Witness & Participant - New Interview Up at Samadhisound

David's solo career interviews

Re: Witness & Participant - New Interview Up at Samadhisound

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:04 am

I doubt that anyone can do this interview if you are not familiar with how David Sylvian is. Heck, I am a journalist, a fan, and I wouldn't have thought of an interview like this really. It was indeed very difficult to read. maybe it's me reading in a language it's not mine, but still it would have been equally difficult in Spanish (and yes, put me to sleep a couple of times too).

I don't like Blemish, I don't like Manafon and while I accept them and I know that's what he's going to do from now on, I feel sad that I won't get new music in the style that I like. So I do understand Scott, tho maybe the adjectives about the interview aren't the best. But fans that love what he's doing now have to understand that some of us can be also disappointed. I'm mourning that David Sylvian that "died" in Tokyo. I won't rant, I don't complain, just feel sad that I don't like the musical direction, that's all. I just can hope for a new Nine Horses album at some point. :)

And about the interview, just made me think that David has to be a sad person, seems he can't find happiness or that it is very difficult for him. :( Life isn't easy, but reading this interview seems that he makes it even more difficult to himself, so to speak...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:57 am

sisterlondon wrote:I don't like Blemish, I don't like Manafon and while I accept them and I know that's what he's going to do from now on, I feel sad that I won't get new music in the style that I like. So I do understand Scott, tho maybe the adjectives about the interview aren't the best. But fans that love what he's doing now have to understand that some of us can be also disappointed.

I comprehend your disappointment and I believe most of us can easily empathize. There have been numerous musical artists who have disappointed me with the path they have chosen to take over the years. I am sure that many of the members here on the forum could give similar examples.
But I never would hold it against those artists for following the direction they took. I simply resigned myself to the fact that they were no longer making music for my specific tastes. I could never inflate my own personal preferences enough to the degree of faulting that artist or questioning the validity of the music. Some have done just that, and that is the bone of contention. It is not the disappointment itself --- that, I can fully understand. It is the manner in how that disappointment has been expressed by a portion of the fan base. The scorn comes across like an irrational reaction that some of us can not fathom.

sisterlondon wrote:And about the interview, just made me think that David has to be a sad person, seems he can't find happiness or that it is very difficult for him. :( Life isn't easy, but reading this interview seems that he makes it even more difficult to himself, so to speak...

I am not sure why you would conclude that Sylvian "has to be a sad person" from the interview. I think that many would believe he is introspective and analytical. But 'sad"? Do you assume he is sad simply because he likes to dwell in solitude?
Perhaps this concern you have for Sylvian would be altered when you read the interview he did with the Swedish publication, which was kindly provided by missouriman on another thread. There does exist evidence of joy in the man's life.
Last edited by baht habit on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 pm

I guess its the general tone of the discussion. He doesn't seem to be enthusiastic about anything these days. Some of this could be attributed to the questions that were asked. I think we had this same discussion well before this interview was ever published though. I do think the Swedish interview is a lot more genuine. Those questions are more along the lines of what a long time fan would ask. I particularly like the question about Bowie & Roxy although I think some of it was lost in translation. Its a lot more fun to read thats for sure.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm

ScottR wrote:I guess its the general tone of the discussion. He doesn't seem to be enthusiastic about anything these days. Some of this could be attributed to the questions that were asked. I think we had this same discussion well before this interview was ever published though. I do think the Swedish interview is a lot more genuine. Those questions are more along the lines of what a long time fan would ask. I particularly like the question about Bowie & Roxy although I think some of it was lost in translation. Its a lot more fun to read thats for sure.

