ingrids site

Please check here for any updates on the site. Post your own bulletins also.

Re: reply

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:41 pm

japanfan wrote:Not a fan, I dont like her music.

LMAO.... tell us how you really feel! HA HA
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:03 pm

I thought it rather odd that on her bio page, the picture there is an old one of her that clearly displays her wedding band. Interesting choice considering all the ones she could have used.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby japanfan on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:12 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
japanfan wrote:Not a fan, I dont like her music.

LMAO.... tell us how you really feel! HA HA

She isnt as bad as Punkt however!
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:28 pm

I like her poetry, but her constant misuse of the contraction of "it is" REALLY irks me. one of her blog posts on myspace is positively littered with it. GAH!
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:33 pm

HEE HEE... WWEEEE... now i have to go read her blogs... LOL I suck on myspace. I need to take a class on how to use myspace correctly LOL
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:32 am

Talking about Punkt - I like some sections of David's song, but have you noticed that in the ending of phrases, like 'humidity' and 'masonry', he uses an upward inflection? This is an echo of what drama schools in England call 'hyper RP', (recieved pronunication). R.P. is standard English and is basically, the accent used in the triangle between Cambridge, Oxford and London. 'Hyper' R.P. is similar to the old BBC voice or that which the gentry used years ago. Now, it is deeply unfashionable. Check out how Alec Guiness speaks in the original Star Wars and how Ewan McGregor copied his voice in the later films; same upward inflection.

Just an observation.

Oh and I'm not taking ''sides" with regard to Ingrid. I just don't think some of her material stands up to scrutiny; especially in terms of structure and scope. I say that in repsect of someone who actively sells her work. As self expression; fine.

One of the most difficult things I think, being a 'fan' of anyone, is that it is possible to lose objectivity in regard to the material they produce. Having said that, I very nearly threw Blemish out of the window after the 1st listen, (literally), such was my reaction to it. I didn't 'cos I half recognised that there was some value in it; I don't see such value from anything I've heard or read from Ingrid. I don't think it's a case of preference. Just talent. Ok. Some of her photography is good. But, this is just my opinion, (pleeeease don't shout at me); I don't think photography is that hard a craft to master. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can sense photographers everywhere brushing off their baseball bats....
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:01 am

camphorvan wrote:Talking about Punkt - I like some sections of David's song, but have you noticed that in the ending of phrases, like 'humidity' and 'masonry', he uses an upward inflection?

It is also characteristic in certain areas of New England, Boston for example. Interesting you brought that up because I just finished reading a novel by Stephen McCauley set in the Boston area, and a character who was from New York noticed this quirk, commenting that the simplest statements take on the tone of questions.

Could be the result of where he's lived, although David's always had that inflection to some extent.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:07 pm

heartofdavid wrote:Could be the result of where he's lived

I agree. The last time I heard DS interviewed (with a San Francisco radio station, I believe) I was surprised at how "Americanized" his accent had become.
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:55 pm

different type of inflection - the american upward inflection affects words, whereas this inflection affects the end vowel only - what we call a neutral vowel. it's very far from an americanism.

ho hum. cup of tea anyone?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:18 pm

camphorvan wrote:different type of inflection - the american upward inflection affects words, whereas this inflection affects the end vowel only - what we call a neutral vowel. it's very far from an americanism.
In different regions in the Midwest (where I'm from), even within a 50 mile radius of where I live, accents can be place on different syllables, affecting the inflection of a word. I not an expert in American dialects, but some areas of Louisiana, for example, have an upward inflection on the end vowel. That I know from the people I know from there.

But as you said, ho-hum, who cares how he speaks. I just like listening to his voice, preferably singing. :)

I'll have a cup of tea, thank you. ;-)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:36 pm

i agree about objectivity and fandom.

Inflection, anyone????
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:09 am

Yes, I'll have an inflection, since you're offering...
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:27 am

hee hee *passes it over* Here you go :-) take as much as you like :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:43 pm

camphorvan wrote:But, this is just my opinion, (pleeeease don't shout at me); I don't think photography is that hard a craft to master. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can sense photographers everywhere brushing off their baseball bats....

Bat out and ready to knock it out of the field...

Anyway, photography is one of those arts that's always been very debatable as to whether it actually is an art or not. My opinion is that it definitely is. Photography takes an eye for composition, a willingness to be open for any moment or scene that might offer something of value or beauty or pathos, even disgust. A good photographer can take something ephemeral and burn it into your memory. Also, the skill it takes to figure out the camera (and these days, Photoshop) is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm an amateur photographer. I love to take photos because I'm always seeing cool stuff and I want other people to be able to see it, too. My camera is a little point and click thing with not a whole lot of settings, so most of my photos come out kinda ho-hum. Anyway, I've seen a few of Ingrid's photos and I must say they are quite good. But then again, David Sylvian's photos are pretty d*amn good, too (some of them are just wonderful). You can tell a lot about the two of them by how different their shots are as far as composition, framing, subjects, colors, etc.

BTW, I'm not knocking your opinion of photography, just offering my two cents. I thought your original post was pretty insightful (except for that nasty bit about the photography :wink: ).
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 pm

sheisnot wrote:I'm an amateur photographer. I love to take photos because I'm always seeing cool stuff and I want other people to be able to see it, too.

I understand, and agree! Whenever I am out somewhere, just looking around, I sometimes think "Boy, I wish I had my camera... That would be so beautiful just to show someone else!"

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

PreviousNext

Return to *Bulletin Board*