New Album Richard Barbieri Planets + Persona

News, gigs, releases and discussion about Richard

New Album Richard Barbieri Planets + Persona

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx5bKmBCVYg

From Kscope:
The Japan and Porcupine Tree keyboardist Richard Barbieri releases his most sonically expansive work to date, with a brand new album entitled Planets + Persona. It is the third Barbieri solo album, but the first to feature such a wide pallet of instrumentation. Vintage analogue synthesisers combine with acoustic performances and jazz elements. Twisted voices are always present, though not in a language we can recognise. Barbieri skilfully utilises the talents of a pan-European core of musicians to produce an album that marries synthesised sounds with organic instrumentation to conjure up vivid, colourful and allusive soundscapes. It's a skilful commingling of texture and tone, mood and musicality.

Recorded in London, Italy and Sweden, this is Barbieri's most ambitious solo work to date with a central theme of duality that runs through the album. The title alone - ‘Planets and Persona' alludes to this, and the dialectic theme is a constant throughout the contrasting and shape-shifting sounds of the album. Take, for example, Night of the Hunter - inspired by Charles Laughton's only directorial movie , the piece moves through subtle shifts of atmosphere and emphasis, through melodic, dream-like sequences through to harsher tones; it's a piece that builds to a profound cumulative effect. Elsewhere, Solar Storm shifts gears artfully, with Percy Jones' sometimes percussive bass work contrasting to the smoother synthesiser textures incisively. Barbieri's purely solo Interstellar Medium shows that his ability to develop and realise a theme under his own auspices that underscores his innate creativity. It's but one aspect of a thoroughly engrossing and immersive album.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New Album Richard Barbieri Planets + Persona

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:19 am

:-D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm

New Discogs entry for the album including full credits.
https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Barbieri-Planets-Persona/release/9659104

This album is the real deal - best solo album by any member in years. Check out the preview video if you haven't.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:02 am

karnsculpture wrote:New Discogs entry for the album including full credits.
https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Barbieri-Planets-Persona/release/9659104

This album is the real deal - best solo album by any member in years. Check out the preview video if you haven't.

The nice thing about the full credits on discogs is that you can see where those players all come from.
Of course I should have noticed before, but Kjell Severinsson is the drummer of one of my favorite bands, Isildurs Bane.
Richard has played on their IB-Expo's a couple of times and Mick Karn was there often too.
And while I'm listening to Alexandrine by Grice I notice he's one of the singers.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:33 pm

It sounds really great and beautifully produced/recorded based on the preview. Looking forward to it.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby skysaw on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:40 pm

This album is the real deal - best solo album by any member in years.

Excellent! Given how much I enjoyed Steve Jansen's Tender Extinction, I'm anticipating even more this new album from Richard. Great to see past collaborators Bowness and Hogarth making their returns too.
skysaw
Noob
Noob

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 am

skysaw wrote:
This album is the real deal - best solo album by any member in years.

Excellent! Given how much I enjoyed Steve Jansen's Tender Extinction, I'm anticipating even more this new album from Richard. Great to see past collaborators Bowness and Hogarth making their returns too.

They provide voices but there aren't any lyrics as such, and all vocals/voices on the album are heavily manipulated. One track was originally intended for a second Barbieri/Hogarth album and is built around a pretty unrecognisable Hogarth vocal sample.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Richard Barbieri