The Kilowatt Hour - Premiere for Festival MITO SettembreMusi

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

The Kilowatt Hour - Premiere for Festival MITO SettembreMusi

Postby banyan on Tue May 28, 2013 3:58 pm

As part of the Festival MITO Settembre Musica
David Sylvian, Christian Fennesz and Stephan Mathieu will be premiering 'The Kilowatt Hour'

'Previous David Sylvian collaborations with Christian Fennesz and Stephan Mathieu
have inspired the three artists to come up with The Kilowatt Hour, a work in progress
that creates an all-new experience in sight and sound'.

http://www.mitosettembremusica.it/en/pr ... atraz.html

Banyan
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Kilowatt Hour - Premiere for Festival MITO SettembreMusi

Postby inkinthewell on Tue May 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Oh yes!
This new work will be performed on the 18th of september in Turin and on the 19th in Milan.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Thu May 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for bringing us this news - more evidence that David is creatively active - which is great news indeed.

Contemplating making the journey to witness it in person!
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri May 31, 2013 2:29 am

I do wish he'd use his website to update us on projects like this. They seem to be very much kept in the background and we learn about them via other sources...eventually
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 am

Simonp wrote:I do wish he'd use his website to update us on projects like this. They seem to be very much kept in the background and we learn about them via other sources...eventually

I guess this is the main difference between an independant artist and a 'commercial' artist signed to a big label. The commercial artist will have a detailed communication strategy which would include web, social media, etc. The website hasn't been updated since mid-January, his FB page is not really used for communication or promotional purposes... His focus is on the creative process rather than the financial.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 am

Having said that... I'm really grateful to this board (and a site like davidsylvian.net) which does keep you updated on events such as the MITO festival (and yes, I'll be going!)

I remember the mid 80's when you had to scrounge through magazines, join fanclubs etc just to keep track of regular releases, let alone festivals in places like Japan or Italy!

Living in Cyprus at the time your only real source of news was Smash Hits and BFBS radio! It took a lot of letter writing and begging to get someone living in England or the Netherlands to buy something like one of the Alchemy cassettes for me!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:39 am

svendutchmountains wrote:
Simonp wrote:I do wish he'd use his website to update us on projects like this. They seem to be very much kept in the background and we learn about them via other sources...eventually

I guess this is the main difference between an independant artist and a 'commercial' artist signed to a big label. The commercial artist will have a detailed communication strategy which would include web, social media, etc. The website hasn't been updated since mid-January, his FB page is not really used for communication or promotional purposes... His focus is on the creative process rather than the financial.

There are plenty of independent artists who are very proactive in self promotion - they have no other choice if they want their music to be heard. Same with Sylvian I'd expect - his art is about communication. And given the fact that he is no longer a big money earner I suspect regardless of the project he's working on he'll be keen for it to get as much exposure as possible...otherwise what's the point.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby banyan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

The Kilowatt Hour to be performed at this year's Punkt Festival, September 6 - 8.

Promotional video for Punkt 2013 attached. (Incudes a few snippets of David performing in 2011)

http://vimeo.com/67113802

Banyan
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:10 pm

banyan wrote:The Kilowatt Hour to be performed at this year's Punkt Festival, September 6 - 8.

Promotional video for Punkt 2013 attached. (Incudes a few snippets of David performing in 2011)

http://vimeo.com/67113802

Banyan

Banyan, great thanks for keeping us so informed with this excellent news.

It's also cool to see that John Kelman made it into the promo video. He definitely is one open-minded writer who knows his stuff when it comes to the all encompassing genre that is Jazz.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby banyan on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:27 pm

baht habit wrote:Banyan, great thanks for keeping us so informed with this excellent news.

Always happy to share whatever news i come across.

There's a website for The Kilowatt Hour plus facebook and twitter feed.
http://the-kilowatt-hour.com/

Sounds like The Kilowatt Hour is the performing name for this group project.

Banyan
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby banyan on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:17 pm

A little more info on the premise of The Kilowatt Hour.

The Kilowatt Hour is the new band project by David Sylvian, Christian Fennesz and Stephan Mathieu.

Christian Fennesz and David Sylvian first collaborated on albums such as Blemish, Venice, and Manafon, and following the recent collaboration between Stephan Mathieu and Sylvian on Wandermüde, comes a new project, The Kilowatt Hour, a trio formed by Mathieu, Sylvian and Fennesz.

Whilst currently a vehicle for touring improvised instrumental works there are no limitations set on where this initial exploration might lead. This debut series of concerts will reveal a work in progress, a continued exploration of the chemistry shared between these very unique artists.

Banyan
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:53 pm

banyan wrote:A little more info on the premise of The Kilowatt Hour.

The Kilowatt Hour is the new band project by David Sylvian, Christian Fennesz and Stephan Mathieu.

Christian Fennesz and David Sylvian first collaborated on albums such as Blemish, Venice, and Manafon, and following the recent collaboration between Stephan Mathieu and Sylvian on Wandermüde, comes a new project, The Kilowatt Hour, a trio formed by Mathieu, Sylvian and Fennesz.

Whilst currently a vehicle for touring improvised instrumental works there are no limitations set on where this initial exploration might lead. This debut series of concerts will reveal a work in progress, a continued exploration of the chemistry shared between these very unique artists.

Banyan

Thanks once again. This venture sure looks quite appealing. We've all known for 7 or 8 years now that Sylvian has been yearning to perform with an ensemble that focuses strictly on improvisation, but he never figured out how to fit himself into such a situation.
I thought he would have used his first Punkt appearance to take advantage of such an opportunity, but he ended up using Plight & Premonition. Now he is actually going to take the complete plunge into EAI and one can't help but be glad just reading this mission statement.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:08 pm

baht habit wrote:Now he is actually going to take the complete plunge into EAI and one can't help but be glad just reading this mission statement.

:smt045
I'm curious to find out if David will sing on this project. I remember him saying, for Manafon, that he didn't feel too comfortable with the idea of joining the sessions and contribute some improvised vocals. But whatever he chooses to do will be good enough for me, and I should make it to the Turin and Milan dates.
Feeling excited about seeing Christian Fennesz too. Love his solo work, and I think he's made excellent contributions to Blemish, Manafon and Wandermüde.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm very curious too, and actually hope it's as the statement says i.e. mostly instrumental stuff. I've been yearning for more Sylvian-the-player for some years now, I've always liked him as an instrumentalist and he doesn't like to repeat himself while wearing that particular hat.

EAI? could be, on the other hand it could also be a retreat to more electronic/ambient-ish waters.. one thing this doesn't look like is it being rhythmically oriented. I hope it's going to be an emotionally new and exciting venture. it brings to mind the first Sylvian/Fripp tour. I'm glad I've yet to discover much about Mathieu.

I'll make the Milan gig, so I hope to get to know you as well, inkinthewell :-) (actually I don't know if you're active on the Italian forum too, I might know you already from there.)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 am

From various posts and emails it appears a number of the regular board contributors will be going to the show in Milano. It would be nice to be able to meet up pre-show for a few drinks. I know the venue has not been announced yet but perhaps closer to the date one of our Milanese members could recommend a suitable bar closer to the venue...

Greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Collaborations