Sound on Sound mentioning Wonderful World

David and Steve's last project together, together with Bernd Friedmann

Sound on Sound mentioning Wonderful World

Postby ob8 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:42 pm

Just come across this article about David's vocals on Wonderful World.

It's a lot of tech talk btw !

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/a ... 1108_4.htm
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sound on Sound mentioning Wonderful World

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:11 pm

I read this.. and then re-read this several times... and realized there is an entirely different language (world) out there!

I can talk for hours about ROI, WACC, TP, Inventory turns, Depreciation, Productivity and discuss in detail all three sides of the balance sheet... but this makes me really how different some of us are.

To me, Snow Borne Sorrow just sounds out of this world... I don`t need (nor understand) the Dentist View of the actual record! I instinctively grasp the meaning and the emotion of the music (or think I do!)

Still... awesome someone can explain what I hear in language I do not understand!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 am

Right Sven I try to do my best to give you a little insight.

The guy who posted the question of replicating the way Davids vocal come across on Wonderful World wrongly assumed that it was achieved through a method called "double tracking". This is when the vocal is recorded twice and in this case the guy who asked the question panned one vocal to the left and one to the right hoping to get a more expansive sound on his vocals.

The SOS contributor rebukes this idea and says that it's just one vocal on this song with no double tracking. He then goes into the type of effects that he believes are used on the vocals. It's better to record most if not all instruments (including voice) dry and then add the effects onto them later.

The track is recorded in stereo so there are two channels. They have had a delay reverb put on them. Between 5 milliseconds and 20 milliseconds. Then one channel is very fractionally pitched shifted up and the other down by the same amount.The two channels then sit on the edges of the stereo mix. Unlike the method of just panning which the guy had unsuccessfully tried with.

Then there is another reverb added, but so slightly that it's very hard to detect.

If your are interested I have put in a link to a Sound on Sound article. It hopefully will give you a better idea of how the process evolves and some pointers to improve a recording.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul99/a ... 20tips.htm
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks ob8! Your "version" makes a lot more sense to me!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Nine Horses