Witness & Participant - New Interview Up at Samadhisound

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 29, 2010 11:38 am

Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Witness & Participant - New Interview Up at Samadhisound

Postby Simonp on Mon May 31, 2010 6:12 am

Great interview this, really enjoyed it. Couple of really interesting points too especially the fact that he hasn't ruled out performing Manafon in a live setting although given the logisitics and cost, sponsorship would be necessary...Diet Coke presents, in concert, David Sylvian..lol I certainly hope to see Sylvian in a live setting once more.

Also interesting to read that David had a moment following the 2007 tour where he felt that "David Sylvian was dead". Given the fact that he has been trying for years to get rid of this personna, it finally seems that he longer considers himself David Sylvian, the entertainer?

Wonder what direction David will take now? I'm glad he's still producing music. HE's one of the few artists today still wanting to better himself and his recording output.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:44 am

What a load of pretentious bullsh*t. I don't know who is worse the the interviewer or David. At any rate it sounds like more of the same mundane man-a-blemish for now. It may finally be time for me to move on.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:58 am

Interesting that those who say time to move on never actually do. Its almost as if they hang around just to criticise and slag off.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tracycowell on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:33 pm

ScottR wrote:What a load of pretentious bullsh*t. I don't know who is worse the the interviewer or David. At any rate it sounds like more of the same mundane man-a-blemish for now. It may finally be time for me to move on.
It was rather pretentious I have to agree, I wonder if he has normal conversations about normal things without this constant analysis... :?
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Postby karnsculpture on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:58 pm

I believe most of David's recent interviews have been completed by email, which is why I think some of the responses are more thought through than would usually be possible in a natural conversation.

If "David Sylvian" the performer and artist is dead, who is David now?
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi Simon,

Maybe in some respects I have already moved on. I never did buy Manafon. I know plenty of others who passed on it as well. I cant believe there are enough free improv fans out there to keep this ship afloat. IMO, just silly ego-ing by him and his following.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 pm

oof I tried to read this and fell asleep
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 pm

ScottR wrote:IMO, just silly ego-ing by him and his following.

Oh yes, feel ever so free to also denigrate 'his following' who just so happen to have no problem with how Sylvian choses to express himself artistically and verbally as he matures. We have been made quite aware that you have some major problem with Manafon and that is reasonable since we all listen to music with different ears and dispositions. Yet I can't quite comprehend how you so stridently believe that since you are not fond of this particular music, then obviously everyone else must share those same sensibilities. And you are so quick to convey the notion that anyone who does happen to find interest in this would surely have to be a pretentious type of person.
The pretentious charge always seems to amuse me, since it may just so happen to illuminate the intolerance level or even the actual intelligence level of the one who feels so confident in making such a charge. It seems to make the accuser more comfortable to just wave something off as pretentious when there may very well be the possibility that the content which they consider pompous or pretentious is simply eluding their grasp of comprehension. It may be so, it may not be so. This is just a thought that has crossed my mind at certain times.
Last edited by baht habit on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 pm

In my opinion the interview was typical pseuds corner mumbo. I scanned it and waited for words to jump out. The only interesting bit was saying Sylvian was dead. I get that. (But if he is dead then who are we listening to?) I do like a few tracks on Manafon. Scott R can have his opinion and I see his point of view. It is a bloody hard record to fall in love with, but I like it more than hate it. The intellectual verbiage is a problem in email interviews because he thinks it out too much. Maybe if he thought with his gut rather than his brain more then we'd have a really different record.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:32 am

karnsculpture wrote:
If "David Sylvian" the performer and artist is dead, who is David now?

David Batt again? I recall David saying that he had considered changing his name, to be forever rid of the personna David Sylvian.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:05 am

Tim91 wrote:oof I tried to read this and fell asleep

i dont think david meant david sylvian is dead i think he meant his personna meaning at the end of the tour he was physcically as meantly drained just finished like a nervous breakdown thing he just put in nicer words.... :smt006 :smt006

i had this feeling oft and my personna changes frequently ie ive died frequently and been reborn new this is is not pretentious just survival....

i found the interview ok .....yes it can be a bit cold when one writes per email.....
neonico

Postby Simonp on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 am

It's amazing to see that this far into Sylvian's career he still manages to divide the "fans". Surely people should know what to expect from his these days? I actually enjoy his considered responses to the interviewers questions. I also find it quite interesting to see people are still hanging around hoping for Sylvian to release another SOTB. It ain't going to happen folks. It seems to me that Sylvian has finally found himself musically and the days of the "pretty" music are long gone.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:33 am

David always had a lot of words...
Speaking for myself, I find it hard to listen to anything pre-Blemish, excepting maybe The First Day and some of his instrumental work - since Manafon.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Simon,

I'm not looking for anything "bee" like. I would settle for a second Nine Horses release. As I think Missouri had stated, David is spending to much time in his head, I want more from the heart. Maybe he is dead. His stuff is certainly becoming less relevant as time goes on. Its just very disappointing to see him withdraw into oblivion. Out with a whimper, or twang in this case.

<queue Bat's personal retort here>
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Interviews