async - Sakamoto

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

async - Sakamoto

Postby missouriman on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 pm

absolutely beautiful new record by Sakamoto featuring David on one track reciting a poem "Life, life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZaIQF2Cb3g
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: async - Sakamoto

Postby karnsculpture on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:19 am

Pretty ridiculous that the whole thing is up on YouTube already.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:27 am

Only heard Life, Life. Lovely track.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:10 pm

karnsculpture wrote:Pretty ridiculous that the whole thing is up on YouTube already.

In a way, but if I had not heard it and have listened to it about five times now I wouldn't have ordered it. I am not a big Sakamoto fan, but hearing this persuaded me to order it.

Of course there are folks going to download it from here and you know. F<K> them.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for posting this. That track has a wonderful atmosphere. Could easily imagine him singing on that too in a different world.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm

There's a documentary about the making of of this album, called Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHrsGOP9LQ
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Milan Records just released "async remodels"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZ9AwIPDa4

As one-third of Yellow Magic Orchestra and an Academy Award-winning composer for his work on the soundtrack for The Last Emperor, synth pop innovator Ryuichi Sakamoto is among the most groundbreaking artists to have emerged since the late '70s. A musician's musician, Ryuichi Sakamoto has created intriguing musical unions with artists such as David Sylvian, Iggy Pop, Tony Williams, Bootsy Collins, Jacques Morelenbaum and many others. Following the massively successful release of the electronic masterpiece async in 2017, Ryuichi Sakamoto's first studio album in eight years, Milan is proud to announce the remix compilation 'async remodels.' 'async remodels' features a dozen remixes of async's tracks by a who's who of experimental giants - everyone from Icelandic composer Johann Johannsson (Arrival, Sicario) to Oneohtrix Point Never (composer of Good Times) to Arca (producer of Bjork's numerous releases) have gotten their hands dirty remixing Sakamoto's work. Even reworks by the Canadian synthpop duo Electric Youth and Austin-based synthwave legends S U R V I V E are included. With such a well of talent reinterpreting such a personal album, this is one release Sakamoto fans can't afford to miss.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm

This has the original track set to images from Tarkovsky films - quite stunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKsVsEXZXe8
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am

Quiet Visitor wrote:There's a documentary about the making of of this album, called Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda:

The movie was aired last week by Dutch television and I was happy to see it yesterday.
Such a moving moment when Ryuichi started playing Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence together with a violin- and cello-player.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:There's a documentary about the making of of this album, called Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda:

Finally I bought the album, mostly based on watching the documentary.
I think that if you haven't seen the docu. it's harder to understand the album.
F.i. the leading instrument on Disintegration sounds like an ordinary prepared piano, but in fact it's a piano that was a "victim" of the Japanese tsunami.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:Finally I bought the album, mostly based on watching the documentary.
I think that if you haven't seen the docu. it's harder to understand the album.
F.i. the leading instrument on Disintegration sounds like an ordinary prepared piano, but in fact it's a piano that was a "victim" of the Japanese tsunami.

I've been considering getting the film when it releases in the UK on the 26th of this month... Would you consider it worthwhile? I realize it may be hard to say, but I would welcome a more detailed review of this documentary when you have a moment or two.

The trailer looks very interesting, and therefore I hope the whole film lives up to this expectation.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:I've been considering getting the film when it releases in the UK on the 26th of this month... Would you consider it worthwhile? I realize it may be hard to say, but I would welcome a more detailed review of this documentary when you have a moment or two.

The trailer looks very interesting, and therefore I hope the whole film lives up to this expectation.

Of course this is a personal view, so don't blame me if you don't like it :wink:

The documentary follows Ryuichi closely after he heard the news of his illness.
He's very open in this and through the movie you see how he's dealing with it (his struggle to swallow his pills, etc.).
But there are also a lot of fragments we see him perform: live, in his studio.
We also follow him while he's in the "forbidden" city where the radio-activity after the tsunami is still too high for "normal" visiting.
I really liked the pieces (which I now hear on the CD) in which he's creating sounds while searching through the woods or when he finds that piano. (It reminded me how Peter Gabriel searched for sounds to record for the Fairlight - used for his fourth solo-album.)

I don't know if the film shown on TV has the same length as the actual documentary; I know from other DVD that the TV-versions are slightly shorter.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:49 am

Quiet Visitor wrote:
Foales Arishes wrote:I've been considering getting the film when it releases in the UK on the 26th of this month... Would you consider it worthwhile? I realize it may be hard to say, but I would welcome a more detailed review of this documentary when you have a moment or two.

Of course this is a personal view, so don't blame me if you don't like it :wink:

The documentary follows Ryuichi closely after he heard the news of his illness.
He's very open in this and through the movie you see how he's dealing with it (his struggle to swallow his pills, etc.).
But there are also a lot of fragments we see him perform: live, in his studio.
We also follow him while he's in the "forbidden" city where the radio-activity after the tsunami is still too high for "normal" visiting.
I really liked the pieces (which I now hear on the CD) in which he's creating sounds while searching through the woods or when he finds that piano. (It reminded me how Peter Gabriel searched for sounds to record for the Fairlight - used for his fourth solo-album.)

I don't know if the film shown on TV has the same length as the actual documentary; I know from other DVD that the TV-versions are slightly shorter

He-he, no of course... and thank you for that.

Does the focus seem to concentrate on his illness over the music?... It might sound awful, but it would put me off if it does, which is more a hang-up of such things (all things medical and the personal nature of illness) on my part, rather than me not caring about his plight, which it seems he has thankfully recovered from. I hated those hospital pictures that David posted as well... I just find them disturbing :oops:

Seeing him play, record, and finding sounds, along with his travelling really sounds fascinating and I hope it's not too overshadowed by things that seem to be deeply private, although obviously filmed with his blessing.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am

Foales Arishes wrote:Seeing him play, record, and finding sounds, along with his travelling really sounds fascinating and I hope it's not too overshadowed by things that seem to be deeply private, although obviously filmed with his blessing.

No, you don't have to worry, the movie is more like your last paragraph, so the medical issues don't overshadow the musical content.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:
No, you don't have to worry, the movie is more like your last paragraph, so the medical issues don't overshadow the musical content.

Great!... thank you very much QV :)

I have placed my order and look forward to watching it.... UK DVD release is on the 26th Nov for others interested.

I very much like the LP and I'm sure this will add something to further listens, much like Amplified Gesture did for me with Manafon.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Collaborations