From David's Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DavidSylvianOf ... Gbsx7_qYFQ
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Yuka Fujii - Like Planets

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:30 pm

:smt040

(Coming soon... hopefully before Christmas 2019!)
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 am

For sale now:

https://davidsylvian.probitymerch.com/

Book isn't cheap, but I'm willing to pay the price as it's Yuka's artistry.
However the exorbitant postage charge (60% of the book price!!) is a complete piss take. Such a rip-off. I'm not going to reward the publishing company for such shameless greed.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am

Can't comment on postage - and won't help you Javier - but seems pretty reasonable for UK.

Very much looking forward to this. Glad spotted quickly and managed to order a signed / numbered version. Interesting also that is the first of 3 volumes - the second to cover the recording of the solo albums.

Looking at the photos is a reminder of how many of the iconic photos of that era Yuka took. Along with Steve's photos, we've really been luck with very evocative images from that time - which once seemed very present, and is now receding rapidly.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby javier on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Blemished wrote:Interesting also that is the first of 3 volumes - the second to cover the recording of the solo albums.

Cool - where was this mentioned?
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chet on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

This is the first in a series of 3 volumes.
In the 2nd I will be documenting the period around the recording
of David’s solo albums from the mid 1980s.
Yuka Fujii – July 2018

http://davidsylvian.com/likeplanets/about.html
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Ah, thanks - I didn't realize that page scrolled down further!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 am

I'll be passing on that.

I don't like how he's been squeezing his past for monetizeable commodities for the last decade or so.
It's his past and he's of course entitled to do with it as he pleases (more realistically, I surmise: as he needs).

I would've been over the moon to buy a Yuka photobook 30 years ago when the music of that period was created. But time passes, and nowadays I can do without these and other peripheral commodities to the music produced.

This, Hypergraphia, the 2x12'' hi-speed masters, and all the recent (and, sadly, more upcoming) reissues with the absurdly changed covers, are all unnecessary vanity projects, to me.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm

kitaj wrote:I'll be passing on that.

I don't like how he's been squeezing his past for monetizeable commodities for the last decade or so.
It's his past and he's of course entitled to do with it as he pleases (more realistically, I surmise: as he needs).

I would've been over the moon to buy a Yuka photobook 30 years ago when the music of that period was created. But time passes, and nowadays I can do without these and other peripheral commodities to the music produced.

This, Hypergraphia, the 2x12'' hi-speed masters, and all the recent (and, sadly, more upcoming) reissues with the absurdly changed covers, are all unnecessary vanity projects, to me.

My sentiments exactly. David has distanced himself enormously from the Japan days over the years but is now putting out a book with images from those days ? Absolutely don't get it. The images are ok for David to put out a book but you don't associate with barely anything about the music from then ? 30 years ago or probably less I would have loved a book but now it smacks of laziness and looking at a few images every now and then does not even come close to the impact of a great song or composition. I have been a supporter of Davids for years but I am beginning to think that he is now past it and he is going to cling to old glories (in some form and another) like most of the Eighties artists. That is not the David I have grown to try to know and love.

Put out some music David, I may not like it (but I will respect your direction) Your voice and your poetic words are your greatest gift that life has bestowed on you and you cast them to one side like they don't matter. He is the rabbit in the headlights. Maybe in tomorrow's stew. Manafon the track is autobiographical.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I think it's important to remember this is not a work or product by David Sylvian. It's by Yuka Fujii. Sylvian just happens to be the subject of the photographs.

I fully understand him endorsing the book, but I don't think it's accurate to suggest he instigated it or is releasing and profiting from this because he can't or won't make new music. From all the available information, this is a project of Fujii's making, and Sylvian is simply helping her promote it.

