Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:08 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20100611_midge.shtml

I'll post news about this as soon as I get it. This news article wasn't supposed to run until next week :D

The venue is sorted but I haven't got the details yet, or the date, or confirmed players. I'll say for sure it won't be *very* soon due to other commitments people have.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

Postby missouriman on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 am

Brilliant news Paul. Absolutely. Let's all hope there is a FULL turn out of support from musicians and fans alike. :smt049
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cartesian on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 pm

OMG!! That's seriously the first time I've smiled at any Japan-related news since the announcement. Come on, Midge!!! :D will drag everyone I know to this. Japan to reform, though?? As much as I'd love that to be true, I fear a certain person's continued (almost now awkward) silence answers that one...
Cartesian
Noob
Noob

Postby Simonp on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Cartesian wrote: I fear a certain person's continued (almost now awkward) silence answers that one...

In what way is it awkward? It's only awkward because people keep bleating on about it. Why do people have such a big issue with Sylvian not making any public announcement over this? I just don't get it
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Well, the silence (awkward or not) has ended.
From David's official site: "Please consider making a donation to the MKA here."
Nice to hear about the concert. Well done Midge.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

It looks to me as if this Midge Ure is attempting to put Sylvian in a position which he undoubtedly doesn't wish to be placed. By name checking Jansen and Barbieri, while implying that they would be up for some sort of reunion, he is essentially calling Sylvian out to join in a musical situation that most likely holds no interest for him - no matter the cause. I suppose Mr. Ure is well-intentioned but it seems somewhat unprofessional to do it in such a manner.
:-) At least Sylvian has the Rain Tree Crow moniker to fall back on if he feels too heavily pressured. He could possibly dig out Blackwater or Every Colour You Are if coerced.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:18 pm

I very much doubt Sylvian will be involved in the concert. The words "extremely unlikely" have been used - people should not get their hopes up. The journalist has stretched what Midge has said rather. Anyway, the night should be about Karn not Sylvian.

Great that he's posted the link and I doubt it's begrudgingly or that he feels badgered by the public. He spent some time on the song, that's a pretty nice gesture.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:22 pm

baht habit wrote: By name checking Jansen and Barbieri, while implying that they would be up for some sort of reunion

He may have name checked them, but I don't think he was the one implying that there. I think the journalist may have implied it tho. ;)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cartesian on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Simonp wrote:
Cartesian wrote: I fear a certain person's continued (almost now awkward) silence answers that one...

In what way is it awkward? It's only awkward because people keep bleating on about it. Why do people have such a big issue with Sylvian not making any public announcement over this? I just don't get it

It was being made 'almost' awkward by the growing volume of other sites carrying the appeal - now even the BBC - and the 2 other former bandmates' public support. Midge Ure's wording in the article (if it was his) is a prime example. I'm glad David has added his vital voice to the appeal, and I'm sure feeling pressured is the very last reason he'd have to do so.
Cartesian
Noob
Noob

Postby pradakid900 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Wow - what a tragedy this situation is. Mick is one of the four (and sometimes five) reasons we are all here in common union, and this has surly scarred the bubble, if not burst it. My sincere thoughts are with Mick and family.

But this concert...I was so hoping this would happen for Mick! Just to step about it...I wonder what this benefit will bring beside the obvious goals? This may end up changing the legacy of the band in some way forever. You think people like Bowie, Duran and U2 will make the gig? Cool for the exposure we all love them to have, but what a horrible cause for Japan to be thrust into the spotlight so abruptly.

Like it or not, fairly or unfairly, if this concert does draw Steve and Rich with no word from David there will surly be pressure upon him from both the media and his fan base - whether true or imagined. True, it may be uncomfortable for him to join (given the Japan reformation implied simply by each's presence), but I think it would be as uncomfortable, if not more, not to join in some way, though I'm sure David has already went out of his way in some measure to Mick on a personal level. Since the public has been invited into this personal experience via the formation of the concert, and given the gravity of the grave situation I could see Mr.X consenting to a performance against his own insecurities. Time will tell.
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby opiate on Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Tricky situation. I'm guessing David was already approached and has not responded yet, refused or perhaps not even asked (possibly at Micks request). He must be getting hounded by media right now. :(

Despite them separating and going their own way, I cannot believe for a second that Dave or Mick hate each other. I find the situation not dissimilar to family feuds, where you still love the person, but glad not to be around them all the time. I'm certain of the fact that he is supporting Mick all he can. The pressure to have them reform for this must be horrible with it not being in the best of circumstances. I'm struggling to see how any of them would be happy to rehearse and perform any old Japan numbers as they do have enormous professional integrity as well as bridges to rebuild relationship-wise. However, I can see other famous faces making an appearance and doing tribute covers, who can tell?

I don't think David has given any awkward silence. It's well known that he is incredibly private and it's not his style to make his personal feelings known to sate public demand on a website. He best communicates deeply personal issues within his work and I think he is best left to that.
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Astronaut on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:27 pm

karnsculpture wrote:I very much doubt Sylvian will be involved in the concert. The words "extremely unlikely" have been used - people should not get their hopes up. The journalist has stretched what Midge has said rather. Anyway, the night should be about Karn not Sylvian.

Great that he's posted the link and I doubt it's begrudgingly or that he feels badgered by the public. He spent some time on the song, that's a pretty nice gesture.

That says it all for me: The night should be about MICK. Not any ancient feuds which we really know nothing of or only the very tip of the iceberg. Stop speculating and start supporting folks! :smt006
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pradakid900 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Can we not speculate AND support at the same time? I think I do a fine job of it.
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby peterw on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:48 pm

So nice to see Midge Ure come through for Mick Karn.

Japan and Ultravox were two of my favourite bands of the late 70's and 80's, and still are to this very day. I saw Ultravox in the fall of 1982 in Toronto when they were on the Quartet tour. Great show. Can still recall the opening to the show to this day. They started with "The Thin Wall" and it was standing room only at that point.
peterw
Noob
Noob

Postby Astronaut on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 pm

pradakid900 wrote:Can we not speculate AND support at the same time? I think I do a fine job of it.

Pradakid you can do whatever you like in private (bit like David really ...) but too much speculation on here is divisive and right now, most of us haven't the stomach for a fight. That's all ... :(
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Mick Karn