New Material to be Released in November

David and Steve's last project together, together with Bernd Friedmann

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:17 am

Yup!!
Ok, thanks a lot fo the info. I was off yesterday so I miss all this discussion :wink:

First I thought that maybe that new release would be something "smaller" than an album which later has been confirmed.Thank you.
And , well, we don't have any news about Sylvian being the lead singer or not in the new material ,so it's better not to anticipate facts.
In the extreme case that he won't , I think I'll be interested in it as long as it mantains the same quality , but I don't think he's leaving the project at all.

By the way, a solo album by Steve is always a good new!!!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:43 pm

27.08.06: Nine Horses 'Money For All' EP - November release
November will see the release of an extended play cd from David Sylvian, Steve Jansen, and Burnt Friedman's band 'Nine Horses'. It will feature two new tracks, 'Money For All' (the title of the ep), co-written by David and Burnt and 'Get the H*ll Out' by Steve and David. The ep will also feature remixes and interpretations by Burnt of 3 tracks from the Nine Horses album 'Snow Borne Sorrow' (The Banality Of Evil, Wonderful World, and Serotonin) and alternative versions of the two new tracks plus the Japanese only released bonus track 'Birds Sing For Their Lives' with Stina Nordenstam.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:39 pm

wow this is such good news. I love this collaboration and would definately love to see more of it happening. The music is so rich and eclectic... i love it!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:44 pm

I'll admit that I am very intrigued with the song title "Get The H*ll Out". It seems so direct and contrary to the usual artfulness of Sylvian's words. I've noticed that more and more, the blatant influence of American culture (or lack of culture, perhaps?) has seeped into Sylvian's lyrics.
Though I always seem to appreciate nearly everything that Sylvian releases, I do hope that this song and "Money For All" both pack a little more punch in sound than what was mostly included on the full length Nine Horses release. I know that I am probably in the minority here with this line of thinking, but I enjoy Sylvian's music even more when he contrasts his relatively relaxed and gentle tone with songs of a more aggressive nature.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:16 pm

baht habit wrote:I know that I am probably in the minority here with this line of thinking, but I enjoy Sylvian's music even more when he contrasts his relatively relaxed and gentle tone with songs of a more aggressive nature.

Wow, you thought "Snow Borne Sorrow" WASN'T aggressive? That's interesting.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:34 pm

baht habit wrote:It seems so direct and contrary to the usual artfulness of Sylvian's words. I've noticed that more and more, the blatant influence of American culture (or lack of culture, perhaps?) has seeped into Sylvian's lyrics.
His choice, isn't it?

I've always found it odd, this perception of David as strolling around thinking deep thoughts and always being profound. Very weird, to me. He's been very skillful in building that illusion, but that's what I think it is, an illusion. I think his lyrics reflect that side of his nature at the time of writing, what he's feeling and thinking then, and what he's been reading, watching or listening to at the time also have an influence. But that's only part of who he is, there's the everyday Sylvian that very few people know. As he said himself around the time E&N was released, he enjoys doing jobs around the house and getting his hands on things, except he won't mess with the septic tank. Not very arty or cultured, but it's rather normal, but I don't think he'd write a song about it. Or the fact that he bathes, shaves, uses the bathroom, fills his car with petrol and buys underwear. It's all mundane, the things that everyone does.

Any good artist (of any kind) wants to connect with an audience. David does that through the feelings he expresses in his songs. If the emotions and thoughts he has are bitter or sad, perhaps he feels better able to express them in his lyrics in a more direct manner rather than prettying them up.

Just a thought.

Anyway, I rambled, sorry about that. David's lyrics and style have changed but I don't think it has much to do with living in the States, if anything. I think this evolution started when he broke up with Yuka and went into therapy. Seems there was some conscious effort to be more honest and drop the remaining pretenses. I think that's noticeable in "Rain Tree Crow" and it's continued on. Marrying, having children and finding his guru contributed enormously. As a result of all this, I think he's become very naked in his writing, allowing a lot of vulnerability to show. I think that's a sign of spiritual and emotinal maturity. It's probably not a comfortable thing artistically, to expose yourself like that. But in that sense, I think more of the real David is in the music. I happen to like that.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:25 pm

baht habit wrote:I'll admit that I am very intrigued with the song title "Get The H*ll Out".

It could mean several things. For one, just the literal statement, telling another person to "Get The H*ll Out." It could also refer to purging inner demons. Think of "Wonderful World" for example, a very innocuous title, rather boring. Yet the world described in the song is anything but wonderful.

It'll be interesting to find out the full lyrics.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Yes... I highly look forward to hearing all of the new material.

November isn't too far :-D

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby baht habit on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:17 pm

Come to think of it, perhaps "Get The H*ll Out" could be some statement surrounding the presence of foreign countries in the Middle East. Blood for Oil, is it really worth it? If not, then "Get The H*ll Out".
And I can't really describe Snow Borne Sorrow as musically aggressive, when the dynamics are as evened out as they are. When a relatively tame track like Darkest Birds is considered to be the heaviest track on the disc, then one should be able to tell that the nature of the release is far from aggressive. It basically goes down smooth musically. Again, I know that I will always remain in the minority for the high regard I hold for The First Day, and I will always welcome that sort of aggression to contrast the typical beauty of Sylvian's sound. And that is what I was referring to.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:33 pm

baht habit wrote:Come to think of it, perhaps "Get The H*ll Out" could be some statement surrounding the presence of foreign countries in the Middle East.

That's a good possibility.

I don't necessarily equate aggression with heaviness, musically. I think that type of aggression can be shown in subtle ways. Many verbal attacks are, you sometimes discover them only after reading between the lines or in a song, a closer look at the lyrics.

As far as The First Day goes, I think it was one of David's better musical moments. I think working with Fripp was a quite a challenge for David, in finding a way to blend with Fripp and not get buried by him. In a way, that reminds me of Bailey's work on blemish. It added a harsh and discordant edge to something that could otherwise have come across as placid in delivery. It went with the lyrics for me, in that sense.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:51 pm

I think you are both right in what you say. Both albums are wonderful in their own right, and are very different, one reason being working with different artists, different phases of life, etc. Fripp and Sylvian respected and admired each other, so it was never their individual intentions to outshine the other so to speak, plus in the process brought something new to each other. Same with Nine Horses, of course it is always good when David and Steve are together, which luckily has been very often, and what they have done with others over the years is amazing.........as I am sure this new EP will be.

I understand what each of you are trying to say, and feel it is all accurate in it's own sense.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:44 pm

Get the h*ll out could also be a reference to ingrid and her partner(?) living in his old house. i echo the thought about the aggresive stuff; the damage/first day era was brilliant. loved that. also love the more subtle stuff. and yeah, i agree that david has become a lot more honest in his writing; for me, blemish was unbelievably naked. didn't think snow borne was that aggresive though; depends if you're talking arrangement, lyrical content or intent I suppose.
hmm..time for a cup of tea...
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:38 pm

I think you have to look at it from the perspective that this is a band, that Steve and Burnt have a lot of input as to how things turn out.

I'd love to see David get down and dirty on his next solo album, just let something rip out of him that way, primal scream time. Hard to imagine that, lol! But you never know...
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:42 pm

heartofdavid wrote:I'd love to see David get down and dirty on his next solo album, just let something rip out of him that way, primal scream time. Hard to imagine that, lol! But you never know...

That's great heart! I couldn't picture him screaming in the mic!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:59 pm

He has to have that side to him somewhere, don't you think? This is the guy who sang "Obscure Alternatives", moaning and shouting all over the place. Deep inside, that boy might still be lurking! LOL!

I think he probably says something stronger than "Owie!" when he stub his toe or cuts himself...ah, getting carried away with my imagination, lol.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Nine Horses