Which YMO track inspired Bamboo Music?

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Which YMO track inspired Bamboo Music?

Postby missouriman on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:52 pm

At a loss to recall the YMO track that sounds like it was the inspiration for Bamboo Music/Bamboo Houses?

Any aficianado able to help me out? Thanks.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Which YMO track inspired Bamboo Music?

Postby Blemished on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:47 am

Technodelic is the album. A few of the tracks bear resemblance, but Pure Jam is the one that sounds almost exactly like Bamboo Music. Has the same lead synth sound.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby missouriman on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Blemished wrote:Technodelic is the album. A few of the tracks bear resemblance, but Pure Jam is the one that sounds almost exactly like Bamboo Music. Has the same lead synth sound.

Excellent. Thank you Sir.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:14 pm

missouriman wrote:Excellent. Thank you Sir.

A pleasure. Might also be worth adding that - in my view at least - Duran Duran built their entire career on riffing off Quiet Life and 'Light in Darkness' that's also on this YMO album. Like the source track for Rio etc.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Blemished wrote:Technodelic is the album. A few of the tracks bear resemblance, but Pure Jam is the one that sounds almost exactly like Bamboo Music. Has the same lead synth sound.

Love that album. In fact it was the only YMO-album I had for a long time. Later I got me one or two live-CD's as well.
Never really took notice of the Bamboo Music-resemblance though, maybe because the song is very much influenced by Japanese music and thus indeed typical YMO. I'll listen to the CD and will refresh my memorie.
But from memory I always thought Technodelic sounded more "cold"/mechanized than the music Sakamoto made with Sylvian, probably because of the very tight drumming of Takahashi.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Collaborations