Damage recording dates?

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Damage recording dates?

Postby javier on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:09 am

Damage was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall shows in December 1993. There were 2 shows, and I was reading that all the album was taken from the second night's show, except for one track.

Anybody know which one?
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Damage recording dates?

Postby Chad on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:50 am

Blinding Light of Heaven is the only difference between the 2 versions. I suspect thats the track. Btw, the Fripp version blows the doors off the weak and feeble 2001 remake. That was a wtf moment for sure. They should have kept Jerry Marotta along for tour too. Mastelotto is a brick with drum sticks ... imho
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:06 am

Chad wrote:Blinding Light of Heaven is the only difference between the 2 versions.

not true. the whole instrumental portion of 20th Century Dreaming is different between the two versions, too.

I quite liked the choice of Pat Mastelotto for the gigs, though I also liked Marotta's work on the studio album. I went to two dates of the tour and it's safe to say neither of the two versions (Sylvian's nor Fripp's) are completely faithful to the sound in the theatres. the only complete soundboard known i.e. the earlier-recorded A New Dream bootleg from Tokyo is much too trebly - also, it has Pat using percussive samples later discarded for the European leg, where he opted for a more basic approach.

I actually prefer the studio version of TBLOH - which is not a remake for E&N, just a straight outtake from the First Day sessions. it bears more resemblance to its original airing on the 1992 'trio' tour of Japan and Italy.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 am

Thanks for replies.

Yes, also there's swap of Darshan for Jean The Birdman between the Fripp and Sylvian versions of Damage. I wondered if that was due to Sylvian being unhappy with Darshan live? Personally I love the song on TFD album, but on live versions DS always sounds like he's singing in the wrong key during the verses.

Regarding which song was from the first night's show, the On The Periphery book mentions this fact but not which track. I get the impression (maybe mistakenly) that it's a track on both Fripp's and Sylvian's versions of the CD.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:15 am

I also agree that in terms of "blowing the doors off", Fripp's version has a lot more immediate impact - guitars way more up-front etc.

I like Sylvian's version for it's more rich/polished sound too, especially on the softer tracks. But Fripp's guitar is so quiet in the mix at times in the rockier tracks it sounds too soft...

I'd say both versions are good in their own way but neither captures the intensity AND warmth of the shows. I was at both London shows - completely gobsmacked.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm

javier wrote: I'd say both versions are good in their own way but neither captures the intensity AND warmth of the shows. I was at both London shows - completely gobsmacked.

I only managed to go to one, but it was a huge thrill as it was the first time I'd seen David play live and - yes - it was a stunning performance. Hearing those ballads (Damage, The First Day) for the first time, Fripp in all his majesty and 'Every Colour You are' were highlights for me.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Halloway on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:09 pm

javier wrote:Yes, also there's swap of Darshan for Jean The Birdman between the Fripp and Sylvian versions of Damage. I wondered if that was due to Sylvian being unhappy with Darshan live? Personally I love the song on TFD album, but on live versions DS always sounds like he's singing in the wrong key during the verses.

If memory serves, he mentions this subject in the E&N tour CD, which contains an interview by/with DS. He basically says that he didn't want to inflict Darshan on listeners again! Having said that, I've always loathed 'Exposure' since I heard it on the Robert Fripp album of that name so it's not much of a replacement for me.

For me the best recording of that tour was the soundtrack to the Japanese Laserdisc, 'Live in Japan'. I have a 2-CD bootleg somewhere that contains the soundtrack to the whole show and despite the odd fluff (Fripp's entry to 'Wave' being the most notable) it's easily the best record of that tour. In the late 1990s I acquired a VHS bootleg copy from Japan at enormous expense. The video used to be available on the usual P2P networks if you haven't got it.
Halloway
Regular
Regular

Return to Collaborations