Sylvian/Sakamoto

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Sylvian/Sakamoto

Postby John Trevethan on Fri May 12, 2006 8:42 pm

I've always been fond of the Sylvian/Sakamoto collaborations (Forbidden Colors, Bamboo Music, Heartbeat) and just recently picked up World Citizen. I discovered the "I Won't Be Disappointed" track on Ryuichi's MySpace site and just loved it. It's a very simple arrangement but for some reason I can play the long version over and over and never get tired of it. (Probably David's voice, described by one journalist as "honey & hemp"!)

Also, I was always a bit unclear about how to pronounce Ryuichi Sakamoto's first name - having heard many people say RYE-YOU-CHEE. However I heard David Sylvian say it as RYE-YOU-EACH-EE, so I would take that as correct. :wink:
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Sat May 13, 2006 12:11 am

I love his work with Ryuichi Sakamoto too! World citizen is great. I hope they make more music together!

And I agree his voice is Honey and Hemp! Or as I call it, he has the "Velvet voice" ... Ooh, I need to make an avatar with that ;-)

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sylvian girl on Sat May 20, 2006 11:20 am

i love the Sylvian/Sakamoto stuff. Forbidden Colours is one of my favourite songs (which led me to watch merry christmas mr lawrence which is one of the best films ever) and Bamboo music is amazing :-D i do love that song so much and the video...... :smt007 :smt007
sylvian girl
Regular
Regular

Re: Sylvian/Sakamoto

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat May 20, 2006 7:36 pm

John Trevethan wrote:Also, I was always a bit unclear about how to pronounce Ryuichi Sakamoto's first name - having heard many people say RYE-YOU-CHEE. However I heard David Sylvian say it as RYE-YOU-EACH-EE, so I would take that as correct. :wink:

Well as far as I know the second is correct, although I have heard Sylvian pronounce it Ree-oo-each-ee.

Who knows, I'm afraid I am very guilty of mispronunciation of foreign words/names. I'm a big Sigur Ros fan - and I know how it is supposed to be pronounced, but I still stick to "Ross" instead of "Rose"

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat May 20, 2006 11:00 pm

But how do you pronounce "sigur"? Sugar Rose?

errrrnt...

See - hur - ross. :wink:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat May 27, 2006 11:50 pm

john you chose my favourite tune of theirs together.... I loved their collaborations but after hearing this I was just absolutely in awe. So simple and yet so potent.
Have you gotten the world citizen remix cd? It is very good and worth the money I think.
I also managed to find on iTunes a wonderfully beautiful mix of Forbidden Colours under Ryuichi's Cinemage cd. David sounds amazing.... R.S. always plays up David's vocals more than david does in mixing. I notice that but maybe its just me??

Yeah you had it right on the second pronunciation.... REE YOO EEE CHEE
I had a wonderul roommate from Japan ...sweetest person ever, but I just loved her name. Midori.... just a lovely lovely name... in english it translates into Green (at least this is what she told me).
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun May 28, 2006 8:24 am

I think my favorite collaboration of their's is Heartbeat, and the video is beautiful.

Ryuichi is a great arranger, I think his work on SOTB is amazing, he seems to have an almost perfect understanding of David's vision for his songs.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Sun May 28, 2006 9:51 am

proggrl wrote:But how do you pronounce "sigur"? Sugar Rose?

errrrnt...

See - hur - ross. :wink:

Ok Proggrl, first it's Phil McKrevis and now this. :-)

Actually - check this out...
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby John Trevethan on Sun May 28, 2006 9:57 am

godisinthesilences wrote:Have you gotten the world citizen remix cd? It is very good and worth the money I think.

After I heard the World Citizen MP3 on the Sakamoto MySpace site I HAD to have that song in CD quality. I couldn't find the remix CD anywhere, so I finally ordered it from Amazon.co.uk.

I love the CD, but had a little trouble getting into the final remix. One day I was in the car and decided to listen all the way through that remix and I ended up actually liking it.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Sylvian/Sakamoto

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 12:43 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote:
John Trevethan wrote:Also, I was always a bit unclear about how to pronounce Ryuichi Sakamoto's first name - having heard many people say RYE-YOU-CHEE. However I heard David Sylvian say it as RYE-YOU-EACH-EE, so I would take that as correct. :wink:

Well as far as I know the second is correct, although I have heard Sylvian pronounce it Ree-oo-each-ee.

Part of the confusion in this case comes from the spelling of his name as "Riuichi" on some of his early albums.

"Ryu" is one of those syllables that lots of us English-speaking folks have trouble pronouncing. It should really be pronounced like the English word "view", as if it began with an R. Then the "each-ee". But the "ee" should be short, and almost barely pronounced.

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

Collaborations

Postby exorbita on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:12 am

World Citizen proved to be yet another success from Sylvian/Sakamoto. I've always respected thier work together but even more so this one because the two never met for the project. When I first heard about the project and how it was being done I thought how great it would be if they included more artists to collaberate on it and make it a "World Project".
In further, I would love to see Sylvian record an album in the same manner (not style) as This Mortal Coil, including several artists and thie styles to perform. I have always thought that he belonged on one of the TMC albums. Even more so now that Hope Blister (the new TMC) has covered "let the happiness in".

Exorbita: http://www.myspace.com/exorbita
Behind every success is ambition...
Behind every ambition is effort...
Behind every effort is someone who's willing to try!
exorbita
Noob
Noob

Re: Collaborations

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 am

exorbita wrote:In further, I would love to see Sylvian record an album in the same manner (not style) as This Mortal Coil, including several artists and thie styles to perform.

I think the Nine Horses album is something like that, isnt it?
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:02 am

I kind of think most of david's cds are like that... he collaborates with so many people on each cd. I think blemish may be one he did sort of almost completely on his own. (i put those words in bold because i know he was inspired by some artists as well as getting guitar work from derek bailey)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Smalldot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:14 pm

Not to get off track about the pronunciation of Ryuichi's name but,

I've been trying to locate a release that contains Bamboo Music. I have not been able to find anything on it either searching by Japan, David Sylvian, or Ryuichi Sakamoto. Was Bamboo Music ever officially released?
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Bamboo Music

Postby Bern on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Bamboo Music was released as a double A side with Bamboo Houses
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Collaborations