Richard Barbieri

News, gigs, releases and discussion about Richard

Postby sonic_chronicler on Wed May 24, 2006 6:27 am

I've got the Bays Peel session that Richard played on somewhere. I'll dig it out if anyone is interested.

The Bays are excellent live, improvised dance stuff mainly. (That probably undersells it a bit)

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 2:48 pm

Proggrl,

Well, I was in Tower Records today and had Porcupine Tree's Signify in my hands... then for some reason I put it back and bought Deadwing. I think it must have been the included video that caught my eye.

Anyway, I played it in the car on the way home and it blew me away! It was much heavier than I was expecting, more in the realm of Tool from a guitar standpoint but the vocals were more melodic than most modern heavy music. Overall the record just sounds fantastic, great guitar sounds and unbelievably good production. I think that I may be hooked so next up I'll take your recommendation of Stupid Dream.

One question, there were several double discs in the bin that were labeled as "expanded versions". What are your thoughts on these?
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 2:56 pm

Rob wrote:For those that are not aware Richard has an excellent solo album called Things Buried. It features superb bass playing from Percy Jones and Andy Gangadeen from the Bays/Massive Attack on drums.

Now this sounds interesting (always loved Percy Jones)!

Thanks for the tip...
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 pm

John Trevethan wrote: Well, I was in Tower Records today and had Porcupine Tree's Signify in my hands... then for some reason I put it back and bought Deadwing. I think it must have been the included video that caught my eye.

Anyway, I played it in the car on the way home and it blew me away! It was much heavier than I was expecting, more in the realm of Tool from a guitar standpoint but the vocals were more melodic than most modern heavy music. Overall the record just sounds fantastic, great guitar sounds and unbelievably good production. I think that I may be hooked so next up I'll take your recommendation of Stupid Dream.

One question, there were several double discs in the bin that were labeled as "expanded versions". What are your thoughts on these?

Well, Deadwing is the latest album and I'd say their most heaviest. Wilson started really getting into Swedish metal and no one knows Metal better than depressed Swedes! :-D

The expanded versions = essential! Some have included material you won't find anywhere else. Except possibly on e-buy for exhorbonant prices. Signify includes Insignifigance; I think Up the Downstair includes Staircase Infinities and these are rare and well out of print releases, same for many others. The remastering and remixing just bring out the best in the tracks and the packaging is beautiful.

If you do get the 5.1 DVD-A rerelease of Stupid Dream - be prepared to be blown away. SERIOUSLY. M-F'ing amazing sound. Richards parts - piano parts, girls, good Lord, get yer minds out the gutter! - really come alive in surround sound. If I heard that album the way it is today for the first time.... I can't even imagine. I'm floored with it and I've lived that album for many many years. I've had three copies (down to 2 now) all very well worn - knew all the bits by heart, but there's now tons - TONS more to it I never heard before. My nips are hard just thinking about it. Seriously, music has too much of an effect on me. :oops:

Anyway, yes, do the remasters and .... Stupid Dream. Burning Shed I think is still the only place to get it. Here's the info they give:
A brand new edition of the long out of print 1999 studio album by Porcupine Tree, considered to be one of their best. The album contains PT classics such as Even Less, Pure Narcotic, Tinto Brass, and Stop Swimming, and has been lavishly revamped into a definitive 2 disc set. Disc one is a CD containing a pristine remix / remaster of the original stereo album, while disc two is a DVDA (playable on any DVD player) containing the album remixed into 5.1 surround sound (in DVDA and DTS versions), as well as a 24 bit high resolution version of the stereo mix. Also included are 5.1 mixes of bonus tracks Ambulance Chasing and the full length 14 minute version of Even Less, the promo video for Piano Lessons, and a photo gallery. The artwork has also been completely revamped, with exceptional new images by Lasse Hoile, and a beautiful package designed by Carl Glover. This is the definitive version of one of the essential albums in the PT catalogue.

We are now waiting for a new pressing - the release date below is approximate. Please note that any orders placed after 21st May will not be sent until this batch arrives.

Ask Sonic if your system will handle playing this Masterpiece. :wink:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Wed May 24, 2006 3:49 pm

John Trevethan wrote:
Rob wrote:For those that are not aware Richard has an excellent solo album called Things Buried. It features superb bass playing from Percy Jones and Andy Gangadeen from the Bays/Massive Attack on drums.

Now this sounds interesting (always loved Percy Jones)!

Thanks for the tip...

MMhmmmmm... GREAT album! Percy's amazing! Saw him open up for PT playing with Tunnels. Excellent stuff.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 8:16 pm

proggrl wrote:I've had three copies (down to 2 now) all very well worn - knew all the bits by heart, but there's now tons - TONS more to it I never heard before. My nips are hard just thinking about it. Seriously, music has too much of an effect on me. :oops:

Wow, can I come over to your place and listen to Stupid Dream? *ducking*

Seriously though - thanks for all of the PT info. So far I think that my favorite song on Deadwing is "Arriving Somewhere". I also had a chance to watch the included video and it was quite interesting. Richard Barbieri was playing tennis in one of the clips.

