Japan Club night - 29th November - London

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:27 pm

Details for the event have now been updated at

http://www.nightporter.co.uk/pages/party.html

There are now 5 DJ's - all Japan fans -

DJ Stix (Electric Dreams), Nick Nyro (Pretty In Pink), Jonathan Selzer (music press and longtime Japan fan), Mirai (member of the Japanese/English group Intelligensia and DJ) plus myself (I'll be playing requests and a few of my personal favourites).

Video will also be played - hopefully we'll have Steve's new DVD in time!

Can't wait to see people there. Please post your suggestions of tracks to play here or send me a PM.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Id like to hear:
Quiet Life
Fall in love with me
Halloween
Methods of dance
The art of parties
Still life in mobile homes
The unconventional
Rhodesia
European Son
Gentlemen take polaroids
Alien
Swing
Darkest Birds
Pulling Punches
Bamboo Music
Ride

That about covers it PMSL :lol:
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby Steerpike on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:28 pm

japanfan wrote:Id like to hear:
Quiet Life
Fall in love with me
Halloween
Methods of dance
The art of parties
Still life in mobile homes
The unconventional
Rhodesia
European Son
Gentlemen take polaroids
Alien
Swing
Darkest Birds
Pulling Punches
Bamboo Music
Ride

That about covers it PMSL :lol:

Darn it, you've already picked most of my faves :D

Paul, you said we could have other 80's tracks. I would love to have a boogie to:

ABC - Shoot That Poison Arrow (*sigh* all of us pointing to each other during the "You Did" bit like we did at the school disco)
Human League - Open Your Heart
Aha - You Are The One & The Sun Always Shine On TV
Paul Young - Woman
Simple Minds - Promised You A Miracle
Associates - Party Fears Two
Yazoo - Situation (12 inch)
Ultravox - The Voice
Duran Duran -Hungry Like The Wolf (single version)
Depeche Mode - New Life
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:46 am

Ooooh The Associates - Party Fears Two I love that track so much!

How about:

Bouy - MK/DS
European Son (12")
Life in Tokyo (Don't mind which version - just play it!!!)
Being Boiled - Human League
Maid of Orleans - OMD
Underpass - John Foxx
Are Friends Electric? - Numan

And loads more, but can't think of now ... :D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Laura - thankyou for the email.

This is what I want to play (but might or might not, depending on the mood of the crowd and how I feel at the time):

Japan - Adolescent Sex, Suburban Berlin, Fall In Love With Me, Methods Of Dance, Still Life In Mobile Homes, Life In Tokyo, European Son... I know all the major Japan songs will be played by the DJ's - possibly a couple more than once if people ask for them.

Sylvian (etc) - Pulling Punches (which I can't wait to hear REALLY LOUD), Get The Hell Out (not sure of the message it conveys when I want people to stay, but I love the track), The Boy With The Gun, For The Love Of Life, Godman (not one of my favourites but I've listened to it with a different mindset and it will sound great and get people dancing), Darshan (probably the promo radio edit version), Jean The Birdman

Jansen/Barbieri (etc) - Can't Touch, Even Watch (Akira Mitake w/Rich - very Numan sounding and with Connie Filapello voice as on Boys Like Me - which I'd also like to play), Shining (12"), Sleepers Awake, Cave, Hypnotek, Stay Close, Betsu Ni (the re-recorded version on Takahashi's A Day In The Next Life), Fait Accompli, Mission, Fear Of A Blank Planet (PTree), Deadwing (PTree)... I'm listening to a lot of Barbieri right now

Karn - Tribal Dawn, Dalis Car, Moonlife, The Three Fates, Bestial Cluster, The Jump, After A Fashion - as well as some requests someone has made by email (but I need to make sure I am familiar with the tracks).

Friends/collaborators/other - Sakamoto Adelic Penguins or Photomusik, Akiko Yano Rose Garden, Ippu-Do Sail On, Secret Party, German Road, Sandii Idol Era, Zoot Kook or An Antenna, Depeche Mode Get The Balance Right or Everything Counts, Duran Duran My Antarctica (LOVE that track and it reminds me of Japan somehow), Yazoo Situation, Human League (Japan fans!) You Remind Me Of Gold or Heart Like A Wheel (so many to choose from), Prince Baby I'm A Star, YMO something from Technodelic...

