Forbidden Colours (Acoustic Version)

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Forbidden Colours (Acoustic Version)

Postby Halloway on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 am

My recollection is that the following version of 'Forbidden Colours' was an extra track on the cassette release of 'Secrets of the Beehive.' But I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else. Was this ever released in a digital format, please?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hZ4sYhdv68[/youtube]
Halloway
Regular
Regular

Re: Forbidden Colours (Acoustic Version)

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:28 am

It’s Sylvian’s version. Originally from the Red Guitar 7” single. You can find it now in digital form on the original release of the Secrets of the Beehive CD where it’s an extra track.

The YouTube video calls it ‘acoustic’ which it isn’t. And it misses the opening of the track, so best ignored.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Halloway on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks for the info. So when you say that it is Sylvian's version, does that mean there is no Sakamoto on this recording?
Halloway
Regular
Regular

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Although I’ve seen it described as a re-recording (often from the release year of Secrets in ‘87, when in fact it was already out four years earlier), it’s the Sakamoto version with Sylvian just adding a few bits. The piano intro is great for sure (and twice as long as in the YouTube video).

I don’t actually own the original Secrets CD* but I have this ‘version’ digitally on my iPod so just checked to see where I obtained it. It’s on the Sylvian / Sakamoto Heartbeat CD single from the early ‘90’s.

*I have two Secrets CDs, one of which is just the original nine track vinyl version (from the Weatherbox boxset) and the remaster which replaced Colours as an extra track with Promise (The Cult of Eurydice).
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:59 pm

I found the full version on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3kvzZfjc ... ZtikQ3ZNHw
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby karnsculpture on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:32 am

Lots of confusion about this version. It was recorded in Summer 1983 during the Brilliant Trees sessions and was first released as the b-side of Red Guitar as Forbidden Colours (Version). Later on it was released on the CD of Secrets Of The Beehive although it was replaced by Promise (The Cult Of Eurydice) for the 1991 Japanese reissue and 2003 remaster.

There is another alternate version of Forbidden Colours on the CD Cinemage by Sakamoto, which is based on a live performance that Sylvian overdubbed a vocal on to (2001).
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 am

karnsculpture wrote:Lots of confusion about this version. It was recorded in Summer 1983 during the Brilliant Trees sessions and was first released as the b-side of Red Guitar as Forbidden Colours (Version). Later on it was released on the CD of Secrets Of The Beehive although it was replaced by Promise (The Cult Of Eurydice) for the 1991 Japanese reissue and 2003 remaster.

There is another alternate version of Forbidden Colours on the CD Cinemage by Sakamoto, which is based on a live performance that Sylvian overdubbed a vocal on to (2001).

I indeed have the original Virgin-CD-version from 1987 and really love this version (the same way as I love the original soundtrack-version. The Cinemage-version is also wonderful. The sort of instrumental version, the title track of the soundtrack, also has a lot of versions from Sakamoto, like the piano-only version on Piano One (Private Music).

Isn't this version also included on "A Victim Of Stars"?
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Halloway on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:25 am

I've never been quite sure about the Cinemage version. The changes Sylvian makes to the vocal line robs it of a little bit of drama and emotion, imho.
Halloway
Regular
Regular

Postby karnsculpture on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm

The version of "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" played in the film "Coda" by Sakamoto uses Sylvian's vocal melody in the final third of the piece. A similar version is on his album "Three".
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Collaborations