I'm definitely picking up some classic Pink Floyd vibes here and there, which is fine by me. Damn! - I just dropped a load of cash on all of the Japan / Sylvian remasters... now I'm wanting all of those PT double sets!
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Wed May 24, 2006 10:56 pm

John Trevethan wrote:
proggrl wrote:I've had three copies (down to 2 now) all very well worn - knew all the bits by heart, but there's now tons - TONS more to it I never heard before. My nips are hard just thinking about it. Seriously, music has too much of an effect on me. :oops:

Wow, can I come over to your place and listen to Stupid Dream? *ducking*

Ya knoooow.... I was about to say, "yeah sure, whatever come on by", but then I read what you quoted and went...'oh. THAT'S why he wants to listen to it here'! heheeh You're right on one thing, Arriving is the best track on there. That one just encompases everything that is wonderful about the tree. Like Wilson took all his tricks and threw in the bag for that one. I had a complete out of body experience one time during that song, the last time I saw 'em live. Genious.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Thu May 25, 2006 1:49 am

Well folks, as you can see Ms Proggrl get's a bit carried away where PT are concerned, don't worry, I've sent someone round to administer her medication, normal service will be resumed shortly :lol:

Seriously though, do be careful when experimenting with Porcupine Tree, it is highly addictive and can have a seriously adverse effect on your bank balance ;-)

Some of the stuff is quite heavy - well spotted with the Tool comparisons there John - however, they do have a 'dreamy' side to them too. There have been some Sigur Ros comparisons with the Deadwing album too.

Steven Wilson the main man has become a fantastic producer/arranger and this is getting picked up on by a lot of bands and artists. He has a very ecclectic taste and this is reflected by the fact that he doesn't just have Porcupine tree as his band - he has several other side projects going on at the same time - one of which, the ambient "Bass Communion" are very highly respected in those circles.

I think there is something for everyone in Wilson's music - OK so everyone won't like everything he puts out, but there are lots of things to latch onto. I for one am really glad Richard joined the band, because I think his contributions just get better and better, giving him an outlet away from his 'normal' stuff'

As Proggrl said, the remastered albums sound great - Stupid Dream in particular - however, if you are planning to buy Stupid Dream I'd wait a few weeks. It's only avaialbe from Burning Shed at the moment and there is a manufacturing fault in the first batches of the DTS surround sound version.

The music may do strange things to my good friend Proggrl (methinks there may have been a little bit too much information there me dear :lol: ) but the three Porcupine Tree Surround sound releases have to be heard to be believed - Award winning they are. Would you believe me if I told you that people have been known to buy surround sound systems because of these albums? It's true.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 4:33 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:Seriously though, do be careful when experimenting with Porcupine Tree, it is highly addictive and can have a seriously adverse effect on your bank balance ;-)

*rolls eyes* - Oh no, my poor bank balance..... :D

But hey, the way I look at it - Id rather go out and buy wonderful music than waste money on drinking and designer trainers...
Last edited by kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu May 25, 2006 7:14 am

kinki wrote:
sonic_chronicler wrote:Seriously though, do be careful when experimenting with Porcupine Tree, it is highly addictive and can have a seriously adverse effect on your bank balance ;-)

*rolls eye* - Oh no, my poor bank balance..... :D

But hey, the way I look at it - Id rather go out and buy wonderful music than waste money on drinking and designer trainers...

Yeah! Now you're talkin'! My dad always gets on my case because I want to get so much Japan stuff, but I say, why not spend your money on what you love!!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:Well folks, as you can see Ms Proggrl get's a bit carried away where PT are concerned, don't worry, I've sent someone round to administer her medication, normal service will be resumed shortly :lol:

:x HEY! Careful there, you! I resemble those remarks! :-D

sonic_chronicler wrote: Would you believe me if I told you that people have been known to buy surround sound systems because of these albums? It's true.

He's right, it's true. Now, THAT'S an expensive album when you have to buy the DVD-A player and Surround System to go with it. :P
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 am

kinki wrote:

Exactly! Some addictions are much MUCH better than others! :)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu May 25, 2006 8:23 am

proggrl wrote:
kinki wrote:

Exactly! Some addictions are much MUCH better than others! :)

Very much agreed here. There are indeed worse addictions, and I am glad I always wanted to spend my money on music etc instead of drugs, etc. I'm sure my parents were relieved that I was too.

Kera, you tell your Dad it could be a lot worse. Now if his concern is about saving for college etc then I understand. But it is obvious you are a brilliant gal and the Scholarship people should be knocking on your door.

You are doing alright in my book Kera---at least what I can sense so far!!! :wink:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Thu May 25, 2006 11:21 am

OK, another question for the Porcupine Tree experts:

Which album features Richard Barbieri the most?

Since I'm new to PT and they have so many releases I'm trying to get some kind of a plan happening. Having experienced the heavy and guitar oriented Deadwing I now want to go to the other extreme with the most Barbieri-laden release. From what everyone has said the pre-Barbieri stuff was very dreamy and atmospheric, however I want to stay with the full band material for the moment.

Proggrl, you recommended Stupid Dream as being progressive and Signify as the definitive PT sound - how prominently does Richard figure into these two releases?
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 11:25 am

proggrl wrote:
sonic_chronicler wrote: Would you believe me if I told you that people have been known to buy surround sound systems because of these albums? It's true.

He's right, it's true. Now, THAT'S an expensive album when you have to buy the DVD-A player and Surround System to go with it. :P

Flippin 'eck really? Do you really appreciate the music that much more? (Secretly admits you probably do :roll: )
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Richard Barbieri