SO lucky again...

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby Nath on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:07 am

You're welcome!!!

I'm gonna scan the first page again... :wink:

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:25 am

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Thank you Nath! :D

I'll try to translate it again but it'll take many days...
If someone can translate it, put them here or correct my translation. please.
I know my translation is not good
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Pocket Dragon on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:57 pm

E.T. wrote:Thank you Nath! :D

I'll try to translate it again but it'll take many days...
If someone can translate it, put them here or correct my translation. please.
I know my translation is not good

Thanks for taking the time to translate this E.T. You're very kind. :D
Pocket Dragon
Regular
Regular

Postby E.T. on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:01 pm

excuse me, I'm suffering from a cold and headache, I'll drop in short tonight.

David Sylvian
Behind A Thick Layer Of Make Up

It seems like I can't have the image of popular musician for teenagers anymore....

While he was lighting the third cigarette...

Interviewed: Dave Riener(?sorry, I can't read)
Illustrated: TE?? L?

Generally, an image of David Sylvian is, taciturn person... Do you know the story he is trying to change his image recently? Does he intent to break a hard shell now, and transform into the splendid butterfly? Well, I interviewed how he changed.

I waited for a while, while controlling heart to throb, David appeared with white shoes and gray suit. His hair is deep brown and wears glasses. He said "Hello" with a slightly dark expression. David who seemed rather healthier than before, has begun to take Polaroids while humming "forbidden colours".
Me, an interviewer forgot one's work, and looked at his gesture with open mouth absentmindly for a while... Because, I haven't expected that David would appear this Portperu Hotel by the time arranged (PM4:00), matter of course.
David is pushing shutter of polaroid with the crackle, and the interviewer staring at him, I started to feel like the time will stop? Suddenly, Yuka Fujii appears as soon as I thought how. Come back to the reality and started interview!

デヴィッド・シルヴィアン

Behind A Thick Layer Of Make Up
ボクはもう、ティーンのための
ポップ・ミュージシャンっていうイメージは
持てないって感じだから・・・・・・。

3本目の煙草に火をつけながら・・・・・・。

Interviewed : Dave Riener(?sorry, I can't read)
Illustrated : TE?? L?

デヴィッド・シルヴィアンっていうと、寡黙な人・・・ってイメージがあるよね。その彼が、最近、イメージ・チェンジを計っているって、話は知ってるカナ?今までの固い殻を破って、華麗な蝶へと変身・・・?さて、どう変わったのかインタビューする事になったんだ。

ドキドキする胸をおさえつつ、待つことしばし、グレーのスーツにホワイト・シューズという格好で、デヴィッドはやって来た。髪は深いブラウンで、メガネをかけている。彼は、チョッピリ暗い表情で 「ハロー」 って言った。以前の印象よりほんの少し、健康そうなデヴィッドは 「フォービトン・カラーズ」 (禁じられた色彩)を口ずさみながら、ポラロイド写真を撮り始めた。
インタビューアーである僕は、自分の仕事も忘れてしばし口をポカーンと開けたまま、その仕草をながめてしまった・・・。だって、本当にデヴィッドがこのポートペルー・ホテルに、決められた時間 (PM4:00) に現れるなんて思っていなかったんだもの当然の事。
パチパチとポラロイドのシャッターをおすデヴィッド、それを見つめるインタビューアー・・・ああ、このまま時が止まってしまうんじゃないだろうナア?なんて思った途端、ユカ・フジイ登場。いきなり現実にもどってインタビュー開始!
Last edited by E.T. on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:03 am

Many many thanks for everything!!!! :D

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 am

wow thanks so much for that. Love hearing about that era in his life.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:16 pm

sorry, it's short again

When I say "You look very young...", David says "Eh? As for myself, I thought I look old for my age" He is embarrassed and laugh. With his words, I decided to completely attack the image of the pop star who created Japan sensation among teenagers.  
David says "I hated being always put in the ring of the pop star". He hates going for tour disgustingly, besides, problems of "fame" "money" "ego" happened to a group (Japan) by such things, made him felt a chill. Therefore, He left the band when Japan was in the top of success in 1983.
When I say an opinion to him, if David compromises a little more at that time, they may have succeeded as a pop star more... David answered as a slightly sorrowful face, "I became not interested in Play in front of spectators at that time. Because, I felt I can't have the image of a pop musician for teen anymore"
He explained the embarrassment for popular with young girls.  As a result, he decided " become obedient for oneself". Since then, David started falling out from the small group of artist comrades, and begun to walk slowly from the a lot remote place from all dimensions .

