Should 'Dancin Davie' be replaced or deleted?

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Should Dancin' Davie be deleted?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 24

Should 'Dancin Davie' be replaced or deleted?

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:00 pm

... The animated GIF of David Sylvian dancing under 'Who Is Online' Do you think the animated GIF looks a little 'fangirly' or tacky and should leave? Or do you think it's part of our charm... You decide!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Moonshadow on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:18 am

It's fangirly, but I think it's cute :-D
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Pagoda on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:16 am

hmm...it seems a bit out of place but I think I would have trouble letting it go completely. Dancin' Dave is fun.

So I vote leave it, until something cooler comes along! :-D
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Postby Maria_Wikstrom on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:52 am

No please don't take him away, it's cool!!! :D
Maria_Wikstrom
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bridget on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:58 am

I like it! But I would also like to see a drummin' Steve sometimes! 8)
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Putting aside any possibility of the gif being 'fangirly' or tacky, would this be an image that Sylvian himself would want to still be pushed to the fore so many years later? Granted, this is your awesome website Kera and you should put forward any visual image you choose - and the emphasis on fun is clear....yet fun seems to be something that David is not so inclined to relate with. :)
I know that many members happen to be greater fans of Japan than that of Sylvian's solo work, but I tend to be of the opinion that Sylvian finds it easier to be dismissive of this site due to the strong focus on any image that he had been determined to shed many many moons ago. Case in point: how busy could he have been not to take part with the proposal of an informal questionaire? I do recall that he has obliged other offers. I do not mean to sound rude, but the visual image and tone of this site may not be appealing to the subject it is mainly focused on. Yet if the artist's opinion is no concern in this case, carry on. :)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:46 pm

I second baht's concerns.

But, I am an old man, so please don't pay me too much attention.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:54 pm

No way - Dancin Davey is a staple! Keep him! :D

Or replace him with a stripping Steve. Oooops! Did I say that out loud??? sorry. LOL
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:50 am

baht habit wrote: but I tend to be of the opinion that Sylvian finds it easier to be dismissive of this site due to the strong focus on any image that he had been determined to shed many many moons ago.

Who cares if David is dismissive of this site? It's for us, the "fans". I tend to be of the opinion, as much as I love his work, that David doesnt have a lot of time for his "fans" in general and couldnt give a toss about sites like this.

KEEP DANCING DAVID!
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:28 pm

I love that image
he is a man, just like us.
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 pm

i think silvermoon that you should go for the heart thing. i mean you should trust your own heart t think thats the right way. it is your site and you created it with love and affection.
neonico

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 am

Thanks everyone for your input!

I hadn't really ever thought about getting rid of Dancin' Davie... He was just always there. Until a friend suggested that it is making JapanSylvian look more 'fangirly' than it actually is.

It seems like almost everyone wants to keep Dancin' Davie, and I have to admit, I also want to keep him! So I will keep him unless something cooler comes along. And even so, I will have the new GIF change randomly when you refresh the page. (Like the banners) So he will always be there!

It is true that Dancin' Davie is an image/time that he himself doesn't like to be associated with... But this is the fans site. Our perspective of Japan and the old days is a total 180 from his. Especially for the new fans (like myself) To me, Japans music and image were so wild, foreign, and mysterious how can you want to 'get away' from it? If anything I would want to work my way back from the new stuff. (Or forward depending on where you start.) I just hope Mr. Sylvian knows that the majority of us love his new music just has much as Japan, Secrets of the Beehive, the First day or whatever! And that when I built this website I was just discovering Japan and hadn't yet discovered his solo work yet.

... 'Japan' is as new of a band to some of us, as it was to many in 1978!

So... Dancin' Davie stays! (I had a feeling it would... ;) )

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Rhodesia on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:35 am

It was one of the things that I loved the first time I saw your site....

please Dancin' Dave staaaayyyy!!!!!

:P
"...And love blows through Rhodesia ..."

Rhodesia
Regular
Regular

Postby becky on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Silver Moon, I think this is a fab site and if Sylvian hasn't developed enough spiritually to to have a sense of humor about the Journey of Life to be able to look back fondly on his past and see how it has allowed him to develop into the wonderful talent that he has become, then it's his loss! I love both the superficiality of his beautiful image Japan based fame as it was back in the 80's (and sadly I'm old enough to remember - school crush and all that!!) just as much as I love the difficult seriousness of his latter work. Life should be all embracing - light and dark. If he is too artistically snobby to not be able to be entertained by 'Dancing Dave' then that would be really sad! Dancing Dave should stay. I think Sylvian should be thankful that people like you spend their precious time developing websites to celebrate his work! I love your site - keep up the good work - it makes my day!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to *Bulletin Board*