Richard Barbieri

News, gigs, releases and discussion about Richard

Postby proggrl on Thu May 25, 2006 4:24 pm

John Trevethan wrote:Which album features Richard Barbieri the most?

Proggrl, you recommended Stupid Dream as being progressive and Signify as the definitive PT sound - how prominently does Richard figure into these two releases?

Well, again he didn't become -in fact there were no - official 'members' of the band until after The Sky Moves Sideways (although he hadd been contributing since Voyage34). I don't know that I'd say he's ever 'featured', or that anything track is particularly "Barbieri-laden". Mostly Steven Wilson (the main man of PT) writes all the stuff and they come in and play it/record it. Which isn't say they don't all come up with some of their own stuff.

As far as Stupid Dream and Signify are concerned, I'd still recommend them. With the original SD, I never thought he stood out, but on the new remastered 5.1 mix I'm completely blown away by what he's doing on that album that I never really heard before. Signify is a bit more on the 'other extreme' being more dreamy and atmospheric. He has a lot of nice washing sounds on those and then some of what I call the typical Barbieri 'soundsmithing'. He really knows how to use sounds to fill a track, especially on The Sleep With No Dreaming and Every Home Is Wired. SD fits right in the middle of Signify and Deadwing.

The Sky Moves Sideways is also dreamy and atmospheric, so that might be a good one. There's some nice RB sounds on there. But that's more of a half band/half solo album. Those is my recommendations and I'm sticking to 'em.

@ Kinki - Yes the surround sound really brings it out and makes it that much better, and therefore you appreciate it more. For one thing, youre hearing more. And Yes, that's how obsessive Tree fans are.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 26, 2006 2:28 am

proggrl wrote: (although he hadd been contributing since Voyage34).

Not strictly True my PT Friend ;-) RB's first appearance on a PT record was on Up The Downstair. He only appears on the remix 12" version of Voyage 34 which came later.

proggrl wrote: Signify is a bit more on the 'other extreme' being more dreamy and atmospheric. He has a lot of nice washing sounds on those and then some of what I call the typical Barbieri 'soundsmithing'. He really knows how to use sounds to fill a track, especially on The Sleep With No Dreaming and Every Home Is Wired.

Do be aware however that Signify does contain some very heavy moments - particularly the title track.

proggrl wrote:The Sky Moves Sideways is also dreamy and atmospheric, so that might be a good one. There's some nice RB sounds on there. But that's more of a half band/half solo album.

This is also the album that is most often compared to Pink Floyd if you want a reference point.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 26, 2006 4:41 am

proggrl wrote:@ Kinki - Yes the surround sound really brings it out and makes it that much better, and therefore you appreciate it more. For one thing, youre hearing more. And Yes, that's how obsessive Tree fans are.

Well, I must start saving for some better speakers then - Im not familiar with Rich's solo work at all (*hangs head*) but I'm excited by what you are saying about it.

I ADORE good ambient music so it sounds like there is a real treat in store. I cant believe Ive been so lazy as to not listen to it until now. Shocking behaviour!
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:
proggrl wrote: (although he hadd been contributing since Voyage34).

Not strictly True my PT Friend ;-) RB's first appearance on a PT record was on Up The Downstair. He only appears on the remix 12" version of Voyage 34 which came later.

True, but I still think of that album as before UtD for some odd reason.... So even though his contributions on that came later, that's where I place his initial 'entry'. It's just how my tired lazy brain works.

sonic_chronicler wrote:Do be aware however that Signify does contain some very heavy moments - particularly the title track.

But then I suppose you can say, 'Do be aware however that all of their albums do contain some very heavy moments'. Some (Deadwing and In Absentia, particularly) more than others. SD even has some very heavy moments. Listening last night I thought I was going to be blasted out through the wall! Course, the cat when skittering off like there was some earthquake coming or something. :-D

sonic_chronicler wrote:
proggrl wrote:The Sky Moves Sideways is also dreamy and atmospheric, so that might be a good one. There's some nice RB sounds on there. But that's more of a half band/half solo album.

This is also the album that is most often compared to Pink Floyd if you want a reference point.

Yep, but I think I pointed that out in my original loooooong PT tome. Oh and again, it contains some heavy moments. ;)

Thanks for clarifying things for me, Sonic my dear.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 am

proggrl wrote:
sonic_chronicler wrote:Do be aware however that Signify does contain some very heavy moments - particularly the title track.

But then I suppose you can say, 'Do be aware however that all of their albums do contain some very heavy moments'.

The reason I mentioned it is because of the 'scare' factor. Can you imagine some frail Japan fan placing the disc in the tray, hitting play and hearing....

"We invite you to listen to some very quiet & relaxing music....." followed by the Rifftastic Signify?

It could cause a coronary in the more sensitive amongst our number - in addition to them reaching for the STOP button and cursing "Why that Proggrl & Sonic, Why I Oughtta!!!!!! - This is nothing like Japan" :lol:

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Fri May 26, 2006 11:47 am

Seeing as how I'm getting into a Porcupine Tree craze I figured that I better stop highjacking this topic and start a dedicated PT section in the General Discussion area (under Japan).

Click here to go!
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Suzanne Barbieri

Postby John Trevethan on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:57 am

I just discovered Suzanne Barbieri's MySpace page - Suzanne is Richard's wife.

The first song on her page - Golem - sounds like it has Mick Karn on bass.

Check it out:

www.myspace.com/suzannebarbieri
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Previous

Return to Richard Barbieri