Video of Steve performing with Yuki at recent Sonar Festival

Solo career, news, photography and all things related to Steve

Postby arieleleven on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:59 am

Bern wrote:Sylvian wore glasses just as a fashion accessory in the early 80's but Jansen was in fact the first in Japan to do so I remember photo's from the Obscure Alternatives period were he was wearing a very 60's style white framed pair

Yes, he was at that, you are right! I had completely forgotten about this. Many thanks for the reminder! So, those were just for show, then, and not prescription? (Coincidentally, Adam Ant sported glasses with similar frames, I think, circa 75 in his first band Bazooka Joe, but his of course were indeed prescription. Just a bit of optometric trivia there!)
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:23 pm

I just sent Sweet Billy Pilgrim a post re: the Glasses Debate. (Yes, I am probably crazy, but I figured what the heck, right?!) If he actually responds, I will let you all know.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

the great sunglass debate

Postby lisa on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:27 pm

I've got it ! The train was in a tunnel - (which explains why steve took the sunglasses off temporarily). My Japanese girlfriend said that they travelled during the day. Go on Becky ... ask Tim ! He seems like a nice, friendly sort and it'll solve the mystery once and for all.
lisa
Regular
Regular

Re: the great sunglass debate

Postby arieleleven on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:43 pm

lisa wrote:I've got it ! The train was in a tunnel - (which explains why steve took the sunglasses off temporarily). My Japanese girlfriend said that they travelled during the day. Go on Becky ... ask Tim ! He seems like a nice, friendly sort and it'll solve the mystery once and for all.

It does sound as if you have hit on it here, Lisa! Of course the train could have been going through a tunnel, which would explain the apparent darkness outside...but the lenses on his glasses still look clear to me in that photo...in any case, I did write Tim and we'll see if he is bored and/ or feeling charitable enough to put us out of our misery here and solve this mystery once and for all!
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lisa on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Well done Becky - I'm waiting for that response........ !
lisa
Regular
Regular

Postby arieleleven on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:27 pm

lisa wrote:Well done Becky - I'm waiting for that response........ !

Thanks, Lisa! I hope we get one...according to my MySpace mailbox, my post did get read not long after I sent it, but as of yet, I have not received a reply. If nothing else, I am hoping Tim will at least respect me for having the sheer gall (to put it politely) to actually ask him about Steve's eyesight...even if he just laughed and deleted my message. :?

Maybe he will still respond, but if not, at least I tried, right?!!
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lisa on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:12 am

absolutely... all credit to you !
lisa
Regular
Regular

Postby arieleleven on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:18 am

lisa wrote:absolutely... all credit to you !

Thanks, Lisa...I have to confess, though, that I am rather wishing I hadn't written now. I fear I did in fact make a complete imbecile of myself as I had thought I might.

Oh well...this is what I get for acting impetuously, eh?! :?
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lisa on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:52 pm

oh I wouldn't worry too much Becky - from what I gather Mr. Elsengurg seems like a very down to earth guy, and a bit of a 'fan' himself. I'm sure he understands, although he might think twice about answering your email for reasons of etiquette.
L.
lisa
Regular
Regular

Postby arieleleven on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:08 pm

lisa wrote:oh I wouldn't worry too much Becky - from what I gather Mr. Elsengurg seems like a very down to earth guy, and a bit of a 'fan' himself. I'm sure he understands, although he might think twice about answering your email for reasons of etiquette.
L.

That's it exactly -- I really wish I had not acted so impulsively by writing him about something that is (let's face it) really nobody else's business...even if it was meant to be all in good fun. I just hope it didn't seem somehow rude?

Tim does seem very nice -- I wrote him recently re: his recent blogs on the Japanese tour and he responded, it was a lovely message.

I will just count to ten next time I feel like acting on impulse about anything. :-)
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lisa on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:16 pm

so how did you pose the question in the end (I read your postings on the other thread... was that the approach?) - hope you don't mind my asking.
L.
lisa
Regular
Regular

Postby lisa on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:34 pm

just found these URL's. The first has a few photos of Steve - including a 'thanks to everyone' tour group shot with steve front row on the right and some shots taken at the 'something blue - extra' dates (which I think is the improvised sets).

And the second link includes the 'comic strip' that Tim mentions in his blog.

http://www.intenzio.co.jp/yukihiro/room66plus/

http://www.intenzio.co.jp/yukihiro/room ... 60928.html
lisa
Regular
Regular

Postby arieleleven on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:35 pm

lisa wrote:so how did you pose the question in the end (I read your postings on the other thread... was that the approach?) - hope you don't mind my asking.
L.

No, I don't mind you asking, I am just a bit hazy on the exact wording because I essentially just wrote it and sent it, without taking a whole lot of time to consider it. I did try to take a humorous approach, though, as I did with my first note to him to which he seemed to respond well. I just said that some of my online friends and I were having a small debate re: whether or not the glasses on Steve's head in that blog picture were prescription or not, and we were wondering if he might be able to solve this mystery for us. I really don't think I said anything overtly rude -- I certainly had no intention of doing so -- but he might have found me nosy and impertinent (many do). :-)

Whatever --I am probably blowing this all out of proportion in any case (I do that a lot, ha).
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:50 pm

LOL Arieleleven... Don't freak out too much!

I often worry a lot too... Sometimes I bite my nails to to nub thinking about if David Sylvian or the other guys saw my site... I think "Would they be angry at all of the girly gushing?? Does he think '101 things to do to a blindfolded David Sylvian' is completely innapropriate? Does he think we're all massive stalkers and the reason this site is up is one of the reasons he doesn't want to tour anymore... Oh gawd!!" *SLAP*

... So.... I completely understand what you mean about blowing things out of preportion... Also, I know that sometimes when I have gotten a message on myspace, I only have time to read it, and it takes me a few days to get back at the person... Perhaps he is just very busy!!

Either way, whether or not you get a response... You rule for having the guts to write him!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby arieleleven on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:03 am

I think we found Steve at last here, and it looks like Lisa and her friend were right! Here is a different angle of this same song performance -- it is from a distance but there is indeed a fourth person at the far end of the stage, beside the melodica player. (The lap steel guitar player whom we thought might be Steve is actually behind Yukihiro...he is visible toward the end when Yukihiro moves away from the mike.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6e7sLeeeM

Thanks so much, Kera, for your truly kind and reassuring words, too! Sorry to sound so neurotic. :-) I recall John T. saying something about how he thinks David would be flattered by the fact that he can still make the girls swoon (hopefully Steve feels the same way, ha) and I think they would all be amused by some of our posts here as well as interested in our opinions on more serious music-related topics, etc. That's just my humble take on it, anyway!

You're right, I'm sure Tim is a busy man and must get a lot of mail. I promise I am done stressing about this issue now. :)
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Steve Jansen