Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Re: Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:19 am

It is great to hear that this Benefit Concert will happen. There probably will be no mention of it here in New Zealand, but that isn't surprising.

Now, I know I shouldn't get angry but there is one thing that is really pissing me off. This thread and another has a running theme, of either bash David for not being more public (when we all know damn well that that isn't how he has ever done things before) or for saying he SHOULD go on stage and have a reunion of sorts.

While this may be the last time we see Japan together, we as fans can not expect or demand David to perform or even appear. If he does appear, I hope it is because he wanted to be a part of it for Mick, not because he felt obliged to be there.

As another poster has already said... this concert is about Mick. Not anyone else who was in the band.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:39 am

ellyn sylvian wrote:
Now, I know I shouldn't get angry but there is one thing that is really pissing me off. This thread and another has a running theme, of either bash David for not being more public (when we all know gosh golly jee whiz well that that isn't how he has ever done things before) or for saying he SHOULD go on stage and have a reunion of sorts.

While this may be the last time we see Japan together, we as fans can not expect or demand David to perform or even appear. If he does appear, I hope it is because he wanted to be a part of it for Mick, not because he felt obliged to be there.

As another poster has already said... this concert is about Mick. Not anyone else who was in the band.

Well said... :smt006
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 am

Wow if this concert was in a good date for me I'd love to go, support Mick and see it all! September would be fab, but dunno... :shock:

But leaving aside that David performs or not... if Mick is so sick, you think he's going to be there for playing? I doubt it really...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:13 am

sisterlondon wrote:Wow if this concert was in a good date for me I'd love to go, support Mick and see it all! September would be fab, but dunno... :shock:

But leaving aside that David performs or not... if Mick is so sick, you think he's going to be there for playing? I doubt it really...

Mick's illness has been reported as Stage 4 Cancer, as much as I would like to see him on stage (even if just to take a final bow), he would have to be pretty much f^$ed health wise.

I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't appear at the concert, but rather has someone read out a message from him.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 am

Yeah that's what I mean. People might expect a Japan reunion. I just can't see that happening, but mainly because of Mick's state (specially if this isn't happening very soon and he's having chemo). :(
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Christ , it seems most here are concerned about a gig with or without sylvian ,
as opposed to the well being of Mick Karn.

Sad Really.
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pradakid900 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Since when has anyone decided what most people want around here? Was there a poll taken I was unaware of or are some assuming and speaking on the behalf of others? We are talking about a beneift concert here for Mick, where Steve and Rich (it has been said) will be there, so, naturally, the subject of some guy named David might just come up by extension. Is that really so hard to fathom? As I said, was just kicking that thought around, as it somehow managed to pop into my empty head - not trying to diminish anything else. If you're not interested...pay it no attention and move on. Even in this state of sobering somberness there is room for a momentary reprive.

I thought we were here to voice related thoughts not hamper them...perhaps I'm wrong.
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 am

TBH if Rich and Steve are there I will try to go. If Sylvian is there or not is irrelevant for me.

Heck, if the date is good I think I'd try to go anyway! I wonder which month this could be. Getting leave from work is proving very difficult lately...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:20 am

Heck, If Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Steven Seagal, Englebert Humperdink, and Eminem were doing the benifit concert I'd go! ;)

-K- via iPhone
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:45 am

Just please don't let Seagal sing ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby SylvianDarling on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:26 pm

[quote="ellyn sylvian"]It is great to hear that this Benefit Concert will happen. There probably will be no mention of it here in New Zealand, but that isn't surprising. [quote]

So true :wink: Its a shame though we always miss the good ones... :cry:
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby billster on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:59 am

japan should reform for this gig with John taylor on bass - genius!
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chet on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 am

Hope David shows up and play A Certain Slant
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Heck, If Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Steven Seagal, Englebert Humperdink, and Eminem were doing the benifit concert I'd go! ;)

-K- via iPhone

Well said K! I'd go even if The Muppets were doing the gig because its for Mick. It isn't about seeing Mick on stage - Lord knows he's too ill right now to even contemplate such a thing and who knows what his health is going to be like by the time the gig comes around? As for David making an appearance? If he does - great - if he doesn't - tough - the show will go on with or without him because its for Mick not David. It is not a Japan reunion despite what you may read over the coming weeks from the less imaginative journalists in the media who cant think of a better tag line than "Japan Reunion stalled by Karn Cancer" or some such useless rubbish. It's all about MIck and raising funds for his family - who must be in h*ll right now. OK? Got that? :evil:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cartesian on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 am

Astronaut wrote:Well said K! I'd go even if The Muppets were doing the gig because its for Mick. It isn't about seeing Mick on stage - Lord knows he's too ill right now to even contemplate such a thing and who knows what his health is going to be like by the time the gig comes around? As for David making an appearance? If he does - great - if he doesn't - tough - the show will go on with or without him because its for Mick not David. It is not a Japan reunion despite what you may read over the coming weeks from the less imaginative journalists in the media who cant think of a better tag line than "Japan Reunion stalled by Karn Cancer" or some such useless rubbish. It's all about MIck and raising funds for his family - who must be in h*ll right now. OK? Got that? :evil:

Might it not be the case that some of those you appear angry with would like to see DS or something marketable as a Japan "reunion" precisely because it will bring in more money for Mick and his family? Yes, we'll all go no matter what, but surely the point must be to secure as much revenue as possible? Unfortunately that means having something to sell the gig to well beyond the core fanbase.

Hopefully that something will be a bigger Band/artist, and talk of DS/Japan will become irrelevant. Until such time, please respect that people who just want to see the most tickets sold & money raised are well intentioned.
Cartesian
Noob
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Mick Karn