The Kilowatt Hour to be released?

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

The Kilowatt Hour to be released?

Postby silentwings on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:55 am

In an interesting interview with Christian Fennesz about his new album, he mentions that he has been recording his parts from The Kilowatt Hour, and that David has been mixing it for possible release:

http://www.attnmagazine.co.uk/features/ ... ew-fennesz

"You mentioned there that you’ve been working on other projects alongside Bécs. One that came to my attention was The Kilowatt Hour with Stefan Mathieu and David Sylvian. Are there any plans to take that one further?

I’m not sure…it really depends on David. In the end, the whole project really became his baby. I’ve just been recording all the parts that I played live when we did that tour. I think he’s finished mixing now and wants to release it. I imagine that after the release we could do something again."
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: The Kilowatt Hour to be released?

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to hearing his new album... and a tour in autumn! Perhaps we`ll see him at Punkt again this year... :D

Easter greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:11 pm

this is such a bad idea on so many levels. k-watt is a train wreck. I'm sure thats why fennesz doesn't want to own it.

time to move on david. either you do or I certainly will :) lol...as if that matters
Last edited by Chad on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby swordofdestiny on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 pm

I was wondering why David had gone quiet ie not posting old photos to his tumblr account and then this news of a Kilowatt Hour release on the horizon. I was hoping he was done with that too. It's just not exciting to me. The Wandermude cd was nice enough, but really? Do we need more of that? What's the consensus?
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Agree..time to move on.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:15 am

silentwings wrote:"I’ve just been recording all the parts that I played live when we did that tour. I think he’s finished mixing now and wants to release it."

Thanks for sharing this information
It would be good to have a definitive document of the music that Fennesz, Matthieu and Sylvian performed together, especially as it seems that their contributions are being re-recorded in a studio.
To me personally, what would particularly seem ideal would be Sylvian opting to exclude the distracting voiceover from Franz Wright. I find it admirable when artists will second guess themselves and arrive at a realization to reverse those certain creative concepts that do not always work so well when finally executed. Just as Sylvian had made a wise decision to nix the ill-advised project with Wasser, I do hope he decides to excise any trace of the spoken text that marred The Kilowatt Hour - allowing the work created by the three players to stand on its own.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 pm

To be honest, I thought the guitar Christian played more distracting. I actually was quite mesmerised by Franz Wright`s voice ' during the concert in Kristiansand... "If you liked being born, you will love dying"... Brilliant.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:28 pm

I would prefer Franz Wright's voice to be left in the recording, I found him quite mesmerising and it brought the piece together.

Sylvian didn't decide to cease working on the duets album with Joan Wasser for musical reasons, it was postponed due to his health problems and other circumstances. Unless you know differently, feel free to correct me.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:42 am

excising F. Wright's voice from the TKW recording wouldn't make any sense, as his work is the reason why the project exists in the first place. also, I don't know the current state of Wright's health (crossing fingers), but I'm sure his voice would be left in at least as an homage to the man.
Baht, I've always respected your contributions and agreed with you on almost all counts here, but how on earth can you find 'ill-advised' a project which you didn't hear a note of based on, if I remember correctly, finding the drummer's style tame for your liking?
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 am

kitaj wrote:excising F. Wright's voice from the TKW recording wouldn't make any sense, as his work is the reason why the project exists in the first place.

Yes. It would be like pulling the backbone out of someone's body.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:46 pm

kitaj wrote:Baht, I've always respected your contributions and agreed with you on almost all counts here, but how on earth can you find 'ill-advised' a project which you didn't hear a note of based on, if I remember correctly, finding the drummer's style tame for your liking?

I may or may not have mentioned this previously but the reason I would personally find it ill-advised is that Wasser and Sylvian would be backed by her rhythm section, while working within her style and musical genre. After hearing Ms Wasser perform a few of the supposed co-compositions live, it surely had sounded as if he had merely adapted fully to the musical framework she has chosen to follow in the past, rather than creating something daring and experimental. I fear that I wouldn't recognize any of his unique qualities within this work.
But the gist of your point is well taken, kitaj. Normally I would most likely look upon things exactly as you are, and not even think to judge something before it reached my ears.
I do now realize that I was incorrect about this duo project being entirely scrapped. I see that someone else on this forum deemed it 'abandoned' and I mistook that for the description used in the Wall Street Journal article, rather than the description which was actually used - "faltered". So that was purely my mistake - sorry for that.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:35 pm

All of this sounds so freakin boring to me. First uncommon deities and now this k-watt thing. Big snore.

I'd be much more interested in a new vocal album using his OWN lyrics. But he refuses to sing anymore. Manafons spoken-croakels are so painful to listen to. He should do some live shows and get his chops back. And hire a drummer for cryin out loud.

Wasser was a rebound thing. Probably a good thing that it "faltered".
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:52 am

Chad - you're almost becoming a parody of yourself.. someone could start a thread and we'd all know that within minutes you'd be posting the usual negative crap we've come to expect from you. Have you ever considered finding another artist to love as you clearly don't have any enthusiasm for Sylvian anymore?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 am

And for the record, the Wasser project is still on the cards.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:08 am

Simonp wrote:Chad - you're almost becoming a parody of yourself.. someone could start a thread and we'd all know that within minutes you'd be posting the usual negative crap we've come to expect from you. Have you ever considered finding another artist to love as you clearly don't have any enthusiasm for Sylvian anymore?

chad is troll. dont feed him!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Collaborations