ZigZag Interview with Mick Karn - April 1982

Interviews with the band and ex-members

Re: Yoko Fuji

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:10 am

traiskin wrote:I wonder what Steve's take on all this was. Is there an interview from Steve's point of view?

The only comments I've ever read from Steve regarding Yuka and David were that they seemed very well suited for each other, they made a good couple. Holgar Czukay liked her very much, he said similar things in interviews. Yet in the end she dumped David, never heard any details about that except that it took David totally by surprise.

Steve did make a few angry comments against the ZigZag reporter though, for egging Mick on when he was obviously not in a good state to be interviewed.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby untitled on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 am

Thanks so much for posting this. It is a bit of an uncomfortable read really….but the thing that interested me was Mick’s belief that David couldn’t carry on without them. The process of song writing he describes here, which he believed could only happen within the confines of a band, sounds very much like the way David has continued to work in collaboration with others. Mick seems to see it as a weakness. I see it as a strength.

As for the Yuka thing….the guys clearly have different recollections of how things happened. David makes a brief mention of it in this interview. I only found it recently, more background than interview (typical David!). But again highlights that Japan was pretty much doomed from the start. David could never achieve what he wanted whilst having to compromise with band members.

http://www.sylviesimmons.com/interviews ... vidSylvian
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 am

Those older members might remember a Smash Hits front cover of Japan, not sure if this was before or during the "Sons of Pioneers Tour", and the jist of it was a happy healthy split, and in the photographs they were all laughing and playing around with one another!
Always thought that was kinda strange.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:36 am

Burnsjed wrote:Always thought that was kinda strange.

Within a few months of this Mick did several interviews where he stated that things between him and David were okay again; I think time gave him some perspective upon his relationship with Yuka, and it wasn't as perfect as he stated in ZigZag. (I'll try and get one of those up - he talks about a lot of things, including attending Rob Dean's wedding.)

And yet David has stayed very close with Yuka, she's been involved with Samadhisound from the start, there was even mention a few years ago at Lenin imports that she was working on a photography book chronicling David - wonder what happened to that.

There's so little known about her, as an artist and a person, unless there's been information published in Japanese or on a Japanese webiste which I wouldn't be able to read, lol. Bill Nelson has occassionally mentioned her on his website, and I know she was involved in some anime production, but that's it.

That Smash Hits came out in November 1982 - the interview was conducted just before the start of the final tour. I love the Fin Costello cover, with Mick doing rabbit ears behind David and Rich's heads.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:09 am

That picture will stay with me for ever, for a band that always seemed so serious about their image, it was like a breath of fresh air!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks for the read---very interesting, and clearly he was hurting at the time. Can't really hold too much against him.

As for the latest on Andy Taylor----understand he has signed a book deal, a tell-all-----and the boys are not too upset about it. I for one would welcome a good read from Andy--I enjoy what he has written so far. He has a knack of telling it straight up--no fluff.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:47 pm

krausy wrote:As for the latest on Andy Taylor----understand he has signed a book deal, a tell-all-----and the boys are not too upset about it. I for one would welcome a good read from Andy--I enjoy what he has written so far. He has a knack of telling it straight up--no fluff.

Now that would be good - the story directly from one of the sources. I much prefer autobiographies to biographies when it comes to musical artists - thought "Notorious" and "The Last Romantic" were mainly filler, rehashing stuff from other sources (quotes and stats) - but Gary Numan's autobio, for example, was very interesting.

Mick made mention that he was going to do a Japan one, think he said that last year, but since then not a word about it.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:30 pm

If there is one thing that really grates me, it is kiss and tell books by musicians. Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue has one out next month. I tend to stick with the music, in the end it is the only lasting thing right?

Looking in Paper Plus (a book store chain here in NZ), you can get the autobiography of INXS - on special for $5 (that's about $2.50 US or 1.50 pounds). I had to laugh, especially when I queried it with the sales staff, - "who really wants to read that" was the reply. Blunt perhaps, honest yes.

Andy Taylor's autobiography, as I mentioned over at the LK site, would probably only be ready by die hards or those looking for muck from the 80s. And to be fair, because he is no longer in the group you have to take it with a grain of salt- as the saying goes, because he is for want of a better term "a disgruntled ex-band member" . From the little I had read on his MySpace page he is blunt, and honest perhaps. But I am an old Duranie, and remember the comments he made from the past, comments which from the outside looking in, caused many to view the band as a "broken band". Following this was the huge drop in record sales and shows on the Notorious tour having to be cancelled through lack of ticket sales. I hope that this book when it is released, it does not cause the same thing to happen again.

(Sorry for getting a little of topic there, but DD and their perceived " issues" really nark me at the moment. For while they are stalling, and having all sorts of goings on, 1987 is just rolling back around for them.)

Now, Japan. I hadn't heard that Mick was writing a book, I hope time has given him plenty of perspective on what events took place. Although for a real balanced story, he would need to consider the perspectives of all members of the band, - and last I heard he was not in contact with David, so hmmm.

