Richard Barbieri

News, gigs, releases and discussion about Richard

Richard Barbieri

Postby John Trevethan on Fri May 12, 2006 9:24 pm

OK - I know that Richard works with Porcupine Tree, and I'm somewhat familiar with PT through magazines. I also know that Robert Fripp opened for them on several dates, and I've had much respect for Robert over the years.

I'd like to delve into Porcupine Tree and would like to get opinions on the best song/album to begin with. Keep in mind that I'm into anything Sylvian, Fripp and King Crimson as well as others such as Talk Talk, Sigur Ros and Ozric Tentacles.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations...
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Sat May 13, 2006 8:56 am

First let me say that there's not a PTree album I don't love and adore all the way through. There are only a few bands I can really say that about (Sylvian, Echolyn and Kate I think are the only other ones. Although if she weren't the Goddess she is, I would have to count Kate out of that for the Red Shoes :oops: )

Anyway, I might suggest Signify or Stupid Dream which is being rereleased.

This is a band that has truly progressed from the beginning. Their first CD, On the Sunday of Life is very psychedelic ala very early Hawkwind. Voyage 34 is also a very trippy CD all about a guy on his 34th 'trip'. There are 4 'phases' of the Voyage to which Richard contributes on the fourth. Up the Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways is the period where people started refering to them as Floyd clones. Whilst there are certainly similarities I find that comparison a bit unfair.

Also it was somewhere around the end of the UtD recording that Porcupine Tree became an actual band (as opposed to a Steve Wilson solo project) with Barbieri as a full time member. Both he and Suzanne contribute to UtD. This is perhaps one of my favourites from them if only for Always Never. The Sky Moves Sideways (or is this one of my faves? Oh toss it, I love em all) was the first thing I heard from them and their first as a full out 'band' project. Suzanne and Theo Travis are on the title track.

Signify, to me, really marked and pinned the "Porcupine Tree" sound. As if Wilson got so sick of the Floyd comparisons, he shifted the band's direction again. I think this is the one (between this and TSMS) that really put them on the map in the progressive community. Lots of flowing synths, dreamy landscapes, beautiful vocals, the soaring crying guitar of Mr. Wilson... That's the Tree, darlings! Then they released Coma Divine, a live album solidifying that sound.

Once they had that sound down, they did what only they could do and changed it again. Stupid Dream for many reasons is considered one of their masterpieces and has been well sought after since it went out of print. The good news for those just getting into them is that it's being rereleased in 5.1!! This is just a genious album, I don't think I can explain it another way. Lightbulb Sun followed suit moulding the new sounds of SD in different ways.

Of course by now he'd moulded THAT sound so had to progress forward again, going in a more heavier direction with In Absentia and Deadwing. IA also marked the departure of drummer Chris Maitland (with all the feel in the world) replaced by Gavin Harrison (Mr. Techinque, ie a great drummer, but I think he lacks a bit of the feel-IMNSHO). Both albums still contained the flowing sadness that could be found on any Tree album, but the guitars were more upfront and crunchy. Starting with Stupid Dream, I find the compositions to be more consise than on previous albums.

With the exception of some limited and live releases, that should give you an overview of their official recordings. My new Porcupine Tree book will be out .... well, probably never. hehheee. So, Sonic, how'd I do? I'm sure you'll have something to add to this. ;)

Again, John (T), being the echolyn fan you are, I think the Stupid Dream rerelease will be for you. Go to Burning Shed to order it (or any other PTree albums you might want). Be warned, once you go there, any financial stability you may have or thought to have .... will be over.

Enjoy!!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Tue May 16, 2006 3:28 pm

proggrl,

Thanks for the very in-depth info on PT - I will be heading down to Tower shortly to pick up Stupid Dream (and probably Signify as well).

Thanks again!
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Tue May 16, 2006 6:36 pm

:smt045 My job here is done. hehe You're quite welcome, John. Enjoy!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue May 16, 2006 10:04 pm

Congratulations, Proggrl! You are the first person on the boards to get 20 posts- Which means you have just moved from Noob to Regular, now you have Rob Dean and Richard Barbieri!

Congrats!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Wed May 17, 2006 7:35 am

:lol: Thanks! Does that officially mean I need to get a life??
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Wed May 17, 2006 2:05 pm

proggrl wrote: So, Sonic, how'd I do? I'm sure you'll have something to add to this. ;)

No, I think you have it pretty much covered :wink:

20 posts eh? :lol:

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Wed May 17, 2006 3:34 pm

Yep! Now I have Richard Barbieri!! I wonder what his wife would say?? :lol:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed May 17, 2006 9:57 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Congratulations, Proggrl! You are the first person on the boards to get 20 posts- Which means you have just moved from Noob to Regular, now you have Rob Dean and Richard Barbieri!

Congrats!

-Kera-

Cute idea!

Hmm... when you reach 100 posts, does David pop out of the screen and kiss you? :smt040

*hides*
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Wed May 17, 2006 10:12 pm

WOW! I Like the way you think, lastgoldstar!! Well, I'm over a fifth of the way there... I better get my fingers moving and work out the ol' smakers! :smt058

Knew I should've moved back to New England! :?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Thu May 18, 2006 4:35 am

Calm yourself proggrl, all that happens for 100 posts is Steve appears out of nowhere and hits you over the head with a drumstick :lol:

Wait 'til you get to 1000 posts, then you'll be all godlike just like Sylvian ;-)

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am

Fine by me, a Batt brother is a Batt brother. I'd be honoured to be touched by a drumstick that was once held by Mr. Jansen, ESPECIALLY while he's still holding it! :-D

At 1000 posts I will change my sig to "She's a god(dess)... in an alcove."
and there's nothing you can do about it!! :smt005 Just kidding, I will never be as Godly as Sylvian.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Fri May 19, 2006 7:59 am

proggrl wrote:Fine by me, a Batt brother is a Batt brother. I'd be honoured to be touched by a drumstick that was once held by Mr. Jansen, ESPECIALLY while he's still holding it! :-D

At 1000 posts I will change my sig to "She's a god(dess)... in an alcove."
and there's nothing you can do about it!! :smt005 Just kidding, I will never be as Godly as Sylvian.

Snarf!
Too funny!
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 6:20 pm

lastgoldstar wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:Congratulations, Proggrl! You are the first person on the boards to get 20 posts- Which means you have just moved from Noob to Regular, now you have Rob Dean and Richard Barbieri!

Congrats!

-Kera-

Cute idea!

Hmm... when you reach 100 posts, does David pop out of the screen and kiss you? :smt040

*hides*

No, unfortunately I couldn't set that up. I don't want to be responsable for the heart-related deaths of all of the women on this board.

;-)

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Rob on Tue May 23, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi,

For those that are not aware Richard has an excellent solo album called Things Buried. It features superb bass playing from Percy Jones and Andy Gangadeen from the Bays/Massive Attack on drums.

If features all the hallmark Barbieri synth sounds you find on GTP and Tin Drum whilst sounding totaly original at the same time. Totally instrumental the album starts with Nevada which is just stunning piece of ambient texturing. The album moves from synth scapes to dynamic rythmic workouts featuring the above musicians and is a joy to hear time and time again.

I really like Porcupine Tree but this surpasses anything he has done with that band in my oppinion. I was lucky enough to hear this stuff live last year and was totally blown away.

Another group to feature Barbieri is the Bays. They never record anything, just play live with the whole set improvised. There live gigs are often available for d/load via their website but I have not managed to find one featuring Richard.

What are other peoples oppinion on this great album?

Rob
Rob
Noob
Noob

Next

Return to Richard Barbieri