Collect Sylvian, Collect Collaborators?

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Collect Sylvian, Collect Collaborators?

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat May 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Just wondering if people pursue the careers of any of Sylvian's collaborators. What I mean is - have you gone out and bought music by people who have worked with Sylvian because of being introduced to them through his music?

This doesn't include buying stuff because he is on their albums e.g. Tweaker.

I certainly have. Some I was aware of but hadn't investigated previously - some were completely new to me.

I started looking into Mark Isham stuff because of his appearancess on the solo albums and now I probably have about 40 of his albums (he's done a lot of Soundtracks in case you didn't know)

Other notable mentions:
Virginia Astley - bought 'Some Small Hope' and then the album 'Hope in a darkened heart' but she captured my heart and I went on to buy everything I could find of hers. If you like pastoral piano stuff you must try 'From Gardens Where We Feel Secure'

Jon Hassell - loved his work on Brilliant Trees and Alchemy so went out and bought a load of his stuff.

Robert Fripp - I go more for the soundscapes than the King Crimson stuff

Trey Gunn - bought his album at the Sylvian & Fripp gig

Bill Nelson

Sakamoto

I'm sure there will be loads of others I've forgotten - remind me fols :wink:

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat May 20, 2006 10:35 pm

I'd have to say Holger Czukay was one I really delved into due to the Sylvian collaboration. Sakamoto is another. I guess Mark Isham too, sort of. I don't nearly have everything Isham put out. I knew OF him through other collaborations and being into Jazz, but it wasn't till after I heard what he had done with Sylvian that I was compelled to buy his stuff.

Most other artists he collaborated with I had heard of through other avenues. Fripp of course and Trey both of Crimson fame, Oh and lest we forget Mel Collins.

Hassell I knew through his collabs with Gabriel and Eno. I had a few things by him, but now I think the only disc of his I still own is (with Bluescreen - can't beat that title for a video producer) Dressing for Pleasure.

Bill Nelson, again, I'm a prog head... had lots of BeBopDelux! But still don't have much of his solo material.

Of course, we're not including his ex-Japan collaborators, right?? So I guess for me there's only 3 I can think of off the top of my head.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat May 20, 2006 11:06 pm

I'm curious about Robert Fripp and Bill Nelson in particular. David brought them to my attention, but I know other bands/artists have been influenced by both so I would like to hear more.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue May 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Well, I'm just starting with all his collaborators, but I got into Sakamoto/YMO because of David , and I'm curious too about Fripp work out of King Crimson.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 2:54 pm

I just picked up my first Porcupine Tree CD today - Deadwing. I think PT may be my next musical infatuation...

I also got Stina Nordenstam's "The World Is Saved" - I liked her work with David on Nine Horses and have only heard bits and pieces of her album. It seems to have that intimate, acoustic flavor like Nine Horses. I'm anxious to dig into it!
Last edited by John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed May 24, 2006 4:21 pm

i just recently got into more of sakamoto's work. He actually did the soundtrack theme song to one of my all time favourite films "Wuthering Heights" from 1996 i believe it was. I really enjoy his collaborations with Alva Noto. Very moody and lush....
I also bought Stina's most recent cd.... I also Ingrid's additions to David's music and was able to get her solo effort cd.
I have to say I'm not really into the music Fripp does ... abit harder than what i'm interested in right now.
I'd like to investigate more of his collaborations when I have more time and funds available.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Fripp can get very harsh and dissonant at times, particularly with king Crimson but also in his solo soundscapes. Lately he has been creating some positively beautiful, serene soundscapes. I recommend Love Can Not Bear (Shameless plug: I worked on this record.)

He also goes for a kinder, gentler ambient approach when he is working with Brian Eno. The newest Fripp & Eno release is Equitorial Stars.

One thing I'd like to mention while on the subject of Robert Fripp/King Crimson: I've been a member on a few different Fripp-related forums and I must say that the SylvianJapan.com Forum is really much more of a pleasure to be on. The Crimson forums usually have plenty of "high and mighty" attitude and negativity. Come to think of it most forums have the "ego thing" going on - the regulars and old timers look down their noses at the newbies, etc.