Despite him distancing himself from the music of the Japan days, it's certainly not hypocritical for him to promote a close friend and ex-partner's photographs from that time.
Last edited by javier on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:56 am

it is a David Sylvian (by-)product. it's not like these are Yuka's recent landscape photographs or something. 98% of the purchasers will be old David fans, who will buy it to relive their memories of his music produced in the photos' timeframe. this book is geared towards them. it is indeed presented like a David Sylvian by-product. I don't envision reviews of it on photographers' magazines, or indeed anywhere non-Sylvian related.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:12 am

My feeling was that this might be David's way of helping out Yuka, perhaps if she is nearing retirement. Steve has proved that there is still interest in photos from that era (which I love as they have offered new perspectives and are a way of helping support him in his music) and perhaps it's only fair that Yuka be able to benefit in some way from her own unique archive and role as a semi-official photographer / biographer.

I think it's a little harsh to compare David and company to other 80s acts - who seem to spend a lot of time on themed nostalgia tours or going on reality TV. Issuing beautifully produced books of photos is rather different. That said, I think David's writings on Plight & Premonition and Anthony Reynold's forthcoming book are probably the things I've got most from in terms of that era of music. David is a bit sniffy about discussing the production of albums, but I personally find it fascinating to read about the making of them.

Less fussed about re-issues. Peter Gabriel seems to be recycling everything, so it's not unique! Given that there had never been a vinyl release of Dead Bees, I think that's welcome although I would have preferred the original cover. There's no getting away from the fact that pop music from the golden era - 60s to 90s, early 00s - the pre-download era - seems to be becoming fetishised in some ways, with glossy re-releases, making of TV programmes etc. Some of this might be age-related nostalgia, but seems also to be about the loss of that older, more communal way of experiencing music that has now died outside of live music.

The greatest frustration I feel regarding David is the fact that there is music recorded (Beautiful Country, sessions with various people) that seems unlikely to see the light of day. He seemed to be gearing up for something a couple of years ago and then it fell away - no idea why - and you get the sense from his twitter feed that he has lost interest in music for now.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby javier on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

Blemished wrote: it's only fair that Yuka be able to benefit in some way from her own unique archive and role as a semi-official photographer / biographer.

This is exactly the point that others seem to be ignoring. Of course she has every right to benefit from years of creative work, and obviously DS can help her with that.

I cannot understand people disputing this, simply because the subject of the photos has little interest in discussing the music he wrote at that time - that's completely irrelevant!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm

I fully understand these are her photos but what i don't understand is how David is happy to promote a part of his life where he has said (many times) that he hid behind a facade, both visually and musically.

Its his choice what he puts out and what projects he endorses, but promoting a book from a period that he shies away from for me is totally baffling, the book is 30 years too late for me.

I have seen Steves book and its lovely (as i am sure these are) but the images fade after a few viewings whilst music lives long in my memory. I want the future not the past. I want David to be pushing us and himself. Not to be endorsing thirty year old images, reissues and designing others cd artwork whilst their is undoubtedly a lot of material that is unreleased and to my mind David would be better using his time and energy to get those issues resolved and put some new music out.

He endorses the Czukay reissues but why doesn't he put out a live Weatherbox. His past has still lots to yield. You may disagree with everything i say on this post but we all want that. In Praise of Shamans live, The First Day Tour (Japan and Italy), Slow Fire, Blemish tour amongst others. Contractual issues may come up but record companies want to sell records so come on, sell us some.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:10 am

ob8 wrote:In Praise of Shamans live, The First Day Tour (Japan and Italy), Slow Fire, Blemish tour amongst others. Contractual issues may come up but record companies want to sell records so come on, sell us some.

Absolutely agree on this. Although there are some bootlegs of listenable quality from these tours, it seems crazy that a properly polished official recording of the various tours isn't released.

Given that Damage has been remixed and re-released (obviously sales justified the costs to do so), it seems unfathomable that a different tour release of equally high quality wouldn't generate a tidy profit while also satisfying the hunger of devoted fans. Win-win.

I would say that Slow Fire is the obvious main candidate, being such a unique style of performance with markedly different versions of most of the material from the studio recordings.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Collaborations