僕が 「君って若く見えるねえ・・・」 と言うとデヴィッドは 「えっ?自分では年齢の割には老けて見えるって思ってたよ」 とテレ笑いをする。僕は、今の一言でティーンにジャパン・センセーションを巻き起こした、ポップ・スターのイメージを完全に攻める事にした。
 デヴィッドは 「いつも、ポップ・スターの輪の中に入れられるのは、イヤだったんだ」 と言う。ツアーに出るのはヘドが出る程嫌いだし、ましてや、そんな事によってグループ(ジャパン) の中に "名声‚Äù ‚Äù金‚Äù "エゴ‚Äù の問題が持ち上がるのには寒気がした程イヤだったらしい。 だから、1983年にジャパンとして成功の頂点にあった時にバンドから離れたんだって。
 でも、この時に、デヴィッドがもうチョット妥協していたら、ポップ・スターとして、もっともっと成功していたかもしれないのに・・・という意見を彼に言うと、デヴィッドはチョッピリ悲しそうな顔で 「ボクは、 あの時、 観衆の前でPlayする事に興味がなくなっていたんだ。 ボクは、 もうティーンのためのポップ・ミュージシャンっていうイメージは持てないって感じたからね」 って答えてくれた。
 彼は、若い女の子に騒がれるって事に対するとまどいも説明してくれた。 その結果 「自分自身に素直になろう」 って決めたんだってさ。 その時からデヴィッドは、 アーティスト同志のちっちゃな集団の中から、 抜け出して、全ての次元からうんと離れた所からゆっくりと歩き出すようにしたらしい。

this article says about "perspectives", "Words with the Shaman" "Alchemy", and before the release of "Laughter and forgetting"
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:53 am

part 3

Though the former Japan fought for popularity with Duran and The Human League, But now, they seem to compete with Brian Eno and Peter Gabriel, Robert Fripp and Kate Bush...
In 1982, Did David go for the first exhibition? I asked, What was the impression at that time? "I have not be impressed by a picture till then. Of course I was very busy I didn't have the time to see pictures though, When I watched a picture of Frank Auerbach, which there for the exhibition, I thought Oh... pictures are wonderful, nonetheless. I was struck by the picture... It's just like, the music had my heart." He talked feverishly.
He says, he saw something between the painter and the canvas the moment he saw it. By using the picture "Head of J.Y.M. II" as the jacket of the Japan final tour live album "Oil On Canvas", he expressed the inpression of it, and those days he had begun to think about adopt "something" new and found in the music afterwords.
Technically, not form called the jazz, for David Style, he decided to be participated in by musicians who fits to him. It is a thing such as an artistic project, for produce, Steve Nye, and other players, American funk player Wayne Blaithwaite and Ronny Drayton, and from Japan, Ryuichi Sakamoto. From Europe, trumpeter of the experimentalist, Jon Hassel, and the bass player, Holger Czukay. If anything, he made up the project of the global scale.

かつてのジャパンはデュランやヒューマン・リーグなんかと人気争いをしたけれど、今では、ブライアン・イーノやピーター・ガブリエル、ロバート・フィリップや、ケイト・ブッシュと争いそう・・・って感じなんだよね。
 1982年に、デヴィッドは初めての展覧会に行ったんだって?その時の感想は?って聞くと 「これまでは、絵画に感動したことなんてなかったんだ。 もちろん忙しくって絵なんか見てるヒマもなかったんだけど、その展覧会にあったフランク・オーペックの絵を見て、 ああ・・・やっぱり絵は素敵だなって思った。 ボクは、あの絵に打たれたのさ・・・丁度、 音楽がボクの心を持ったようにね」 と熱っぽく語る。
 絵を見た瞬間に、画家とキャンバスの間にある何かが見えたと言う。 その絵 ‚ÄùHead of J.Y.M. II" に対する感動は、ジャパン・ファイナル・ツアーのライブ・アルバム『オイル・オン・キャンバス』 のジャケットに使うことによって表し、その後、音楽の中にも、新しく見つけた "何か" を取り入れようと考え始めたのもこの頃だったんだって。
 技術的には、ジャズという形ではなく、デヴィッド風をということで、自分に合ったミュージシャンにも参加してもらう事にした。 それは、芸術的なプロジェクトのような物で、プロデュースにスティーヴ・ナイ、 その他のプレーヤーとして、アメリカン・ファンク・プレーヤーのウェイン・ブレイスウェイトとロニー・ドレイトン、 そして日本からは、 坂本龍一。ヨーロッパからは、 実験主義者のトランペッター、ジョン・ハッセルとベース・プレイヤーのホルガー・シューカイ等で、どちらかと言えば、世界的規模のプロジェクトを作り上げた。
Last edited by E.T. on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Thank you ET for talking time out to translate this for us. I've found the comments really interesting especially the info about his inspiration by Frank Ouerback and why he chose to put that portrait on the cover of OOC. I often wondered ... such a sudden change of direction in terms of cover artwork, what prompted that? Now I know!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Ooh thank you Astronaut, your comment encouraged me :)

part 4

it's the feeling like worrying in the bed room.

