Money For ANYONE? ANYONE? ANYONE ELSE? :)

David and Steve's last project together, together with Bernd Friedmann

Money For ANYONE? ANYONE? ANYONE ELSE? :)

Postby baht habit on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:53 pm

I admit that I really expected a larger amount of discussion regarding Nine Horses' Money For All ep. Is there truly such a great indifference towards it?
There seems to be more interest in the past around here. Is this observation incorrect on my part?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Money For ANYONE? ANYONE? ANYONE ELSE? :)

Postby John Trevethan on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:15 pm

baht habit wrote:I admit that I really expected a larger amount of discussion regarding Nine Horses' Money For All ep. Is there truly such a great indifference towards it?
There seems to be more interest in the past around here. Is this observation incorrect on my part?

I really like Money For All (then again I think I'm in the minority as I'm someone who loves the Burnt Friedman remixes).

However, I think the fact that Nine Horses encompasses only a few releases (and no tour as yet) as compared to David Sylvian's 30 year career including all of the releases from Japan, his solo efforts and various collaborations (plus several tours) gives people more to talk about.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:11 pm

I really like the new EP.

I hear Money For All as a distant cousin of Pop Song.

The remixes all bring something new to the originals as well.

Not that I'm likely to be at all biased, being a lifelong Sylvian fan. ;-)
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby untitled on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:15 pm

I wonder if it’s because the album has so many re-mixes? Either people are just not as inspired by material that isn’t new or like myself, they have been trying to avoid a knee-jerk reaction to something – just because it sounds different to the original.

For my part – I love the new stuff, especially Birds Singing For Their Lives. As for the remixes….I think some are more successful than others. I tried, but I really don’t like the versions of The Banality of Evil or Serotonin. The former sounds like it has been remixed by Jethro Tull and the later seems to have the life sucked out of it quite successfully and should be re-titled Sedative.

On the whole though, very happy. Particularly nice to see David get a bit of a groove on!
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Crickett on Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Yes "Birds Singing For Their Lives" is definitely a highlight for me. Stina's Voice creates something beautiful with the piano... especially that last bit... the outro I guess. Plus I really dig the "The Banality of Evil" and "Wonderful World" remixes I think Burnt shaped them into a new perspective successfully..... Yet what was done to "Serotonin" was close to sacreligous, I was not a fan at all, Yes Untitled Sedative Mix should have been dubbed that remix.......

As for "Get the Hell Out" and "Money For All" It would have been nice to have a strong melodic bass line in both tracks given the feel..... Is Dave ever going to work with Mick again or not? I know it's 9Horses but Mick could really liven up the next album with a few apperances just my opinion.... Okay I'll stopp plugging Mick...... but who doesn't agree....
I do like what Keith Lowe played but come on get Mick at least back in the sonic playground for a short recess........
Crickett
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:21 pm

I have just gotten the cd.... I'm letting it grow on me. I like the funky nature of the new releases.

I very much like the burnt friedmann remixes...

I want more time to let the music seep in though before making a more expressive response.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Krishna-Lila on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:47 am

There is an interesting review of the money for all EP in the Wire magazine. while not totally dismissive it does raise questions about the limits of file sharing/minimum human contact in the recording process.
Other reviews in Uncut, Word and Record Collecter are good but dont really say very much.
As for my opinion, for what its worth; I think money for all is a splendid track. I think the political nature of the lyric is much better than previous attempts on Transit or World Citizen.
I think the second track is a really interesting take on what is becoming a 9horses motif where fuzzy, grungy guitars and electronica give way to more reflective passages. it reminds me of that moment of silence when a plane finally takes off after shuddering down a run way. or, perhaps a break in the clouds that allows for some sun, during awful weather (anyone in London today will be hoping for such moments).
'deconstruction is the possibility of justice' j. derrida
Krishna-Lila
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:05 am

I like the title track lots, better than Get the Hell out, but I like that second one too. The GTHO lyrics are really interesting and didn't expect that song to be about that when I first heard the title!

I just wish that Nine Horses worked at a faster pace and that they released a whole new album already! I also wish they toured. We'll see...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:07 am

sisterlondon wrote:I also wish they toured. We'll see...

Oh GOD YES!! I totally agree with you here!

... But you know what they say, good things come to those who wait!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:49 pm

Silver Moon wrote:
... But you know what they say, good things come to those who wait!

So I guess that then I deserve Steve playing near me soon FOR REAL! :lol:

Kidding, I wish I could say that I could go to see them play to the UK if they toured. With my luck probably they would end touring in a date that I can get off at work. But one can hope!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Nine Horses