I have about 8 hours of material I want to play to get down to a couple of 40 minute sets - not easy!
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:46 am

Paul, might I be so bold as to suggest a couple of PT tracks that have either been co-written by Richard (My Ashes, for example) or which have more of that trademark Barbieri sound (various songs off the Stupid Dream album)? Or will that c*ck you up...?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:56 am

Problem is, I only have the last two PTree albums; but one of the DJ's is a PTree fan so he should know what to play and have more with him.

Paul
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 am

My Ashes is on the FOABP album. See what you think...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:13 pm

karnsculpture wrote:Laura - thankyou for the email.

This is what I want to play (but might or might not, depending on the mood of the crowd and how I feel at the time):

Japan - Adolescent Sex, Suburban Berlin, Fall In Love With Me, Methods Of Dance, Still Life In Mobile Homes, Life In Tokyo, European Son... I know all the major Japan songs will be played by the DJ's - possibly a couple more than once if people ask for them.

Sylvian (etc) - Pulling Punches (which I can't wait to hear REALLY LOUD), Get The Jersey Out (not sure of the message it conveys when I want people to stay, but I love the track), The Boy With The Gun, For The Love Of Life, Godman (not one of my favourites but I've listened to it with a different mindset and it will sound great and get people dancing), Darshan (probably the promo radio edit version), Jean The Birdman

Jansen/Barbieri (etc) - Can't Touch, Even Watch (Akira Mitake w/Rich - very Numan sounding and with Connie Filapello voice as on Boys Like Me - which I'd also like to play), Shining (12"), Sleepers Awake, Cave, Hypnotek, Stay Close, Betsu Ni (the re-recorded version on Takahashi's A Day In The Next Life), Fait Accompli, Mission, Fear Of A Blank Planet (PTree), Deadwing (PTree)... I'm listening to a lot of Barbieri right now

Karn - Tribal Dawn, Dalis Car, Moonlife, The Three Fates, Bestial Cluster, The Jump, After A Fashion - as well as some requests someone has made by email (but I need to make sure I am familiar with the tracks).

Friends/collaborators/other - Sakamoto Adelic Penguins or Photomusik, Akiko Yano Rose Garden, Ippu-Do Sail On, Secret Party, German Road, Sandii Idol Era, Zoot Kook or An Antenna, Depeche Mode Get The Balance Right or Everything Counts, Duran Duran My Antarctica (LOVE that track and it reminds me of Japan somehow), Yazoo Situation, Human League (Japan fans!) You Remind Me Of Gold or Heart Like A Wheel (so many to choose from), Prince Baby I'm A Star, YMO something from Technodelic...

I have about 8 hours of material I want to play to get down to a couple of 40 minute sets - not easy!

Yay! Stay Close. Can you play that one fairly late when me and two certain ladies on this board will be full of ale and we can do our version of the video?
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Full of ale? Moi? :wink:
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 am

anortherncod wrote:My Ashes is on the FOABP album. See what you think...

I find that less "Barbieri", strangely.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:08 am

Steerpike wrote:Yay! Stay Close. Can you play that one fairly late when me and two certain ladies on this board will be full of ale and we can do our version of the video?

I'm depending on you to keep the place jumping!

I know I listed all those tracks earlier on but on the night I won't follow any plan, I'll decide what to put on depending on the mood of the place. If people go bezerk to a track and want more of the same or similar that's what they'll get! Then I'll drop in a surprise and I love the way it's risky but can work great eg. there might be 3 classic Japan songs in a row then something like "For The Love Of Life" which will either trip people out or have them walking to the door/bar/toilet etc.

I can't wait.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:24 am

karnsculpture wrote:
anortherncod wrote:My Ashes is on the FOABP album. See what you think...

I find that less "Barbieri", strangely.

Hmm... ah well, that's why music is so great, we all have our own interpretations :D

I certainly intend to keep the place jumping :wink:
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 am

Hope you all have a great time ! sorry i can't make it

:cry:

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:09 am

Paul, do you think you might be able to squeeze in The Blue Nile's Tinseltown In The Rain? First time I heard that was at a Bamboo party... :D
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to *Bulletin Board*