Photo Gallery Question

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Photo Gallery Question

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:06 am

Is there a way to delete a photo that has been posted to an album in the gallery? The reason I ask is I wondered what would happen if the owner/photographer of the original ever objected, or if the photo was taken from another website and later it was learned that it was prohibited to post the pic. (I've seen this happen a few times on Duran boards and on a manga board.) That's why I prefer to post only what I've scanned myself from a magazine/book, but I have a lot of pics that I've found and saved which I wouldn't mind sharing but I do have this concern. Am I concerned over nothing? Sorry if I sound really anal or dumb about this. :oops:
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:17 am

Hey Heart! I don't think a user can delete them- But I can delete them for you. You can just PM me and tell me the ones you want taken off. Hopefully, someone else out there can scan these pics and return them!

I worry about that sometimes too, Heart! But I decided, "Eh..." I just hope I don't get in trouble for using a picture from another site. Most of the time I don't even remember where I got it to begin with!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks Silver Moon. I hope that never arises, thought about it though because I've seen that.

Stuff that I've found I rarely recall from where or who or any other details, lol.

I wish I was more adept with scanning/photoshop myself and could get some pictures more presentable...but I'll learn.

I'm trying to finish scanning a fan library 'zine which has some nice pics, when I do I'll put them up all at once, hopefully today or tomorrow.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:22 pm

the law didn't give those sites the right to use them either. The photographer or stock agency that handles the photographer is the only one with specific usage rights to the images. So, all these images we scan from books and magazines are the property of those individuals and can not be reproduced without direct and legal consent.
Bamboo man website can stick their name on all the photos they want but unless they purchased those images legally or have written permission to use them that site has no legal right to them.

Having said all this the problems with the duran websites using images comes mostly from images taken from the denis o regan website... he has only given direct permission to a few individuals to use his images. He is taking legal action against all others. The other issue are the fans that take images at the concerts, meet and greets and other meet ups with duran. They, the fan, have the legal right to ownership of the image...that is why they are copyrighted © to them. I think it is a gray area on when duran actually tries to cash in on the sale of their image.

Also, the watermark symbol covering many images from stock agency sites, like, Getty Images for instance. That isn't just a name letting you know where you got it. That is their protection... it is their © symbol. So if you use that image without paying the agency for it they can take legal action against you.

Anyway, if you have anymore questions on copyright issues let me know. I deal with it all the time as a photographer/artist. I have mostly dealt with it on a US only basis but i can find out international law if you need.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Thanks Gods, it was exactly the situations of personal photographs or those from a photographer/stock agency that I was referring to. I don't have a problem with magazine scans, many of these publications are long out of print and the channels to try and contact who might be able to give permission are so convoluted...anyway so many people scan those items that for them to go after one or a few individuals wouldn't be worth their effort, I don't think.

I think it is rather presumptuous of someone to scan a magazine pic and then claim some sort of right to it, don't get that at all, find it rather funny actually.

I have a few pics I've found that I kind of go "um, er...well" but if someone objects, I'll simply apologize and delete it. But it's nice to see these pics, usually you can't see them any other way because whatever is published in a magazine tends to make the rounds of all the magazines.

I'm babbling. I'll stop. LOL Thank you again. :)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:42 pm

don't get me wrong i'm right there with scanning in images from mags and papers. Even though they may be defunct that doesn't release the rights to them. So now the guilt sets in..... :(
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to *Bulletin Board*