archive-track with Takahashi

Solo career, news, photography and all things related to Steve

archive-track with Takahashi

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:09 am

Steve posted a 40 years old demo-track from The Takahashi Band on Soundcloud with new added vocals. Sounds very much like Japan :P

Recently I mentioned that I had a cassette tape from over 40 years ago when The Takahashi Band of 82 made a demo track for a potential TV commercial. The track was only worked on for a day or two and then abandoned. I think we all had a busy year and for whatever reason this recording was discarded.

I also talked about sharing the recording one day just for nostalgic reasons, however the mix was a very basic end-of-day progress mix and no vocal part was conceived. Sharing it in this form would not do the potential of the work any justice.

The track began with chords and synths that Yukihiro Takahashi recorded, the basic building blocks of his composition. I added the drum part. Having been intensively rehearsing and performing Takahashi material this triggered a distinct blend of my own style as might appear on tracks such as 'The Art of Parties' and Yukihiro's style on tracks such as 'Glass'. Haruomi Hosono added his brilliance on bass, as well as Masami Tsuchiya overlaying guitar parts and Hajime Tachibana adding a saxophone solo.

Fast forward over 40 years....

At the end of 2023 I sent the demo to singer/songwriter Marco Machera, someone I’ve collaborated with a few times in the past and whose vocal style I felt would compliment the music. Yukihiro also enjoyed Marco's music, including it on his own radio show. I asked Marco to consider adding a vocal which he was happy to do, also composing lyrics too.

I used an AI program to break down the stereo mix of the original cassette recording into individual tracks (this is a relatively new technology and although the quality struggled it allowed for a little bit more flexibility with the mixing and blending of new overdubs). The performed parts were retained, and to which I recorded some additional instrumentation as well as joining Marco on the chorus vocals. I made a new mix of the track. So what we have here is the finished piece: “Impossible Until It Happens”.

Marco and I share this as an homage to Yukihiro who passed away this time last year and is greatly missed. We can feel the essence of Yukihiro's writing style in this track and we hope that you enjoy it.

Music by Yukihiro Takahashi / Song & Lyrics by Marco Machera

Yukihiro Takahashi - Keyboards
Haruomi Hosono - Electric Bass
Steve Jansen - Drums & Percussion, Additional Sequencers & Synthesisers, Chorus Vocals
Masami Tsuchiya - Electric Guitar
Hajime Tachibana - Saxophone
Marco Machera - Lead Vocals, Samples, Additional Synthesiser
(for more information www.marcomachera.com)

https://soundcloud.com/istevejansen/imp ... LrLg4dVo9w
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Steve Jansen