Thought it may be worth mentioning

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Thought it may be worth mentioning

Postby Barbierian on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:19 pm

As something of a technospaz, I suppose I'm years out of date but as I'd never heard it here before, I thought I'd just mention a free music website I've come across called Spotify.com. It's by no means a comprehensive collection of stuff but it most certainly covers a lot of pieces I thought were lost to me ie. Jeff Buckley's Greetings From LA version of Sweet Surrender which is no longer on You Tube. Just think it may be worth checking out, if you haven't already :wink:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Thought it may be worth mentioning

Postby proggrl on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I keep hearing about this "Spotify." Seems a silly name. What is it?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Well it's just a free listening music website. The only catch seems to be that you have to listen to the occasional short ad (it appears that you can pay to skip this but they are so few and far between, why bother?) Anyway, it's supposed to be pretty comprehensive, but I have to say that there is a lot of stuff on there that I can't find but ..... there are also some gems on there too, so as it costs nothing go and have a look ..... :D
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 am

I found out about Spotify through my extensive working in Music Tech and Performance classes... anyway, I think the concept is that we may be moving forward to a time when people use netbooks rather than laptops, and so rather than having music (or indeed Microsoft Office) stored on your computer, you access the Web for everything you want it to do. Am I making sense...?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:59 am

anortherncod wrote:I found out about Spotify through my extensive working in Music Tech and Performance classes... anyway, I think the concept is that we may be moving forward to a time when people use netbooks rather than laptops, and so rather than having music (or indeed Microsoft Office) stored on your computer, you access the Web for everything you want it to do. Am I making sense...?

That does make a lot of sense yes. Whatever the concept though, I'm becoming quite addicted and have to say the sound quality isn't bad either.

Incidentally, I've checked and there's loads of Mario Lanza on there, so Mr Barbieri if you're in the mood for some nostalgia you'll be sorted :-D - just don't forget who put you onto it :wink: :lol:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Drake on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

It's excellent. I've stopped listening to cds and mp3 - always spotify.

Except when I want to hear something from Samadhio, that is...

All Japan stuff is there. And everything by DS on Virgin.

And the sound is great!

This is the future.
Drake
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby proggrl on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Errr.... IDK. Sounds great as a concept parallel to owning an actual product (ie, CD, Vinyl, etc) but I wouldn't want it to replace anything. It would disrupt my collectors mentality and wouldn't be appropriate for all situations of music listening. After all I'm not going to go walk down the beach connected to the internet or sit at my PC/Mac/whatever to listen to music. Tho I've tried connecting my Mac in the LR to the surround sound system, it doesn't quite work and I wouldn't to have to run my mac all the time to listen to music.

Will check the site out tho. :)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:17 pm

proggrl wrote:Errr.... IDK. Sounds great as a concept parallel to owning an actual product (ie, CD, Vinyl, etc) but I wouldn't want it to replace anything. It would disrupt my collectors mentality and wouldn't be appropriate for all situations of music listening. After all I'm not going to go walk down the beach connected to the internet or sit at my PC/Mac/whatever to listen to music.

Totally agree. Plus, do artists get what's due from something like Spotify? I don't think so.
On another thread (I CAN'T STAND THE WAIT) pn posted this:
http://www.dotshop.se/ds/news.php?nid=322
and it makes me angry and sad.
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, because, like Proggrl, I'm a collector and people like us go to bed with their new records, dammit! But the problem is bigger than not touching holding smelling admiring and caressing a cardboard or plastic box anymore: if the artist will have nobody out there to sell his record, nobody to press it (the biggest cd-pressers in the UK are shutting down, FFS!), nobody except a few maniacs to buy it, costs greater than the gain, there'll be NO MORE MUSIC!

And now, brothers and sisters, go in peace and God bless you all.
Father Inky
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to *Bulletin Board*