I detected much enthusiasm from Sylvian in so many of the interviews that have been conducted in the past year or so - Wire, Mojo, Bomb, the 2 Wall Street Journal features and these latest ones that have popped up. When he is fortunate enough to be interviewed by interested parties, then he gets to delve deep into the methods, motives and process behind his music. When the questions are complex and multifaceted, then Sylvian feels obligated to expand even more on his thoughts and go deeper. I sense great enthusiasm from him as he is given the privilege to express himself.
Perhaps you are projecting your disillusionment with where Sylvian is at musically right now when you perceive him as unenthusiastic? And that you are seeking 'fun' from Sylvian at this stage in his development may leave you further dismayed when he fails to find much fulfillment by engaging in fun and frivolity? Not that I would think highly enough of my own intellect and dare to defame any professional journalist as you had earlier in this thread with your 'pretentious bs' remark, but some might argue that, in 2010, asking Sylvian about possibly collaborating with Bowie and Ferry or if he listens to their music nowadays could be looked upon as somewhat frivolous. It would be something a long time fan would ask indeed, and a question along those lines usually receives a terse response for a reason. I recall how Sylvian had also been asked numerous times throughout the 80s and 90s if he had any plans to collaborate with Eno. Sylvian was always polite in his response back then as well.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:47 am

baht habit wrote:I detected much enthusiasm from Sylvian in so many of the interviews that have been conducted in the past year or so - Wire, Mojo, Bomb, the 2 Wall Street Journal features and these latest ones that have popped up. When he is fortunate enough to be interviewed by interested parties, then he gets to delve deep into the methods, motives and process behind his music. When the questions are complex and multifaceted, then Sylvian feels obligated to expand even more on his thoughts and go deeper. I sense great enthusiasm from him as he is given the privilege to express himself.

I completely agree.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 am

completely agree as well. Baht OTM like so many times before. :smt004
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 am

Why did I think he's sad? It's just... he seems to keep looking for happiness, like he can't find it, and making "David Sylvian die" once again... Isn't he happy with how he is that he feels that this or that persona has to "die"? Doesn't sound like he's too happy with himself... Maybe it was just my impression, but that's the general idea that I got from reading it.

And yeah, I read the Sweddish interview and I liked it better. Could understand it better as well :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:28 am

sisterlondon wrote:Why did I think he's sad? It's just... he seems to keep looking for happiness, like he can't find it, and making "David Sylvian die" once again... Isn't he happy with how he is that he feels that this or that persona has to "die"? Doesn't sound like he's too happy with himself... Maybe it was just my impression, but that's the general idea that I got from reading it.

And yeah, I read the Sweddish interview and I liked it better. Could understand it better as well :lol:

Sylvian took to the road for The World Is Everything tour in 2007 not only to promote some of the recent material he had released but more importantly with the express purpose of performing many of the older songs one final time, for he no longer feels any connection with the mindset which he held when he wrote those songs. I got the gist from his words within this interview that when he was on the stage performing those songs from the 80s era and seeing the reaction from the fans who were still so very connected to them, Sylvian had the clear realization that he was essentially going through the motions and that he no longer was that interested in being the performer that so many of these fans wish he would remain to be. So in his unique way, rather than simply state that he is moving away from those familiar sounds, he proclaimed that the 'Sylvian Persona' that could be usually expected from him is "dead". I personally think this an unnecessary proclamation, but it must serve as some freeing approach for him. He would certainly not be sad from this. He would probably be sad if he felt obligated to adhere strictly to his past archetypes.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Whatever Bat,

It seems like pretentious bs to me. I wasn't the only one either. Yes, I do expect the music I listen to, to be uplifting and fun. It doesn't always have to be that way but as a general rule. Life to short to be bummed out all of the time. Listening/Creating dower music all of the time is not good for anyone. Projecting... like I said whatever. I call em like I see em. Its time for dS to stick his head out in the sunshine for awhile. Enough of this wrist slit wankery.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:13 pm

ScottR wrote:Whatever Bat,

It seems like pretentious bs to me. I wasn't the only one either. Yes, I do expect the music I listen to, to be uplifting and fun. It doesn't always have to be that way but as a general rule. Life to short to be bummed out all of the time. Listening/Creating dower music all of the time is not good for anyone. Projecting... like I said whatever. I call em like I see em. Its time for dS to stick his head out in the sunshine for awhile. Enough of this wrist slit wankery.