I have read "The Last Romantic", I was left feeling rather empty after finishing the book. It seemed to cut and paste for me. But in saying that, I would not like to see an autobiography from David (or Nick from Duran for that matter), part of their induring appeal is in the mystery of who they are.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 pm

I know what you all mean about the above books you mentioned, and a few others on the market as well for other artists. They always seem to leave the reader lacking something cohesive and complete. They leave so much detail up in the air, so to speak. But I suppose it is the same old thing of no one wanting everyone in their business.........

As far as Andy's book, I enjoy the way he writes, the way he puts things you realize it is common sense and applies to lots of situations in life. I think it would be entertaining just for that reason......
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:52 pm

ellyn sylvian wrote:I tend to stick with the music, in the end it is the only lasting thing right?

True, it is what lasts. But I find the music and the artist inseperable - the personality and experiences of one create the other - and I enjoy reading about how that all relates. As for the rest, I like getting a glimpse of the private person, to an extent - I don't like reading a bunch of whiney slams though. If it's an autobiography, something of a self-analysis can be interesting and insightful.

ellyn sylvian wrote:(Sorry for getting a little of topic there, but DD and their perceived " issues" really nark me at the moment. For while they are stalling, and having all sorts of goings on, 1987 is just rolling back around for them.)

No worries on that - I hate all the faction/friction stuff that goes around among the fans - a few who seem to enjoy nothing more than slamming the band, weird attention seeking thing imo.

ellyn sylvian wrote:Now, Japan. I hadn't heard that Mick was writing a book

There was a mention in one magazine last year (I think Classic Rock or Record Collector), and I believe on his website. It was a simple statement, something to the effect that a proper history had never been written about the band and with the resurge of interest (all the reissues) the time seemed appropriate.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:04 am

There are a few artists where I find the music and personality inseparable also. Sometimes it works against them though, like Michael Jackson - Off the Wall was a wonderful disco album, yet the majority of people think about his recent problems and bypass the music.

I like to know how a song was constructed. But the personal inspiration behind it? Not really. For example, Ghosts. It has been hinted that it was inspired by a personal event of David's. He has never elaborated as to what it was, and it doesn't stop enjoyment of the track. It has some honest heartfelt lyrics, and it something that we can relate to our lives.

I liked your term " whiney slams", - it is the best way to describe Notorious (in certain chapters). It is also a bit like E! Behind the Music; of all the episodes I've seen, I've been left wondering if quality music can only be produced during moments of pure h*ll?

I'm not too sure I would want to read an authorised story of Japan. Part of the appeal, for me anyway, lies in the not knowing too many personal bits and pieces and just kicking back (chocolate in hand) and listen to the music.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: ZigZag Interview with Mick Karn - April 1982

Postby mysticlady on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks the interview, is pretty much as I remember it in the 80s.I was given it by my older sister and found it annoying .
I hated reading it (didnt want the band to split) Didnt like to see Mick without his shirt of as it seemed so out of "character" for him,and that perhaps he was being exploited,I think the interviewer brought the worst out in Mick and seeing as Mick was upset about things at the time,he should not have done the interview .
Its pretty much the same story in the book,but why is David always the bad guy for stealing Yuka? surely Yuka jumped the ship when she saw the change in tide & to where she saw the money coming.
No offence to The lady,but I think any lady who goes of with the "best friend" has hit an all time low.Especially as she was a lot older than them,with more life experience.Having said all that at least David stayed with her for 10 years afterwards.
Also she is like what "Yoko Ono" was to the beatles........I dont think her influence was such a blessing on Tin drum.I think Quiet Life is the most artistic innovative and fresh sounding album they created.
I also think Steve was very kind to Mick at the time,surely it must be a real clincher,your best friend or your brother.
I think Mick & Dave are like "Yin & Yang".Mick being creative and "giving" ,and David bringing the best out of him and erm "taking" it all.......
Often relationships with conflicting personalities produce the best work,but usually it is short lived.
No offence to any of the above,just my personal opinions which I would like to share.
mysticlady
Noob
Noob

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 am

mysticlady wrote:I think Mick & Dave are like "Yin & Yang".Mick being creative and "giving" ,and David bringing the best out of him and erm "taking" it all.......

:lol:
mysticlady wrote:No offence to any of the above,just my personal opinions which I would like to share.

And thank you for doing it.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby SylvianDarling on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:46 pm

So Yuka has been with Steve, Mick AND David?? :shock: Man eater....
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby Serotonin on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Wow! Yuka dated Steve as well!? I wonder if Steve felt betrayed by Mick when they (Mick & Yuka) started dating, even assuming that he (Steve) and Yuka weren't together anymore (as some guys don't think it is right for their friends to date their ex-girlfriends). Probably not, as Steve - like his brother - seems to have a sweet nature and doesn't bear grudges.
xx
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Interviews