Mick Karn and cancer

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Re: Mick Karn and cancer

Postby Rain on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:54 pm

I hope Mick will be able to get through this, I wish him and his family all the best... I don't know what else to say, I agree with what everyone else has said though :)
Rain
Regular
Regular

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm

1.Outside wrote:(Sorry for those on japan-pioneers for the cross-posting) ... ...
I will personally find it slightly distasteful if this benefit gig becomes all about a 'Japan reunion' or at least Sylvian performing with Barbieri and Jansen. That isn't what it's meant to be about - it's meant to be about Mick. There are those who are excited at the prospect, no doubt, but for me that smacks a little of opportunism in terrible circumstances.

Let's support Mick in any way that we can, not look around for people to lash out at.

Agreed. I've said as much on the Benefit Gig thread. :-)
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:16 am

natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:29 am

Update from Mick:

Message from Mick : Footnote

Your comments and well wishes have left me speechless, in the same way that our news had affected you. The support and love you give me is felt by all of us here, every day.

At the time of first posting my news I was striving to obtain a medical card that would pay for treatment here in Cyprus and I am pleased to say that in recent days, since becoming officially diagnosed through a series of specific tests, the state will now take care of my basic medical costs, including referrals to Hospitals within the EU in the event that any procedure cannot be carried out here in Cyprus. This is great news and comes as a genuine relief but I wanted to make clear that the donations that have been received will remain in a fund which will be used to augment the state care and allow me to look into alternatives that will help my fight with cancer, including options such as advanced treatments in the USA and other non-state-funded medical alternatives. It also affords me some peace of mind as, during this difficult time, I am not able to provide for my family's needs in a way that I would otherwise wish, and their security is my primary concern now. Obviously, their lives are dramatically impacted upon by my condition and your kind support helps me to feel that they will be able to manage a little better if I am not able to be with them.

I hope this makes sense to all of you who have made a donation because words cannot truly express the full scope of my gratitude and feeling of good fortune to have so many friends, both near and far, familiar and undiscovered until now, who are willing to help us out in this incredible way.

Posted: 14th June 2010
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby SylvianDarling on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 pm

I dyed my hair multicoloured last night to donate money for MIck :mrgreen: And im too embarassed to show a photo :oops: :lol:
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:07 am

The Red edition of PT's DVD is now back in actuion for Mick (the winner said he made a mistake with the last bif, pffff!)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/burningshedlimited2010/m.html
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Asked my buddy Ed to post something for the appeal on his blog. Take a look around, say hello, he's got a very keen sense of musical oddity and wonderfulness...

http://knowyourconjurer.blogspot.com/20 ... -2001.html
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BobbyVey on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:57 am

Oh God. I'm pretty much stunned with the fact I actually haven't heard anything about this, till now. I admit though, haven't been around on this forum for quite long, but I'm at Facebook on daily basis. Must have slipped my eye... :cry: :cry: :cry:
What can I say now? God's not fair? He wants everything the best for Himself? I don't know.
There're lot of new and advanced cures for cancer but what worries me the most is it's late stage. He's only a bit older than I am, he's so young!
Please let him be with us, just a few decades more, later u can have him for an eternity. :cry:
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby SylvianDarling on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:59 am

Any recent updates on Mick?
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby angel-a on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:19 am

This is not an official comment from Mick's website,
but Epiphanyworks (Steve's management in Japan) twitted (in Japanese):

'We've heard Mick is continuing his treatment in London.
Steve's photos will be exhibited in September in Italy as a part of Mick Karn Appeal.
Currently we are considering if we could plan something for MKA in Japan."

Ephiphayworks is organising the screening of David's 'Amplified Gesture' in Japan.
Probably in October, with Japanese subtitles and with introduction prepared by David.
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 am

angel-a wrote:Ephiphayworks is organising the screening of David's 'Amplified Gesture' in Japan.
Probably in October, with Japanese subtitles and with introduction prepared by David.

That's brilliant!

angel-a wrote:We've heard Mick is continuing his treatment in London.

I can only see this positively. Come on, Mick!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby angel-a on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:19 am

David Torn posted the following message at his site yesterday.

while mick's health is not stable nor "increasing",
his spirits are still positive, still strong.....

the support shown by his fans & friends has been,
in so many humanely, warmly & other unquantifiable ways, quite meaningful.

i'll be going to see him, late next week.

thanks, all.

best,
dt / spltrcl
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 am

Update from today

We realise that you are all concerned for Mick's health and would like more updates but I am sure you appreciate that this is still a very private matter and that cancer treatment/results don't happen overnight.

We can tell you that thanks to the appeal fund, Mick and his family were able to move to London where he is currently being treated. This really wouldn't have possible without the support of Mick's friends and all of you who have raised money for the fund - so a huge thank you, it's so appreciated.

When we feel it's appropriate we will post updates and in the meantime thank you for your continued love, support and understanding. 
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:20 am

thanks for the update...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 am

There will be soon a rerelease of the Kingdom of Dust EP that JBK made with Jakko. It will have a new track by Jakko and Richard and the money will go to Mick too :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Mick Karn