Sylvian - Let's start with the word

David's solo career interviews

Re: Sylvian - Let's start with the word

Postby Stoobie on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Mark Hollis is a near-neighbour and I am dying to ask him if he's heard it, should I get the chance. I think Manafon is a darker twin of Laughing Stock or Hollis's solo album and more than deserves to be regarded as an equal of those records.[/quote]

If Mark Hollis is a near - neighbour ask him when he plans a follow up album ! its been too long

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Sylvie wrote:have to disagree on that one. i am sure Manafon is a great record, just can't find myself getting into the mood of listening to it a lot. but equal to MH's solo album? no. no. no.

Hmm. Maybe you're right. The Hollis albums are much more obviously beautiful. Thinking about it, Hollis's solo album is the polar opposite of Manafon in that every note was composed and notated prior to recording.

But those albums still seem related to Manafon in some strange way...

And Stoobie - a friend of mine approached Mark in a shop some months back - he said that he still writes music, so you never know...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 pm

If Mark would return all would be right in the world again. :-) While I do like some tracks on Manofon and I see the suggested connection ie minimalism...etc...for me, Manofon is missing the key ingredient that made Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock and Hollis' solo so great... beauty. I like the sounds esp Emily Dickinson, Small Metal Gods, and Appalachia...the other tracks leave me cold.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 am

Blemished wrote:
But those albums still seem related to Manafon in some strange way...

And Stoobie - a friend of mine approached Mark in a shop some months back - he said that he still writes music, so you never know...

related i can agree on.

but those are great news! he still writes music! and he is shopping! love it. i want to ask which shop, but i have a tiny tiny Mark Hollis stalker in me. so i am better off not knowing. :) bless his heart.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stoobie on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm

And Stoobie - a friend of mine approached Mark in a shop some months back - he said that he still writes music, so you never know...[/quote]

Any chance of you making him a cherry pie or something and dropping past, and as he goes into the Kitchen grab the music and release us of our frustrations !
Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Just reviving an old thread to give an update about Mr Hollis:

He's created some new music that's been used for a TV series; this article explains - the youtube link that follows is the direct link to the snippet..

http://pitchfork.com/news/47680-talk-talks-mark-hollis-resurfaces-with-new-music-for-the-kelsey-grammer-tv-show-boss/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dQKxVeLUco

Also, I just walked past his house and he had a couple of very nice guitars out - be nice to think that he is actively working on something new over and above the film score mentioned in the article. Well overdue...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Please let it be true... ;-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Interviews