'Slope' solo concert(s?)

Solo career, news, photography and all things related to Steve

'Slope' solo concert(s?)

Postby natsume on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Feb. 29th, 2008, Meguro Persimmon Hall, Tokyo.

The attendees at the Osaka show were given a flyer, I assume at Tokyo as well. No info about other shows.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:35 pm

Oh wow! That sounds amazing! Wish he made something here too! :D
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Information about the solo concert (and possible others) now up on Samadhisound.

http://www.stevejansen.com/news/steve_j ... _2008.html
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:10 am

I wasn't quite excited enough about the album to merit a trip to Tokyo (I am only two hours away) for the show, but now that the nature of the show is being explained, and with the contributions from Cornelius and Masakatsu, it sounds interesting. I think I am going to check it out. Too bad I am clueless on the lottery, I think I already have to have an account with Lawson's or Seven Eleven. Am I wrong? I guess I will wait and get a ticket on Dec. 2nd.

It will be the start of a nice weekend in Tokyo!
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:11 am

Natsume, could you please tell us the name of the website for tickets? I'd love to go :-)
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Steerpike on Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 am

Bridget wrote:Natsume, could you please tell us the name of the website for tickets? I'd love to go :-)
;-)

Gosh Bridget you have caught the Travel Bug haven't you? :lol: How many concert dates (and cities) have you been to now? I've lost count??

On the website Steve says that if that concert works then he'll tour with it, so here's hoping it's a big success as he'll bring it over here.
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 am

I've lost count too, Steerpike :P
I've also caught the Drum Bug and Flu..

I hope Steve will tour many dates around the whole world because everybody should be able to see him play.
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Steerpike on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 am

Bridget wrote:I've lost count too, Steerpike :P
I've also caught the Drum Bug and Flu..

I hope Steve will tour many dates around the whole world because everybody should be able to see him play.

I agree too :D Get well soon by the way.
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 am

http://www.bls-act.co.jp/news2/event/_slope.html

I can"t really read Japanese, all I can figure out is that there is a lottery, and it lasts until Wednesday. It looks like you already have to be registered with one of two companies/convenience stores that sell tickets to join in on the lottery, but I am not sure. Any help?

General tix are on sale on December 2nd. I am not terribly worried that it will sell out automatically, but I will go and get a ticket on that day.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:13 pm

fabulous. since i had vague plans to go to japan when sylvian played i might go in february instead. what is the weather like in late february? is it decent in tokyo? i'd like to go to hiroshima as well and probably naoshima, it seems amazingly beautiful.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Yikes Bridget, if Steve sees you there... :-D
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:10 pm

i've got a ticket! so it seems like i m going to japan in february.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Sylvie on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:13 am

Oh well, Steve Jansen was brilliant. Very unique experience. No singers present, however it really worked out with them on the screen. Loved the string quartet.
Might get you a better review when I get home from Japan in a few weeks.

For those hardcore fans; yes, he looked great.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks Sylvie! Good to know it was good! :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:08 am

Meguro Persimmon Hall is a very beautiful, new, mid-size facility, and one thing about the show that was just awesome: perfect sound.

It was Steve, Cornelius, Takagi, and a string quartet. Essentially, after a very slow lead in, pulsing electronic strings that were eventually joined by the quartet, the full band broke into Grip, and they played the entire album, start to finish. All of the vocals were the recorded versions, although they may have been different takes, in some cases. Sylvian's Playground Martyrs sounded like it might have been. The lack of vocalists was addressed, in I think a very satisfactory way, by videos of each singer projected, with the rest of the evening's visuals, on a giant screen behind the band. After the album, the band briefly left the stage, and they came back to do Swimming in Qualia, about a 25 minute version. Steve introduced the musicians, I think right before Ballad of a Deadman. And he also indroduced Swimming, saying something about it being far darker than the first part of the show, and hoping we liked it.

It was very professional, as one would expect. The guitar, keys, and strings fleshed out, made "live", the essentially digitized skeletal structure of the music. I have some reservations about this, the same I had for the use of the prerecorded music on the World is Everything tour, and there as well it seemed to mostly be used with Steve's Nine Horses stuff. I guess, given the talent, I would probably be happier with skeletal versions of the songs using just the musicians that are there. Given that, I was most happy with this show when Steve was focused on percussion, his hybrid kit of pads and cymbals, and the music openned up and felt more like a live band. December Train and Deadman were both the standouts for me, for these reasons.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the show, it was a treat, and really made the new work come across very strong. Steve was lovely, and his usual modest and quiet self.

The crowd was almost entirely Japanese. I think I saw Masami Tsuchiya. If it was him, he was wearing a dress. Missed Sylvie, although we tried to hook up.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Steve Jansen