"Whatever"??? :-)
That is your reply? Not only once, but twice? It is hard enough to have a discussion with someone who is so rigidly confident that their perceptions and opinions are the only correct ones, but now you're deciding to pull out the debating strategy of the typical teenager?
As for your snarky 'wrist slit wankery' remark...though I always admire a well placed dosage of alliteration, it hardly seems appropriate to describe Sylvian's recent work. Yes indeed, he has been taking on much more serious topics within his lyrics, such as loss of faith, terrorism, the abuse of recreational drugs, public apathy towards what surrounds them, etc. All of this seems relevant to the events of the modern age, and I surely wouldn't want him to dress his lyrics up in goofy feel good music. It just wouldn't fit.
It is unfortunate that you find this approach to be "dower music" -- did you actually mean downer or dour? Though I can understand how some could feel that way if they demand that music correspond in some way to how they want it to set their mood. Yet some of us are intrigued by this alternate approach to art, since we don't require that all art has to always have the very same effect on us. So please do not be concerned, for not all of us have been bummed out by this music at all. To the best of my knowledge, none of us have slit any wrists of late. :-)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby opiate on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:45 pm

ScottR wrote:I guess its the general tone of the discussion. He doesn't seem to be enthusiastic about anything these days. Some of this could be attributed to the questions that were asked.

Yeah, I think it was the choice of journalist this time around. I agree he didn't come off as well as other interviews. What he had to say, content wise, was obviously interesting but the tone and pace didn't read well.

I do think the Swedish interview is a lot more genuine. Those questions are more along the lines of what a long time fan would ask. I particularly like the question about Bowie & Roxy although I think some of it was lost in translation. Its a lot more fun to read thats for sure.

I agree this was very much a more engaging read. Shame about the same references always popping up from the past, but I guess that's part and parcel of dealing with the nature of the beast :roll: . One of which he accepts as a trade off despite preferring not to go over old ground. Besides, he is the one that chooses each interviewer so he has a large degree of control over this.

In regards to his present direction, I think it was probably always a foregone conclusion that Sylvian was bound to plumb the depths of full on avant garde at some point. He's always followed his nose to whatever interests him (or what is going on in his life) at any given point and explored that. He's got himself in an enviable place where he can afford to do what he likes outwith pressures of financial/record company/etc. As an artist pursuing a creative outlet, this is no bad thing and necessary to grow and learn new things. I'm certain, as has happened with every musical direction he has took, that it will take further twists and turns and he will continue to go on to the next thing. In the future this is possibly with a more accessible listening experience that will appeal to a greater number of people. For the moment, he is (indulgently) pleasing himself.

Manafon is a serious piece of work, it's certainly worthy of the acclaim it's received. It's a stark contrast to the largely embellished, beautiful and carefully laid compositions of the last decade of which what he has created a career out of. It's a fair point that many fans still love this work, and there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't render it obsolete though just because his attention is now currently drawn to other styles. It is obvious though that he is largely influenced by his state of mind & recent experiences in his introspection in which to draw from. I can see why this is perceived in a sombre light although I'm certain this isn't a perpetual state.

He's never been a crowd pleaser, and I think he rather enjoys that fact. 8)
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ScottR on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:07 pm

yeah... whatever Bat.

"some of us are intrigued by this alternate approach to art"

Most of us aren't. We're about as enthused as he is. He should probably consider bagging it at this stage of the game but no, it sounds like "man-a-blemish" the "instrumental" is up next. That should keep the few of you's happy. Have fun with that.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stephenf on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Do you still wear hairspray ScottR? :-D
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ScottR on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 pm

...and what really bugs me is it will take him another 5 years to put out an album that no one wants to hear. How can it possibly take that long to make a free-form improv INSTRUMENTAL record? - LOL - By then Samadhi will be probably be dust. Its a good thing he has all those Japan royalties coming in.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby natsume on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:07 am

Man, Scott is fxcking PISSED OFF!
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Interviews