New David Interview - Exit/Delete

David's solo career interviews

New David Interview - Exit/Delete

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:03 am

New interview, "Exit Delete - A Conversation With David Sylvian, Part One" by Robert Leeming. Discusses influences, Manafon, Sleepwalkers, collaborations, etc.

http://robertleeming.wordpress.com/2010 ... -part-one/

The information was posted on the Yahoo Group japan_pioneers (thank you), thought I'd share it here for the benefit of those who are not members of that forum.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New David Interview - Exit/Delete

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:03 am

Cheers!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for the link...noticed this comment...

I have returned to more traditional forms of songwriting of late because it felt fresh for me to do so.

This confirms a weird hunch I have that DS will sucker punch us with something far more traditional before too long...there's been comments about enjoying writing miniatures, the Jacqueline track, the 'Certain slant of light' piece for MK...

Pure speculation of course, but I wonder if this might translate to a set of near acoustic or lightly-arranged ballads...a counterpoint to the modern classical / improv work?

Has anybody else picked up on this?
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby missouriman on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm

I think Blemished is right. Just because Manafon made us all inhale deep and grit our teeth doesn't mean he is through with a set of ballads. He says he will never abandon his first love which is song writing.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks heart for making us aware of that latest interview.

missouriman wrote:Just because Manafon made us all inhale deep and grit our teeth doesn't mean he is through with a set of ballads. He says he will never abandon his first love which is song writing.

'us all' ???
'inhale deep' ??? 'grit our teeth' ???
:-)
'Us all' would imply that there exists some unanimous proof that we went through some traumatic experience as a whole. Surely that is not an accurate depiction. Only some must have felt that trauma...
I guess that Condolences and Sympathies should have been better extended.

And a few others would probably agree that he had never abandoned "song writing"...he simply has taken another approach. Even if that direction holds no interest to those of you going through this unfortunate trauma, it is still a form of "song writing"....yet one that brings on trauma. :-)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:15 pm

baht habit wrote:Thanks heart for making us aware of that latest interview.

missouriman wrote:Just because Manafon made us all inhale deep and grit our teeth doesn't mean he is through with a set of ballads. He says he will never abandon his first love which is song writing.

'us all' ???
'inhale deep' ??? 'grit our teeth' ???
:-)
'Us all' would imply that there exists some unanimous proof that we went through some traumatic experience as a whole. Surely that is not an accurate depiction. Only some must have felt that trauma...
I guess that Condolences and Sympathies should have been better extended.

And a few others would probably agree that he had never abandoned "song writing"...he simply has taken another approach. Even if that direction holds no interest to those of you going through this unfortunate trauma, it is still a form of "song writing"....yet one that brings on trauma. :-)

Trauma is recluse and in a way solitude also it can bring relief...quote unknown
neonico

Postby opiate on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Overboard as usual. :wink:

I agree with Blemished, a return of form (of sorts) is underway. He seems fairly busy which is a good sign hence having an underline drawn with Sleepwalkers.

Great interview, really enjoyed reading this. Interesting insight into his and Ingrid's creative relationship, and the way he dodged the bullet about the 80's starting with "Least favorite question so far" made me snigger. The article flowed very well I thought, he spoke (or more likely wrote) much more naturally to the questions and the description of his shyness created a sense of empathy and understanding of why he can sometimes be looked on as distant. Although why he insists on remaining po faced in every photo still escapes me.

Looking forward to part 2...
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby untitled on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm hoping Santa brings me "David Sylvian's Bumper Book of Brainy Quotes" for Christmas. Jeez....he has one for every occasion :wink:
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:27 pm

opiate wrote:
Although why he insists on remaining po faced in every photo still escapes me.

Looking forward to part 2...

Could he have possibly been going for the solemnity of an Amish farmer in that particular pic?
:twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:51 pm

baht habit wrote:Could he have possibly been going for the solemnity of an Amish farmer in that particular pic?
:twisted:

"Be careful with your traditional forms of song writing out among them English." :smt035

Excellent interview. Very interesting.

Opiate - I would once have agreed - maybe even adding pompous - but with age and experience I’ve re-considered. Shy people, when observed, tend towards being uncomfortable - blushing and lowering their heads to avoid eye contact. Rather than po-faced insistence, I feel the solemnity, gloominess or seriousness David presents is probably indicative of his discomfort in his shyness. A way of getting through and bearing the obligation of a publicity material shoot. Perhaps?

I mentioned on the iTunes thread ages back my feeling that both Jacqueline and A Certain Slant of Light possessed a rather Nick Drake or Tim Harding feel about them, suggesting that as an interesting next direction. I'm hopeful of that now. I agree there is promise of something in the offing more traditional, which I interpret as less stark, or challenging and perhaps more immediately accessible? Certainly not danceable!

The release date sweepstake starts here. 2014, anyone?

Take care
Eddie
I kick the sheets until they rise like mountain ranges at my feet.
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby opiate on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:41 am

EddieBrennan wrote:
Opiate - I would once have agreed - maybe even adding pompous - but with age and experience I’ve re-considered. Shy people, when observed, tend towards being uncomfortable - blushing and lowering their heads to avoid eye contact. Rather than po-faced insistence, I feel the solemnity, gloominess or seriousness David presents is probably indicative of his discomfort in his shyness. A way of getting through and bearing the obligation of a publicity material shoot. Perhaps?

Yeah, I think you're right in the respect that he see's it as an obligation, I don't think it's anything to do with shyness. From earlier photos you can tell, as he hid beneath his hair most of the time.It's no secret that his will is as hard as steel and I think that comes through. Better choices of photographers could go a long way to get the best out of him, I always prefer the candid shots of him.

He must want to control and preserve that solemn look though, as he must be well aware that any of those with him smiling have a completely different reaction :) I mean, c'mon, the guy can cheese! I'm totally convinced that he's a funny guy in person.
I hear them breathing
I tell them secrets
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:16 am

Big Dave has put a direct link to this interview on his website now. Where's Part Two already?
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Haldeman Gracie wrote:Big Dave has put a direct link to this interview on his website now. Where's Part Two already?

:-) Ok, the second part has already been made available and it wasn't all that hard to find, though I suppose the polite thing to do is to spoon feed you ...

Here is part two:
http://robertleeming.wordpress.com/2010/10/

...and what a fantastically informative and in-depth interview this one is.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:40 pm

baht, thanks for the 'spoon feeding', I guess you felt you owed me some. Still, would have been hard for me to find something that didn't yet exist, wouldn't you say?

Has he ever namechecked Radiohead before? I'm convinced they're fans of his based on Kid A more than anything else (particularly How To Disappear Completely and Treefingers). But for a band that namecheck left and right I've never heard them mention him.
Last edited by Haldeman Gracie on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby opiate on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:02 pm

"from Arcade Fire to Radiohead"

He listened to Arcade Fire AND liked it!!!

*GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR* :D
I hear them breathing
I tell them secrets
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Interviews