David felt like having been freed from the something fuzzy inside of him for the first time. And the result is "Brilliant Trees".  David says, "This album may be taken for the wall paper music or a collection of music to someone.  Or, someone may have read the calculated accuracy of this album, and they may feel the unstable world without the energy. Possibly someone can dance to this a little bit, even someone dislike it as NME disparaged "Words with the shaman" (alchemy) with "The music like a incense stick burning." I think.
 But you can have so various impressions.  I wanted to have such a thing, so I started solo activity."
And you know, someone may praise it as the most splendid album released in 1984. So when I listen to this album, I'm lost in the pleasure of nostalgic, melancholic moods. Well, it is just like... the feeling like worrying in the adolescent bed room?" he said so and laughed a bit embarrassd.
I could agree with David's opinion a lot, but I decided to do the slightly unkind question.  "Then what intended to find what when you do not pay more attention abroad?" Then David lahghed again,
"If you could feel that avant garde is the top, and the bottom of the vulgar popular songs at the same time, you can find something in it like me. While you were in the midway of the top musician and the musician of the base."
His riddle was very difficult for me.
David was sitting in front of me and smoking Disque Bleu.
He seemed totally another person than before.
Not only the change of the image, even his small gestures seemed to be changed.
"I couldn't do the perfect work which worth to avant garde. Because, most of them were really professional!
But I wasn't, while I was in this (music) world for many years.

ベッド・ルームでの
あの悶々とした感じ

デヴィッドは、このとき初めて、自分の内にあった何かモヤモヤした物から解放された気がしたんだって。 そして、その成果が 『ブリリアント・トゥリーズ』 なのだ。 デヴィッドは 「このアルバムは、 ある人には壁紙音楽とか曲のコレクションだっていう風に受けとめられるかもしれない。 又、ある人は、このアルバムの計算された正確さを読み取ってくれたかもしれないし、精気のない不安定な世界を感じるかもしれない。 もしかしたら、これに乗ってチョッピリ踊れる人もいるかもしれないし、 NMEが 『ワーズ・ウィズ・ザ・シャーマン』(錬金術) を ‚Äù線香が燃えるような、曲‚Äù とけなしたように、嫌いな人だっているかもしれないと思うよ。
 でも、そんな風に色んな感想を持ってくれて良いんだ。 ボクは、そういった事がしたくて、ソロ活動を始めたんだからね。」 と言う。
「それにさ、 もしかしたら 1984年に出されたアルバムの中で一番素晴らしい1枚って賞賛してくれる人もいるだろうしね。そんなわけで、ボクは、このアルバムを聞く時は、 ノスタルジックで、 メランコリーなムードに楽しさを感じながら浸っているんだ。 そうだナア・・・丁度、思春期のベッド・ルームでのあの悶々とした感じにチョット似てるカナ?」 とチョッピリ、テレ笑い。
 僕も、デヴィッドの意見には大いにうなずけたけど、チョッピリ、イジワルな質問もすることにしたんだ。 「じゃあ、君が、もし海外に目を向けなかったら、何を見つけるつもりだったの」 ってね。するとデヴィッドは、又、笑いながら 「もし、君が、アヴァン・ギャルドはトップだっていう事と共に、卑しい流行歌の底辺なんだって感じることが出来れば、ボクの様に何かを見つけられるハズなんだよ。トップ・ミュージシャンと底辺のミュージシャンとの中間にいる頃にネ」 と僕には、ムズカシイ、なぞかけをしてくる。
 ディスク・ブリュ (煙草) を吸いながら僕の前に座っているデヴィッドは、以前とはまったくの別人に見える。単にイメージの変化というよりは、小さな仕草まで変わってしまったようだ。 「ボクは、アヴァン・ギャルドに値するような、完璧な仕事は出来なかったよ。だって彼らのうちのほとんどが、本当にプロなんだ!なのに、ボクは何年もこの世界にいながら、全然プロじゃなかったしね」
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:37 pm

part 5

Again, I am seized with a delusion as an interviewer.  Is he really David Sylvian before my eyes?! Because what he talks I can't imagine from full of confidence David before... However, David says like further attacks.
"Because I have no technique as the musician. Therefore I depend on an emotional part. But the popular song and being avant garde, don't have any of an emotional aspect. You know, which I want to say most."

