async - Sakamoto

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Re: async - Sakamoto

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:47 pm

One buyer of the Blu-ray at Amazon wrote the following review:

Slow but ultimately involving documentary that starts with the unlikely unearthing of a radioactive piano found after the worst Nuclear meltdown in Japanese history. The docu also follows film composer Sakamoto as he explores other means to create sounds for future and past projects (including THE REVENANT). Certainly a MUST-WATCH for students of musical composition who are interested in working on film projects, but still interesting for those fascinated by artists and how they go about their work in daily life. Make sure you have a little caffeine before starting the DVD as the pace is a bit slow and some of the music might not only hypnotize you but knock you out (literally) ;)
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:20 am

Sad coincidence: Bernardo Bertolucci, one of the spoken word-actors in the track Fullmoon (written by Paul Bowles and taken from "The Sheltering Sky") died this week.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:Sad coincidence: Bernardo Bertolucci, one of the spoken word-actors in the track Fullmoon (written by Paul Bowles and taken from "The Sheltering Sky") died this week.

David posted a tweet regarding the story about Bertolucci and the rather unsavory nature of how an infamous anal rape scene in Last Tango in Paris came into being?... the post has since been removed as he has a habit of doing. Not sure what to make of it, but there seems to be so much stuff being dragged out about so many people.

Anyway, moving on... Coda arrived, but my wife snatched it away and is not letting me have it until Christmas.... boo! :(

So I won't be able to comment on it for a while... The Amazon review you posted makes me all the more anxious to see it, and slow (which seemed to be the only negative) I don't mind at all, in fact it would seem odd to me if the film wasn't slow.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

Ah... the site is back up. I thought Blemished may have finally pulled the plug, which would be a shame, despite the quietness, as there is a wealth of great info within a lot of the posts here. I often find myself looking back at very old threads regarding various recordings etc, so I'd hate to lose it.

I finally got around to watching Coda and I must say I found it an interesting and inspiring watch. Yes, it is rather bleak at times, not only due to his illness, but also some of the subject matter (political/social/environmental) he is concerned with, which I fully support myself, but is nonetheless sobering. It's lovely to see his playful delight in capturing sounds and the subsequent recording with them for various projects. Regardless of any connection with David I would says it's a must watch for anyone interested in music and the creative process.

A belated Happy New Year to all :)
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 am

^^Glad you appreciated the movie (too).
Although I've seen it I may buy it when it comes in my way (which means: when I see it in a real shop; it's too easy to buy it online).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Collaborations