Mick Karn's Autobiography

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Re: Mick Karn's Autobiography

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 am

Ok...

You know, I don't want JapanSylvian to be known as 'sleazy'... It's already known as fangirly, and that's far enough. Can we not have a topic without this!? Some of the band members DO read this forum!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Moon Park on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 am

I ordered my copy last week and sat down and read it all from cover to cover immediately without stopping (despite the fact that, ahem, it was supposed to be my Christmas present, but the less said about that to my husband, the better ;-) )

I personally thought it was beautifully written, very frank and candid, and that Mick came across as an extremely likeable character: honest, forthright, but not without his shortcomings which he seemed more than happy to elaborate on at length ("Angela fever", indeed... XD), which surprised me, as most autobiographies tend to accentuate the positive and gloss over the negative, if referencing it at all.

I was also not surprised, having read some of the outrageously shocking and scathing anecdotes particularly concerning David, at the depth of his continuing rancour. Since DS has not gone out of his way to improve certain pecuniary matters over financial rewards which really should be due (in my own opinion) to his bandmates, I can certainly understand Mick's aggravation. It seems to me very understandable why he may have felt that himself, Barbieri, Dean and even DS's own brother were betrayed and deceived at every turn.

Somehow I doubt that DS will bother to post or write any denials: it seems that the past, to him, remains firmly in the past and that he's moved on from his old friends, although it's not clear from the book whether any of them still have contact with him (except his brother of course).

Overall, I thought it was a fantastically written book - I think Mick may have missed a secondary calling as an author! - and worth every penny of twenty quid :D
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Postby neonico on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Ok...

You know, I don't want JapanSylvian to be known as 'sleazy'... It's already known as fangirly, and that's far enough. Can we not have a topic without this!? Some of the band members DO read this forum!

-K-

its only for fun sorry ... :-D :-D :-D

love leelee
Last edited by neonico on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neonico

Postby missouriman on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:09 pm

[quote="Silver Moon"]Ok...

I agree! Neonico needs something to calm her jets down cos she gets me started then all heck breaks loose. I don't have a problem with a little less sleaze on here. But I do need it in my life... Just saying. :smt064
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm

neonico wrote:dont make yourself so important hes not daft and we are all only joking...and not serious..

Errr, it's Kera's forum, of course it's important for her and it feels important to her the image of this forum around.

A bit of fun is fine... from time to time. If Kera decides it's better to cut it, just do it. It's her forum, she's the mod. I'd be :oops: if Kera had said that to me and in NO WAY I would have replied to her in the way you did.

And back to topic, unless other people that keep asking about the book without buying it, I did and received it today. Only for the pics it's worth! But will read it soon, seems very interesting (at least the bits I read here and there) and totally worth the cash. Thanks Mr Karn! :D
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:18 pm

neonico wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:Ok...

-K-

yes david reades this forum now and again also the japanpioneers forum and finds it cool and funny

dont make yourself so important hes not daft and we are all only joking...and not serious..

REALLY? :o WOW! Ker-bear, I think it's time to let Matt have a bit of control. Neo - this is KERA's forum! Please have some respect for her wishes for the sake and enjoyment of the rest of the community here.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:40 pm

Uh...

I don't post a whole lot anymore, but it seems that in almost every topic I come across nowadays, there's always some silly bickering going on, or jokes are being taken way too far, or something else that's just completely ridiculous. Earlier this year, I finally got around to having time to visit again. Someone went off on me on a reply I had posted, for no reason whatsoever. I didn't go off and cry about it, but seriously, this is an internet forum. And once upon a time, it was peaceful and fun and silly (but not too silly). It was great because I found other Japan forums to be pretentious (and basically any other internet forum I've come across, regardless of subject). Here, you could more or less post what you wanted and didn't have to worry about someone jumping down your throat because your opinion is "wrong" or "stupid" or whatever else. And Kera doesn't have any weird or pointless forum rules (example- many years ago, I was kicked off a forum because one of my sentences wasn't long enough... ohhhhkay). Anyway, I digress. And sorry for running my mouth, Kera, but I really miss the old days. I just had to say something. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Don't make me sing. I'm terrible.

Anywho, I still haven't got my hands on the book! I'm working two jobs now, so I will finally have some legitimate spending money. The irony is that I don't have any off days, so I never have time to read. Heh. I'm mainly interested in the musical aspect- background, technique, etc. But no doubt, I'd love to learn the inner workings of his professional relationships.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:08 am

Tbh lastgoldstar, I miss the old days too - dunno if your and mine correlate - but I DO know a few people who no longer participate in this forum because of the direction things take sometimes.

Sisterlondon and proggrl both make the same point, excellently - it's like going to a nightclub really - if they don't want people with high heels then you don't turn up in high heels, simple as. Silly example I know, but it IS Kera's forum.

Anyway, I've got the book and read it dead fast, which is a good sign - means I liked it!!!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm

I thought Mick came across terribly. Whingeing, Victimized, bitter.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Moon Park wrote:although it's not clear from the book whether any of them still have contact with him (except his brother of course).

Well, Richard was at David's last concert in London, so guess they are in good terms...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:27 am

Since my little brother is a fan of Mick I have to get my hands on this book. And of course I have to read it myself as well!

I think you have to be a strong person to write down what happened in your life since it's not always easy.
Respect for that! Anyway, I will get this book as soon as I can.

Thank you Mr. Karn
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby pinenut on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:52 pm

I enjoyed Micks book. He strikes me as the only member of the band who is actually honest about things.All the others seem to want to forget it all and not discuss.We all know they have moved on and are doing different things these days but it's always nice to hear about the truth behind the times when "that band" were big.
Maybe it's just a nostalgia aspect but credit to Mick for discussing it.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby ob8 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

The book moved me to tears, i have met the big guy twice and he is a great bloke. Very down to earth and obliging. He is very honest and candid about a lot of matters that others would have stayed away from mentioning. I am hoping we have another one very soon. We all have different views on chapters of our life and i do side with Mick over the song writing royalties. I did not realize that David had (in my mind) shafted the lot of them. Their contributions on a lot of the Japan tracks amount to way more than they have been credited with. But hey such is life and we all have issues to deal with. Just waiting on Steve and Richards books now !!!!!!!
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby erika_fiore on Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Oh, help me guys! How can a girl in Brazil who has no access to books besides from internet can get a hand on a copy????

I MUST read it!
erika_fiore
Noob
Noob

Postby Bern on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:48 am

Got to disagree with you ob8 Sylvian wrote the material and therefore quite rightly received the lions share of the royalties, I agree the Japan musicians were very much responsible for the bands "sound" and certainly live Mick could well claim to be "the front man" in terms of performance but it's important to remember both Napier Bell and Hansa originally were only interested in Sylvian not the band it was only Sylvian's decision not to sign as a solo artist but with the band in 1977 that meant any of the other band members had any career at all
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Mick Karn