religions are very important thing for me

In 1984, David held an exhibition.  It was collage Polaroid exhibition of the way that resembled "camera works" of Hockney.  Drew a pastel in the spots of the photograph, and, as for the book of the work, the release was done with a title called "perspectives".  When he held the exhibition in Tokyo in autumn, 1984, A TV station suggested to David. "How about make your documentary?"
 David said, "in fact, I did not get a hint in the idea.  But I didn't have much money at that time actually..."  He said that the reason was he spent 100,000 pounds on "Brilliant Trees". The documentary was finished with a little exaggerated to some extent, including music and the imagination.
 Anyway, it was made in a hurry, David says "I like the scene of Steel Cathedrals". The scene which image buildings of Tokyo, he and Ryuichi finished impromptu in 48 hours, but, as for David, he felt he should release an album than he release it as a video at that time. It is "Words with the shaman"(alchemy) he made at the time.
 He say, "we can divide this work into 3, though it is one work of the big flow basically". "That was stuffed various words to keep things. In fact, I wanted to put a vocal to the sound track of Steel Cathedrals. But when I intended to put vocals, I participated in albums of Holger Czukay and Mick, and worked with Robert Fripp, Bill Nelson and Steve Jansen, so it was impossible" 

またもや、僕はインタビューアーとしての妄想にかられてしまう。 本当に、この目の前にいろのは、デヴィッド・シルヴィアンなのか!!って事にね。 だって以前の自信満々のデヴィッドからは想像も出来ないようなことばっかり言うんだもの・・・。 なのにデヴィッドは追い打ちをかけるごとくに言う。
「だってボクは、ミュージシャンとしてのテクニックは皆無に等しいでしょ。だから情緒的な部分にたよって来てるんだ。 でも流行歌もアヴァン・ギャルドである事も、情緒的な面ってないじゃない。 ね、 それがボクの一番言いたい事なんだ」 ってな具合にね。

ボクにとって宗教は
とても大切なものなんだ

1984年に、デヴィッドは展覧会を開いた。 ホックニーの ‚Äùカメラワークス‚Äù に似たやり方のコラージュ・ポラロイド展だった。 写真のところどころにパステルをかけたこの作品の本は 『パースペクティヴス』 というタイトルで発売もされた。 84年の秋には、東京でその展覧会を開いた時にデヴィッドは、TV局に 「自分のドキュメンタリーを作らないか?」 とさそわれた。
 デヴィッドは 「本当は、 そのアイディアにはピンとこなかったんだ。 でも、 その時のボクには本当にお金がなかったから・・・」 と言う。 「ブリリアント・トゥリーズ」に10万ポンドも費やしたからだと彼は言うが、そのドキュメンタリーは、音楽と想像を含んだ、多少誇張した物に仕上がった。
 とにかく急いで作ったものだけれどデヴィッドは 「スティール・キャセドラルズの場面が好きだ」 と言う。 東京のビルディングをイメージするというその場面は、 彼と龍一が即興で48時間で仕上げたそうだが、デヴィッドは、この時、ビデオとして、それをリリースするよりも、アルバムをリリースするべきなんだと感じていたという。 その時に作ったのが 『ワーズ・ウィズ・ザ・シャーマン』(錬金術) なのである。
 「この作品は、基本的には、1つの大きな流れの作品だけど、3つに分ける事が出来るんだ」 と言う。「あれは、物事を保つために色々な言葉をつめたんだ。 本当は、 スティール・キャセドラルズのサウンド・トラックにボーカルを入れたかったんだ。 だけど、ボーカルを入れたいって思った時には、 ボクは、ホルガー・シューカイとミックのアルバムにも参加していたし、ロバート・フィリップ、ビル・ネルソン、スティーヴ・ジャンセンとも仕事をしていたんでムリだったんだ」 
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:25 pm

This was orignially in the UK mag 'The face. LL Cool J cover.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby E.T. on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:36 pm

I want to read original!! :-D
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:41 pm

oh wait... i have this magazine... I will try to scan the article in on thursday when i have the day off. :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia