I love this project!

David and Steve's last project together, together with Bernd Friedmann

I love this project!

Postby John Trevethan on Tue May 09, 2006 10:06 am

Major kudos to Nine Horses - I think it's David's best work in years... possibly his best work ever. It's currently inching ahead of Secrets Of The Beehive as my favorite Sylvian solo work. I really like how the lyrics have become less abstract and very personal. Plus having Steve Jansen "back in the mix" is absolutely refreshing!

Hopefully this group will stay together for more releases.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Tue May 09, 2006 10:05 pm

A very good album, but I really don't like some of the production (or mastering). The levels are way over the top on the chorus of Darkest Birds. Put me in mind of something I read about CDs in general having higher levels than a few years ago.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

nine horse

Postby onlyvinyl on Wed May 10, 2006 3:29 am

my dreams come true. ...
first :
david sylvian in duet with blonde redhead on messenger (quite better than album version !!) and now stina nordenstam featuring on nine horse ...! what else ??? that enough for make me happy !!!
(sorry for my english !!!).
onlyvinyl
Noob
Noob

Postby proggrl on Wed May 10, 2006 11:15 am

Yes, it'd be nice for there to be more from this formation. This is a great album. The pure intensity just blows me away. Sylvian's emotional output on this rips me apart, especially since I can relate to it so well. :?

I like music that can leave me in messy pile on the floor for some reason. Call it masochistic if you will, but as my boy Ray says,"I'm a whore for punishment".

Not that listening to this is punishment at all, it's a beautiful record, one which I will never be able to repay Sonic enough for turning me onto it. :wink:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Sun May 14, 2006 8:55 pm

I simply adore this album, it has such a wonderful and indeed accessible emotional centre to it.
The vocals on the title track are just so plaintive it's almost heartbreaking to listen to.
David has a wonderful grasp of the human condition, for in the album one can experience all the
contradictory elements that one goes through in a failing relationship...From bitterness and anger,
to deep sorrow and regret.

I also love the jazzy inflections in Wonderful World, Stina's vocals are a great addition...
...Funny because every time I hear her vocals on this track it reminds me of (call me crazy) "The Girl From Ipanema"!
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu May 18, 2006 11:17 pm

absolutely gorgeous! Love the musical stylings... love the lyrics... and the vocals speak for themselves (pardon the pun).
Now if he would just tour this lp....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:53 pm

I really love Nine Horses! My favorite song would be "Wonderful World" which I think along with "All tomorrows Parties" are the two coolest intro's known to man... I also really like listening to the lyrics and guessing away to what he's singing about.
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sylvian girl on Sat May 20, 2006 8:45 am

I really love the Nine Horses album, it's definitely one of my favourite david projects. The lyrics are wonderful and i find it easier to listen to than Blemish, which was a lovely surprise when i first put it on because i was expecting it to be much the same. My favourite songs on the album would have to be darkest birds (amazing chorus) and serotonin (amazing bass line) and if i may say so....david is looking as beautiful as ever :D
sylvian girl
Regular
Regular

Re: I love this project!

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat May 20, 2006 9:24 am

John Trevethan wrote: I really like how the lyrics have become less abstract and very personal.

I agree with you. The lyrics are wonderful. My favourite songs are Darkest Birds , Atom and cell and The day the earth stole heaven. I think it's a very compatc album , and worth listen from the very first song til the last one.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Ingrids Wheels on Mon May 22, 2006 8:38 am

Im a big music lover in general. Different albums for different moods and all that, but i went to a party last November, and listened to the album for the first time, driving down south to said party. I had to actually pull the car over onto the hard shoulder of the M5 when the lyrics to Snow Borne Sorrow registered.
It was like my major hang-up in life written about word for word. It took me literally days to recover.
Quite stunning.
So We Made It Our Own
This Snow Borne Sorrow
And This Love
Stutters And Splinters
Ingrids Wheels
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 22, 2006 8:54 am

Ingrids Wheels wrote:It was like my major hang-up in life written about word for word. It took me literally days to recover.
Quite stunning.

This is exactly how i felt about the song when i first heard it.... amazing how each of us registers experiences and how one great artist can lock it up in under 10 minutes of music.... gorgeous
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: I love this project!

Postby arieleleven on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:37 pm

John Trevethan wrote:Major kudos to Nine Horses - I think it's David's best work in years... possibly his best work ever. It's currently inching ahead of Secrets Of The Beehive as my favorite Sylvian solo work. I really like how the lyrics have become less abstract and very personal. Plus having Steve Jansen "back in the mix" is absolutely refreshing!

Hopefully this group will stay together for more releases.

I agree. This is one beautiful and amazing piece of work, and I hope there is much more to come from Nine Horses.
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 pm

As do I! I will go out and celebrate on the town if I find out a second album is being released!!

Man, I really am a fanatic, huh? :-D

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sheisnot on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:54 pm

DS has hinted that there might be a second Nine Horses album. Cross your fingers.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:02 pm

Yeah, I have some reasons to believe there may be one too! *Crosses fingers, toes, shoelaces...*

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Next

Return to Nine Horses