New songs with Joan Wasser

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

New songs with Joan Wasser

Postby silentwings on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Can anyone translate the attached?

I think it says that one of the new songs is called 'Stay', and that Joan performed a number of the songs from the project at this concert on 23 March in Copenhagen

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/59077

'Hun åbnede koncerten med et nyt nummer, Stay, fra et pladeprojekt med David Sylvian. Vendte flere gange tilbage til numre fra dette projekt.'
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New songs with Joan Wasser

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:10 am

On-line translator says:
"She opened the concert with a new song, Stay, from one plate project with David Sylvian. Turned back several times to tracks from this project."

I leave it to you to work out what a one plate project is. :smt017
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 am

record project I guess
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:12 pm

With thanks to Conserto, here is a first listen to a song written (and here performed by) Joan for the duets album.

You need to hear through Joan's cold and the slightly dodgy sound quality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQjUHxVR ... ature=plcp
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Tue May 01, 2012 4:15 am

IM assuming the project will be released at the end of the year, what did everybody think of
Ballad of a deadman i thought it was okay but nothing brilliant my opinon only :lol:
all the best Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Barbierigirl on Wed May 02, 2012 2:46 pm

I really like Ballad of A Deadman, I like the instrumentation more than the singing but I'm not saying I dislike the singing because they do sound good together but I just love the sound of the instruments. It's great in my opinion :smt020
People change and forget to tell each other - Lillian Hellman
Barbierigirl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby silentwings on Thu May 03, 2012 2:38 pm

From an online review of Joan's concert on 23 April 2012 at the Bus Palladium in Paris (thanks 'rosesarenotred'):

'The concert was in a really cozy, dark, laid-back, homey kind of atmosphere venue. Everyone sat down everywhere until Joan came up and some of the people remained seated when she started. It looked like she had to get into playing a little but once she got to the point where she was as comfortable as the people sitting in the venue it was super good. I actually really like 'Warning Bell' - one of the Sylvian&Wasser project songs - it's beautiful.'
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Here's a better sound recording of the song 'Don't you know who I am?' written by Joan for the duets album, and originally referred to in the posting on this thread on 25 March.

This recording is from Joan's concert in Lisbon on 27 April 2012, with thanks to 'MelissaMolko'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-z2gPL ... ure=relmfu
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat May 05, 2012 3:39 am

...and another version of 'Don't you know who I am' from the Paris gig mentioned above, courtesy of 'thegreendog73', perhaps the best recording so far..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjaNkngYSfA

So the track titles we know so far are 'Don't you know who I am', 'Stay', and 'Warning Bell'. Please do add if you know more.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jebe68 on Sat May 05, 2012 6:52 pm

jebe68
Noob
Noob

Postby silentwings on Sun May 06, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks jebe68

And here is 'Warning Bell', which grows on me with each listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-DLOKj4 ... e=youtu.be

I haven't been able to attend any of Joan's recent gigs in Europe, but I'm told the three songs we've mentioned are the 'duets' ones that have been featured in these performances. Another new song premiered in these outings is called "Hijack of my Life" - it's been well received and Joan has confirmed on Twitter that this is a solo peice rather than from the 'duets' sessions.

I think it's good to hear these songs in such a simple setting, very bare accompaniment, almost sketches. It will be fascinating to hear the fully produced pieces when they are released on samadhisound.
Last edited by silentwings on Sun May 06, 2012 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jebe68 on Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 am

For some reason, that link for "Warning Bell" is not working; I would love to hear that.

Agreed that is nice to hear these songs in their spare, raw state; it will be interesting to hear what DS brings to the table. I am hopeful that the austerity in these songs will be kept intact. I also yearn for at least 2-3 uptempo numbers to mix things up a bit; I feel it would be a nice change of pace to hear Sylvian involved in some more driving material.
jebe68
Noob
Noob

Postby silentwings on Sun May 06, 2012 8:36 am

Sorry jebe68 and everyone - I've now fixed the link for 'Warning Bell' in the original post.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat May 19, 2012 5:38 am

Joan was on the Radcliffe and Maconie show on BBC Radio 6 on 18 May, promoting some Sandy Denny tribute shows that she is involved in.

When asked about the duets album with David, she said that:

- she would say it is about 66% done
- string arrangements are done
- both she and David wrote material individually for the project, and then they wrote some material together
- it is difficult getting things completed as they are both busy, and live far away from one another
- she would like to see things done straight away, but that is not realistic!
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Joan is on the road, this time with Parker Kindred (drums) and Tyler Wood (keyboards), once again playing some of the new songs from the forthcoming Duets album.

We know that Parker has been part of the recordings with David.

Here is a version of Warning Bell from the 24 July concert at Lido, Berlin, with thanks to crazyritchie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lvSi7tYJ2g
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Collaborations