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:14 am

I had to pick Visions of China - without this song I may never have discovered Japan!
But Tin Drum is probably my favourite album, so if I hadn't chosen Visions of China for sentimental reasons, I probably wouldn't be able to decide ;D
Rain
Regular
Regular

Postby BobbyVey on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:18 am

As the Rain's opposite, 'Tin Drum' is my least favourite Japan LP. Too dense concentration of far-east bias for my taste. However, some songs are still the master pieces...
I'll pick two tracks, latter not on the original edition though
-Sons Of Pioneers
-Life Without Buildings
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby tracycowell on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 pm

It has to be Ghosts for me, as that's what drew me to Japan. I was a mesmerised 12 year old :-D
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Postby erika_fiore on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:00 pm

I think Ghosts scapes of the mood of the album...my fav will be always Art of Parties....but I´ve been listening to Canton a lot these days.
erika_fiore
Noob
Noob

Re:

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:59 pm

The Nightporter wrote:The Art of Parties....................

It was a very close call in between this and 'Sons Of Pioneers' but 'The Art of Parties' just edged it for me.

'Tin Drum' for me was a marked point in decline for Japan's output. I could never get my head around 'Visions Of China' or 'Cantonese Boy' yet, on the other hand apart from the 2 already mentioned above, 'Ghosts' and 'Talking Drum' still retained a unique Japan feel and I have never thought all the tracks 'matched up' as a album (wheras 'Quiet Life' and 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' did seamlessly), rather just a compilation of tracks put together.

I had to think about this one......that's not easy for me to do as I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to using my brain. Like the nightporter I was undecided between Sons Of Pioneers and The Art of Parties. I know I prefer TAOP but I chose SOP as I don't think TAOP belongs on this album - I think it's the culmination of an 'earlier' era and the other tracks are more akin to the 'next' era. Still a favourite album tho.

Forgive my crudeness in this attempt at explaining my decision - I don't normally try and understand my decisions. If I like something I like it, if I don't......I don't. I'm not one for picking things apart and trying to analyse every single line or note, that for me is best left to the artist as they (generally) know the meanings should any exist.

Anyhooo, that's me all worn out now, time for a Bulmers. :smt058
Jackal
Regular
Regular

Postby InVogue on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:20 pm

My vote is for Visions Of China. I discovered Japan with this song so it´s quite special to me. I was and still is intrigued by this song, it doesn´t sound like anything else. Tin Drum was the first Japan album I heard, it was very good and is a classic but then I was even more impressed when I found out that the previous two albums was even better!
InVogue
Noob
Noob

Postby dconnery1966 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:39 am

Visions of China no doubt about it brilliant Song and brilliant Video.
Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby digimarsh on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 am

ghosts it has to be
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Q Quarters on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:00 pm

"Still Life In Mobile Homes" is the best album track for me. Incredible stuff from Mick and Steve, can't beat this. "Sons of Pioneers" is another favourite, but they stole the echoing-synth from Roxy Music's "For Your Pleasure".
Q Quarters
Regular
Regular

Postby UrbanPioneer on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Definitely Sons of Pioneers - I always completely lose myself in that track. The one and only time I got to see Japan live, they opened the show with this song. Brilliant stuff ! :smt035 :smt041
UrbanPioneer
Noob
Noob

Postby mynewcareer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm

The Art of Parties, but I prefer the 12" mix.

This track was a big surprise after the Quiet Life/Gentlemen era.
Why, boy, they're playing our song
mynewcareer
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia