kizunaworld.org

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

kizunaworld.org

Postby angel-a on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:30 pm

'On 3/11/2011, a massive earthquake and tsunamis hit Japan.

The extensive and tragic damage that the natural disasters caused, along with other human-rooted disasters (Fukushima nuclear disaster), call for an enormous amount of funding to reconstruct the disaster-stricken area. Already, many people throughout the world have been active in raising money, but the amount raised will never be enough. Ryuichi Sakamoto and Tomoyasu Hirano have founded “kizunaworld.org”, a project to support and rebuild the afflicted area as quickly as possible.

We want to do whatever we can as individuals to help the afflicted people, without any affiliation with an agency, record label or any type of organization.

At “kizunaworld.org” we hope to have like-minded artists donate their work, which we hope will in turn encourage even more contributions. The money raised will be given to the five aid organizations that we have determined are necessary to the reconstruction.'

Now David is contributing to the project with a song called 'Modern Interior' with Jan Bang.

'modern interior' was composed exclusively for Kizuna with the recent suffering and sacrifices of the Japanese people uppermost in mind. I'm an advocate for a nuclear energy free world and disasters, such as the one we've witnessed this year in Fukushima, only go to reinforce how volatile these kinds of facilities are with the inherent dangers far outweighing the potential good. These sentiments are echoed, somewhat obliquely, in the song itself.
- David Sylvian

For details on donation and download:
http://kizunaworld.org/english/

01 'KIZUNA' - prayer for Japan: music & video by Valerio Berruti & Ryuichi Sakamoto
02 'KIZUNA WORLD': music by Ryuichi Sakamoto featuring Arve Henriksen, photograpy by JVJA/forgazet, movie by Tomoyasu Hirano with Norika Sora
03 'KIZUNA motomnoto version': music originally written by Ryuichi Sakamoto re-modeled by Carsten Nicolai (a.k.a. Alva Noto)
04 'MODERN INTERIOR': music by Jan Bang and David Sylvian, lyrics by David Sylvian
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: kizunaworld.org

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Really good find, angel! And for a worthy cause, too! Thanks so very much for making that known.
That's a relatively brief track, but it's notable for how he stretches his range a tad bit more than usual. Those who prefer to hear Sylvian emote rather than keep firmly within his comfort zone may happen to enjoy it.
Thanks again.
Last edited by baht habit on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:29 am

:smt038 angela-a
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:34 pm

One track for $13? If he put the link on his samadhisound site like "A Certain Slant of Light" I would buy it, but I am not dealing with a Japanese Paypal site of unknown safety. Going to have to wait this one out.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm

missouriman wrote:One track for $13? If he put the link on his samadhisound site like "A Certain Slant of Light" I would buy it, but I am not dealing with a Japanese Paypal site of unknown safety. Going to have to wait this one out.

Well, perhaps it shouldn't be looked upon as if they are charging that amount for a song. One makes a donation of a relatively meager amount and, in turn, that person happens to receive a song as a sign of gratitude for assisting a nation in their time of great need.
I feel it's really no different from times when I donate to Public Broadcasting, let's say a pledge of $75, and I receive a dvd or cd or if I'm really lucky... a tote bag. :-) I am not donating an amount with the knowledge that it is the equivalent of the product I will receive and I would never expect it to be such.
As for the "Japanese Paypal" - when one goes through the process, there are numerous assurances that this is all done through your secure Paypal account, if you already have one, and so any level of safety is consistent with your domestic transactions.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 am

baht habit wrote:
missouriman wrote:One track for $13? If he put the link on his samadhisound site like "A Certain Slant of Light" I would buy it, but I am not dealing with a Japanese Paypal site of unknown safety. Going to have to wait this one out.

Well, perhaps it shouldn't be looked upon as if they are charging that amount for a song. One makes a donation of a relatively meager amount and, in turn, that person happens to receive a song as a sign of gratitude for assisting a nation in their time of great need.
I feel it's really no different from times when I donate to Public Broadcasting, let's say a pledge of $75, and I receive a dvd or cd or if I'm really lucky... a tote bag. :-) I am not donating an amount with the knowledge that it is the equivalent of the product I will receive and I would never expect it to be such.
As for the "Japanese Paypal" - when one goes through the process, there are numerous assurances that this is all done through your secure Paypal account, if you already have one, and so any level of safety is consistent with your domestic transactions.

:smt038 for baht.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 am

Donation and download complete.

:smt038 for missouriman.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 am

missouriman wrote:Donation and download complete.

:smt038 for missouriman.

:smt038
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Six One Cynic on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't believe I have ever heard DS sing quite like this, he almost always stays well within that pleasantly burnt-out murmur we all love, too poor to afford this right now though. In time.
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby Blemished on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 am

I think it's a little gem of a track - it's only 2'39" long, but works very well. £7 for a good cause plus a DS track seems fine to me.

It's quite similar in nature to the Bang / Honore collaborations on DITW - quite dark, reverb-soaked orchestral atmospherics and faint touches of soft keyboards - the pitch he's singing at really does add to the post-apocalyptic mood - slightly strained and distressed - and I love the bit at the end where he sings "last one to leave / turn out the lights", followed by a lovely bit of echoing piano.

As for Japanese paypal - just keep clicking the obvious button - when you log in to your account to pay, that bit reverts to English - it's very straightforward.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:45 am

Firstly, thanks to Angel-a for alerting us to this track, that's the wonderful thing about forums such as these, keeping us aware of things that we might otherwise miss. I had a few problems downloading, possibly due to my laptop configuration, but this was swiftly sorted after some email correspondence. I like the vocal here and agree that this is a track to treasure. It again shows how well David works with Jan Bang. I also immensely enjoyed the version of Thermal, live with Jan Bang and Arve Henriksen that I was directed to from David's facebook page recently. The link there seems to take you to a point half way through the 9 minute piece, but if you listen to the whole track on Youtube, you will hear wonderful playing by Henrikson and great electronics from Bang that produce a version of the track that I prefer to the previous versions I have heard.

Also, great that David is supporting the work in Japan following the earthquake and tsunami through the Kizuna world project.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Collaborations