Mick Karn's Autobiography

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Re: Mick Karn's Autobiography

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:24 pm

erika_fiore wrote:Oh, help me guys! How can a girl in Brazil who has no access to books besides from internet can get a hand on a copy????

Go here: http://www.mickkarn.net/ and click on CLICK HERE TO BUY YOUR BOOK. As far as I can see Lulu.com serves South America too.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:14 pm

billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:48 pm

:smt006 Hi Bilster - many thanks for posting this review. Very interesting. Although I disagree with Anthony Reynolds on a few points, not least the statement he makes that the book is very depressing. I actually found it very enlightening (but maybe that's just my weird personality ...) Nor do I agree with the following statement: "... the book is overshadowed by the grudge against Sylvian and this in turn brings the danger of overshadowing Karns' own actual music, whereas Sylvian's work remains utterly apart, in my mind, from his personality ..." I cannot see how it's possible to remove an artists personality from their work. One cannot exist without the other. However, I don't agree with a certain school of thought which suggests that you cannot understand a work of art (music or otherwise) unless you have some knowledge of the artists personal life. I think to know too much about an artists or musicians life can sometimes detract from the feelings you have/had towards the work in question. In relation to MK's autobiog, do I really need to know the circumstances surrounding the composition of 'My Mrs T' for example? No, I don't think I do, and sadly I find my enjoyment of that piece compromised now by the information I've read ...

I do agree that it would have been fascinating to read more about the 1986-7 Karn-Sylvian collaboration on 'Dreams of Reason' - one of my all time favourite albums. I feel something more could have come out of this if either artist had had the courage to swallow their pride (and/or hurt feelings) but, it wasn't to be ... hey ho *sigh* ...

What do the rest of you think about Reynolds closing statements that Mick "... merely lucked out way back then ... accompanied by a true 'one-off' for a best friend ..."???
Last edited by Astronaut on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I just finished Mick's book - loved it!

Regarding songwriting credits I'm reminded of a quote from Robert Fripp:

"How can you tell if a group of musicians is really a band? When they share the money equally."

I guess Mick, Steve, Rich and Rob were under the false impression that Japan was a band. David and the record label knew otherwise...
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I put this book on my Christmas List. I've since got two emails; one saying I had bought the book and the other saying my book had been shipped. My mom had to have bought the book using my Lulu account!
I can't wait to read it on the 25th :D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:49 am

Tim91 wrote:I put this book on my Christmas List. I've since got two emails; one saying I had bought the book and the other saying my book had been shipped. My mom had to have bought the book using my Lulu account!

The tell-tale mail spoils the surprise! :D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm

inkinthewell wrote:
Tim91 wrote:I put this book on my Christmas List. I've since got two emails; one saying I had bought the book and the other saying my book had been shipped. My mom had to have bought the book using my Lulu account!

The tell-tale mail spoils the surprise! :D

oh well I don't care
I'm just so excited to know that I'm getting the book!!!!
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:32 am

Tim91 wrote:I put this book on my Christmas List. ... My mom had to have bought the book using my Lulu account!

Awwww!!! What a great Mom!!!! :smt111
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Astronaut wrote:
Awwww!!! What a great Mom!!!! :smt111

yeah she is :-D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:43 pm

okay so as I thought I got the book yesterday and am currently on page 294.
What a fantastic and insightful read.
I can't wait finish it! ( it's right here in my lap :-D )

...huh? I wonder if David Sylvian would ever read it?
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:21 pm

when writing about Rain Tree Crow, Mick talks about how David took control of the entire project and ended up destroying the fresh and exciting sound the band had originally created and ended up making it sound too polished like DS's own albums (all according to Mick of coarse).
I was wondering what Mick would think about DS’s newest improvised albums?
and ultimetly I wonder if in this method (without David being able to become "dictator" in any way it seems) they could work together? I don’t know, it was just a thought. I doubt David is going in a musical direction where he'd be needing a bass guitar.
Last edited by Tim91 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:22 am

I have got to say I was really disappointed with the book, after all this was the first biography by a member of the band and although the birth of the band, it's demise, Rob Dean's departure and Yuka etc are all covered by Mick there are many things he could have covered that he didn't, what was Sylvian's writing process?, what inspired him to write?, how did their sudden success impact on the band members, I am hoping one of the other band members takes up the reins and makes an attempt at more of a biography of the lifespan of the band
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Bern wrote:I have got to say I was really disappointed with the book, after all this was the first biography by a member of the band and although the birth of the band, it's demise, Rob Dean's departure and Yuka etc are all covered by Mick there are many things he could have covered that he didn't, what was Sylvian's writing process?, what inspired him to write?, how did their sudden success impact on the band members, I am hoping one of the other band members takes up the reins and makes an attempt at more of a biography of the lifespan of the band

Well it was Mick's autobiography NOT an historiography of Japan the band. As for Sylvians writing process that is something only David can relate, information from other members of the band regarding that would be mere speculation. What inspires Sylvian to write? Again I would have to say that is something Sylvian himself would have to answer. Mick could put forward his opinion on what inspired Sylvian but it would be just that - an opinion.

"Sudden success"? Are you sure about that? :lol:

Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:21 pm

But isn't a personal opinion what everyone on here expresses?

personally I would be interested in Mick's opinion as a member of the band
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Bern wrote:But isn't a personal opinion what everyone on here expresses?

personally I would be interested in Mick's opinion as a member of the band

Yes it is and how much do we really know? I guess it depends on whether you want to hear other peoples opinions on what happened or you want facts. If it's a factual account your after - you may be disappointed since we all have different versions of the 'truth' depending on your point of view.

I'm just really happy Mick got the book published at all. :smt007
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Mick Karn