Witness & Participant - New Interview Up at Samadhisound

David's solo career interviews

Re: Witness & Participant - New Interview Up at Samadhisound

Postby Adrian on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:31 am

sigh.
Seriously. Sigh.
@ScottR. Move on if you feel like moving on. Why waste time on David's music when he so clearly wishes to not make it worth your while? All of you whiners (since judging from your post there are so many of you and only a few of us) are seriously starting to annoy me.
Do not presume to know how I listen to what music I listen to, nor how it makes me feel. This past year and a half has made me an extremely happy bunny, because I finally found (or more precisely, rediscovered) the music that I most like to hear, and on top of that David has finally made the album that I've always anticipated from him for a good many years. I am tired of trying to explain my musical tastes, nor am I willing to apologise for them any longer.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:50 am

Adrian, you calling me whiner too? :roll:

I think everyone is too defensive here. Some people love Manafon, some don't. I think we are all free to say our opinions, ok?
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:25 am

Sisterlondon...Adrian is just making a point that ScottR seems to be speaking on behalf of all Sylvian fans when he assumes "...it will take him another 5 years to put out an album that no one wants to hear. How can it possibly take that long to make a free-form improv INSTRUMENTAL record? " There is a difference between voicing an opinion about something and making assumptions on other peoples musical tastes.

I think that some people just have to accept that this is the musical path that Sylvian has chosen to go down. Surely we must all know him by down and realise that he isnt out to please the masses with his music? The days of Forbidden Colours are long behind him.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 am

@sisterlondon: I was addressing ScottR. only, who judging from his post speaks (or thinks he does) for a lot of people; and I bet he wishes he could speak for everyone and dictate what we, the sad people that like David's current music, should listen to and like to hear. So far that is the feel I get from his postings - so I hope he proves me wrong in the future.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Stephenf wrote:Do you still wear hairspray ScottR? :-D

haha apparently...it's all going to his head & making him crazy :smt005
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ScottR on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Tim... it looks like your the one thats living in the past. your myspace -

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =347861328

LOL
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:46 pm

ScottR wrote:Tim... it looks like your the one thats living in the past. your myspace -

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =347861328

LOL

well that is a Japan myspace page...so it makes sense that most of its contents is pre-1983....your point?
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ScottR on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:08 pm

...follow the thread buddy.

didn't you comment on the hairspray joke. do you get it? ;)
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:36 pm

ScottR wrote:...follow the thread buddy.

didn't you comment on the hairspray joke. do you get it? ;)

I understand
I like most everyone else here discovered David Sylvian's solo work after listening to Japan, that’s when I created the JAPAN myspace page. I enjoy Japan's music still, and yes I'm guilty of going through a phase when I bleached my hair (and used hairspray for that matter), but I’ve grown, changed and have learned to appreciate David's more recent output. Manafon is not one of my top played albums but I can still appreciate it and I completely respect David Sylvian's artistic pursuits into whatever territory he chooses.
so calm yourself ScottR
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

ScottR wrote:yeah... whatever Bat.

"some of us are intrigued by this alternate approach to art"

Most of us aren't. We're about as enthused as he is. He should probably consider bagging it at this stage of the game but no, it sounds like "man-a-blemish" the "instrumental" is up next. That should keep the few of you's happy. Have fun with that.

I don't know about the rest of the members here, but I can't help but grin whenever Scott bares his monumental conceit and boldly proclaims that Sylvian should 'consider bagging it' just because he doesn't personally approve of where Sylvian is heading artistically.
And what to expect next from Sylvian surely isn't how Scott frames it. For the sake of accuracy, Sylvian is working with composer/orchestrator/arranger Dai Fujikura on material with both a string quartet and a larger ensemble. Since Fujikura is so involved, it will most likely involve music that is written prior to performance, not improvised as how the music which formed the basis of Manafon was conceived. As most of you who are truly interested probably already know, we are going to have a taste of their work on the Sleepwalkers in the form of the track Five Lines. Previously, we could get an idea of Fujikura's output from his additional material to Random Acts Of Senseless Violence or we could simply check out samples of his own compositions on his website.
Fujikura had worked with Sylvian, John Butcher and Eddie Prevost on the instrumental music of When We Return You Won't Recognise Us, but it now seems that piece is being put on the back burner in order to elaborate on the material already created. So it is sort of a situation like that of Steel Cathedrals, in that they plan on reworking and embellishing the piece and then seeing where that leads.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Gee Golly Whiz Bat...when you put it that way it sounds so exciting. I can hardly wait.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 pm

baht habit wrote:

Sylvian is working with composer/orchestrator/arranger Dai Fujikura on material with both a string quartet and a larger ensemble. Since Fujikura is so involved, it will most likely involve music that is written prior to performance, not improvised as how the music which formed the basis of Manafon was conceived. As most of you who are truly interested probably already know, we are going to have a taste of their work on the Sleepwalkers in the form of the track Five Lines. Previously, we could get an idea of Fujikura's output from his additional material to Random Acts Of Senseless Violence or we could simply check out samples of his own compositions on his website.
Fujikura had worked with Sylvian, John Butcher and Eddie Prevost on the instrumental music of When We Return You Won't Recognise Us, but it now seems that piece is being put on the back burner in order to elaborate on the material already created. So it is sort of a situation like that of Steel Cathedrals, in that they plan on reworking and embellishing the piece and then seeing where that leads.

I'm very excited to hear this news :-D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:27 am

Oh i forgot to say thanks for the great interview Natalia ....that you are a long time fan of mr Sylvian and waited a long time for that interview i think its wonderful that you got a chance to mail interview....David.... :smt006 :smt006

whish you all the best.... :-D :-D
neonico

Postby Stephenf on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

ScottR is well entitled to his say, the freedom of speech is precious and he is only voicing a subjective opinion on the recent output of Mr DS. Suffice to say that underneath it all i don't think that Master Scott will be deserting the cause anytime soon as the frustration he feels just underlines how much he cares.
Keep the faith buddy! :D
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Interviews