This forum is the first for me that has none of the attitude. I must say it's very refreshing and has caused me to post much more than I do on other Forums (I mostly lurk).

Basically I just wanted to thank everyone for making this a great community :!:
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Wed May 24, 2006 10:56 pm

John Trevethan wrote:
One thing I'd like to mention while on the subject of Robert Fripp/King Crimson: I've been a member on a few different Fripp-related forums and I must say that the SylvianJapan.com Forum is really much more of a pleasure to be on. The Crimson forums usually have plenty of "high and mighty" attitude and negativity. Come to think of it most forums have the "ego thing" going on - the regulars and old timers look down their noses at the newbies, etc.

This forum is the first for me that has none of the attitude. I must say it's very refreshing and has caused me to post much more than I do on other Forums (I mostly lurk).

Thank you for saying this because I have been thinking the same thing and wanted to say something but you basically took the words out of my mouth. I find the same characteristics at other forums as well, and thought that most of the Sylvian/Japan related forums that existed up to now were very much that way. This one is quite refreshing and everyone seems to be having a great time without getting hostile with each other. I think for the most part we are all on the same page of thought, although us gals do a bit of gloming over the guys. We do try to keep that balanced out though.

Let's keep up the great work!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Kera for this website!!!! :-D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Collect Sylvian, Collect Collaborators?

Postby heartofdavid on Thu May 25, 2006 8:15 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:What I mean is - have you gone out and bought music by people who have worked with Sylvian because of being introduced to them through his music?
Definitely, and some just through the interest he's expressed in their music. Many of those mentioned already, Akiko Yano, Sandii & the Sunsetz, got into Takahashi's solo work because of the collaboration with Steve, Derek Bailey, Talvin Singh, etc.

I only once had the opportunity to see David in concert on his first solo tour, the band line-up was amazing, I was very impressed with Isham.
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ladyxenax on Fri May 26, 2006 2:17 am

Certainly, Sakamoto, Fripp, Porcupine Tree. I just love getting new ideas in music. *_*

And apart from Sylvian's work I think that Japanese music is the most original and interesting stuff I've ever heard.
LET'S PLAY AND KISS KISS KISS
ladyxenax
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 26, 2006 12:07 pm

krausy wrote:
John Trevethan wrote:

Thank you for saying this because I have been thinking the same thing and wanted to say something but you basically took the words out of my mouth. I find the same characteristics at other forums as well, and thought that most of the Sylvian/Japan related forums that existed up to now were very much that way. This one is quite refreshing and everyone seems to be having a great time without getting hostile with each other. I think for the most part we are all on the same page of thought, although us gals do a bit of gloming over the guys. We do try to keep that balanced out though.

Let's keep up the great work!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Kera for this website!!!! :-D

I am in absolute agreement with those sentiments. I hardly ever post on the other sites now this one was created. I check them out for information, but the people get this completely superior attitude. I thought we were supposed to be enjoying the music not analyzing it like some post modern art piece?? I completely detest the deconstructionistic approach to artwork and MUSIC!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Kenny Wheeler

Postby silentwings on Fri May 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Like others here I have followed the collaborators. Kenny Wheeler has been one of the most rewarding. If you like Laughter and Forgetting, try Where Do We Go From Here?. a wonderful collaboration with John Taylor on piano. Just inspirational.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 26, 2006 5:09 pm

I fancy listening to some YMO. Where would people recommend I start?

(Incidentally, this is the first Sylvian/Japan forum I've joined - looks like I've struck lucky...the other ones sound right snobby and stuck up!! Heh.)
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri May 26, 2006 6:05 pm

I'd recommend "Naughty Boys" by YMO, has my favorite song by them on it, Lotus Love. :-)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Thanks....what's their sound like - can you liken it to Japan in any way, or is it totally different?
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Collaborations